Ideas to raise our visibility ?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Is there any reason - besides money - that we couldn't be the most media connected stadium in the area ?? I am talking about having live stats sent to your phone , maybe even replays ? Ordering food from concessions on line ??

I think the GT Gameday app has live stats during the games. The app has live audio from the radio broadcast, but it is too far behind to listen to. To get video replays, they would probably need to put in good wifi for everyone.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think the GT Gameday app has live stats during the games. The app has live audio from the radio broadcast, but it is too far behind to listen to. To get video replays, they would probably need to put in good wifi for everyone.
Unfortunately, living in Wisconsin, I haven't been to a game in several years, but I could get the app. Thanks !

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Tech Fans: We need more money; we can't compete with other schools that have larger budgets.
Idea: We could do what UW has done, approach Delta Airlines, a large airline based in Atlanta, and offer naming rights for $5 million per year over 5 years, gaining $25 million for athletics.
Tech Fans: No! Our history! Harrumph, harrumph, harrumph.

I didn't get a harrumph outta that guy!
Give the governor a harrumph!
Harrumph!

gtcs05

Georgia Tech Fan

The Gameday app is nice for some things, but I have to switch to the TuneIn app to get the audio for games, most times. Like you said, the Gameday app is lags behind a lot, or in my experience is often unable to get the audio stream at all. TuneIn is much more reliable.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It all about the coaching. We were a respected and admired team under O’leary And Fridgen. Despite some success, we have not captured the imagination of anyone under 60 years old with Gailey and Johnson. We need an identity and that identity can’t be 30 dive plays a game.

As for naming the stadium, if it brought in enough money, we could name it the Tampon Maxipad stadium for all I care.

The Gameday app is nice for some things, but I have to switch to the TuneIn app to get the audio for games, most times. Like you said, the Gameday app is lags behind a lot, or in my experience is often unable to get the audio stream at all. TuneIn is much more reliable.
I haven't been able to get audio on the Gameday app since 2016, for any event. In 2016, I got all audio broadcasts there, although the volume level was mostly pretty low. Now I get everything I need on Tunein, and the volume level is fine.

It all about the coaching. We were a respected and admired team under O’leary And Fridgen. Despite some success, we have not captured the imagination of anyone under 60 years old with Gailey and Johnson. We need an identity and that identity can’t be 30 dive plays a game.

As for naming the stadium, if it brought in enough money, we could name it the Tampon Maxipad stadium for all I care.
You may not like the identity we have under Johnson, but we definitely have one, and IMO it's a good one.

Deleted member 2897

When I attended Tech back in the early 70s, we seemed to be at least holding our own in the state with our visibility and profile. However, since the Dwags won their NC in 1980 our paths have diverged. We had a " cup of coffee" in the limelight in 1991, but our inconsistent success since has not helped us build a long lasting fanbase.
Obviously winning 9+ games a year CONSISTENTLY is a must. But unless I am missing something we are going to get absolutely buried and left for dead by the avalanche building in Athens. If they get near the NC this year and we go 7-5 and a trip to Shreveport, or worse, we may never be heard from again ( kind of like Tulane vs LSU ).
It is urgent that we ( AD , the Hill, us fans ) pull out all the stops to raise our profile and visibility in the state and nation.
The AJC is only going to devote space to us in direct relation to how much we win vs how much the Dwags are winning. So presently that's next to nothing.
One idea that caught my eye around here. The Gophers are trying to raise their athletic profile and recently announced they had 5 commitments on one day for 2019 football. That got some attention. Could we arrange something like that ?
Anybody else have any ideas ??

Georgia has one of the weakest schedules in FBS, but apparently nobody cares. So if all we care about is 9 wins, then let’s schedule 4 cupcakes. Then all we need is 5-3 in the ACC. Duke, Virginia, UNC, Pitt, and a crossover win. Done. But is that really what we want? I mean, it’s a legitimate option. We laugh at how awful their schedule is, but it seems like nobody else does.

Deleted member 2897

Tech Fans: We need more money; we can't compete with other schools that have larger budgets.
Idea: We could do what UW has done, approach Delta Airlines, a large airline based in Atlanta, and offer naming rights for $5 million per year over 5 years, gaining $25 million for athletics.
Tech Fans: No! Our history! Harrumph, harrumph, harrumph.

Ain’t no airline gonna buy the rights to a stadium where the ball is never aired out. :cigar:

Deleted member 2897

I actually think we should embrace the "nerd" tag. Nerd culture is in right now, half the kids we are recruiting probably grew up playing video games and watching anime. Hell one of the biggest trends of 2018 has been Fortnite. For those who don't know Fortnite is an online video game thats played by everyone from NBA & NFL athletes to A-list celebs. Hell Drake had over half a million viewers watching him (and others) play a few months ago. Maybe its just me but I think the "Nerd Athlete" brand would appeal to more recruits than we think (if done right).

If we paid to fly in Ninja, Daequon, Myth, etc and had them sign autographs, we would sell out every game. Or let some random drawing winners play Fortnite against the pros on the big screen a couple hours pre-game. I’m telling you every game would sell out.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Georgia has one of the weakest schedules in FBS, but apparently nobody cares. So if all we care about is 9 wins, then let’s schedule 4 cupcakes. Then all we need is 5-3 in the ACC. Duke, Virginia, UNC, Pitt, and a crossover win. Done. But is that really what we want? I mean, it’s a legitimate option. We laugh at how awful their schedule is, but it seems like nobody else does.

The mutts will play a much easier schedule than us (Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, UMass, and Vandy). Even though it’s easy, they will be ranked high because they will get to ride last year’s success. If our records are the same on the day of COFH, their ranking will probably be higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If we paid to fly in Ninja, Daequon, Myth, etc and had them sign autographs, we would sell out every game. Or let some random drawing winners play Fortnite against the pros on the big screen a couple hours pre-game. I’m telling you every game would sell out.

Who are they? I thought those were the names of the Ninja Turtles at first but no.

Deleted member 2897

Man I’m getting old. You can get paid to play video games? Unreal.

Ninja (Tyler Blevins) makes over $500,000 PER MONTH. Google a CNBC story on him...

Epic Games (the game developer) makes over $200 million PER MONTH.

The “pro’s” livestream with 10s of thousands of viewers. A live tournament in Vegas a few months ago broke the all time livestream YouTube record. Those streamers will then post the video to YouTube and within a few days they’ll have millions of views (which drives as revenue). This game is HUGE.

I left a message with some ideas to ADTS. I recommended he ask around some of the student athletes, students, and colleagues who are parents to take a pulse. I’m convinced there is an opportunity there - even if you don’t leverage a Pro. Just offering a tournament with prizes would be a huge draw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
You do realize that we are one of the 4 cupcakes you are referring to.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'd say we should have Delta sponsor our Defense, but let's face it. We don't have enough stops in Atlanta.

Eeeeeeyyyyyooooo!!!!