Ideas to raise our visibility ?

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I firmly believe more than half the folks walking around in uGA sweatshirts couldn't care 2 cents about uGA football. They live in Georgia; and the "Georgia" sweatshirts for sale at Walmart just happen to be red and black.
I have had more than one UGA fan tell me they pull for the Dwags because they are from the State of Georgia not the State of Georgia Tech.

The honest truth is that UGA is seen as the natural team for a sidewalk fan in this state. Tech is a niche program that attracts support primarily and overwhelmingly from alums and those with an immediate family connection.

Because of several factors this is unlikely to ever change in the foreseeable future. Because of its much larger size and more diverse curriculum, UGA has a firm hold on the media and political machine in Georgia. It has a much larger fanbase that demands coverage and adulation and backs that up with tons and tons of money. This large fan base continues to grow whether they are 7-5 or 12-0.

It would take a 10-20 year run of unprecedented success by Tech athletics combined with an unprecedented 10-20 year drought of success by the UGA program to make a dent in this. It ain't ever gonna happen.

Around the time Dodd left and Dooley showed up, a war for hearts and minds of the college football fans began in this state. Tech lost. We just don't realize we are dead yet.

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I have had more than one UGA fan tell me they pull for the Dwags because they are from the State of Georgia not the State of Georgia Tech.

The honest truth is that UGA is seen as the natural team for a sidewalk fan in this state. Tech is a niche program that attracts support primarily and overwhelmingly from alums and those with an immediate family connection.

Because of several factors this is unlikely to ever change in the foreseeable future. Because of its much larger size and more diverse curriculum, UGA has a firm hold on the media and political machine in Georgia. It has a much larger fanbase that demands coverage and adulation and backs that up with tons and tons of money. This large fan base continues to grow whether they are 7-5 or 12-0.

It would take a 10-20 year run of unprecedented success by Tech athletics combined with an unprecedented 10-20 year drought of success by the UGA program to make a dent in this. It ain't ever gonna happen.

Around the time Dodd left and Dooley showed up, a war for hearts and minds of the college football fans began in this state. Tech lost. We just don't realize we are dead yet.

Very inspirational.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; pulling for UGA just because they are in the state of Georgia is like pulling for the Devil just because he’s in the Bible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

I didn't mean to imply that we were to overtake UGA. Just raise our profile to keep our heads above water against the tsunami that seems to be building. Is your thought to do NOTHING because it's hopeless ?

Ok, so for some reality:
1.Living out here in the West no body really watches or knows anything about college football. I think it is safe to say that when you get over the Mississippi or North of the Mason Dixon line college football is not followed.
2. For those that follow College football, they know us quite well, you may not like it but......"Man that Triple Option is tough." CPJ and his offense have brought about what we are.
3. We are on TV a lot.
4. Quit worrying about Georgia and the AJC. We will always be thought of less than UGA, and that is what makes beating them so special.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so for some reality:
1.Living out here in the West no body really watches or knows anything about college football. I think it is safe to say that when you get over the Mississippi or North of the Mason Dixon line college football is not followed.
2. For those that follow College football, they know us quite well, you may not like it but......"Man that Triple Option is tough." CPJ and his offense have brought about what we are.
3. We are on TV a lot.
4. Quit worrying about Georgia and the AJC. We will always be thought of less than UGA, and that is what makes beating them so special.
Don't agree with your first point

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It all about the coaching. We were a respected and admired team under O’leary And Fridgen. Despite some success, we have not captured the imagination of anyone under 60 years old with Gailey and Johnson. We need an identity and that identity can’t be 30 dive plays a game.

As for naming the stadium, if it brought in enough money, we could name it the Tampon Maxipad stadium for all I care.
Only if we're playing the Crimson Tide!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
In 1990 GT was either under the fold or on the second sports page each Sunday. The mutts were on the top of the sports page fold and many times on the front page. GT can get national press attention, but will never get highlighted local media attention no matter how well the football team does. Too many press people in Atlanta graduated from the cesspool to allow GT to get top billing in the local media.

You may be correct, but I would like to see some proof of how many graduated from the cesspool.

We don't win enough big games. We are too inconsistent. We don't schedule like we should. We don't recruit like we should. We run an absurd O for P5.

As evidenced, so far, by the new fundraising effort, we still have a now deserved elitist attitude.

There have got to be a ton of posters on the board who were not around when the scumbag, alcoholic Lewis Lizzard was writing for the ajc. They would have committed suicide as compared to what is printed today.

Those thinking we don't get the coverage we deserve must not have been around when Bobby C was here. We got great coverage.

Last edited:

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
So some ideas that I think would work well. (Some already mentioned in this thread).

1. Sell naming rights to various sub-components of the stadiums. You want a football suite, $1MM annually, for $500,000 you can get a suite at McCamish or the Rusty C, for $250,000 you can get a suite at Mewborn or any of the other stadiums/venues.

2. Use the "Presented by" trick to sell naming rights to the stadium and fields. BDS@HGF Presented by Delta, or Russ Chandler Stadium Presented by Mizuno. Alexander McCamish Pavilion @ Cremins Court presented by Intuit Quick Books. This gets us sponsorship money while maintaining the proper names of the stadiums

3. Pay for more ad space on non-680 related radio stations. Get a Yellow Jacket Roundtable on Wednesdays hosted by Joe Hamilton and Andy Demetra to counteract the Bulldog Roundtable they have on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In fact, every Tech fan and supporter should email the people on this list and ask for more GT content. http://www.680thefan.com/management-contact-info/

4. Sell tours of facilities in that facility's offseason. As a tie in with being a technology leader use some sort of VR to help people experience the field of play.

5. Support local GT event nights like the upcoming June 15 game at SunTrust Park

6. Work with the hill to raise the status of the school in the city. Pay for advertising on Marta, billboards, radio. Have a campaign to spread GT's everywhere ITP, and in targeted OTP locations. Stress our strength as an economic engine, a start up hub, a job creator. Make sure that every new company that comes mentions the talent pool at Tech. Spread Tech lore at MomoCon, DragonCon, Atlanta Comic Con, the Chick-fil-A kick off games and bowls (perhaps a short video presentation in pre-game or halftime highlighting Tech as the "Host Institution"

7. A marketing campaign about putting the "I" in the "ATL" (a'la the 2008 "Screw the U, Fear the I" bits)

8. Install awnings over the stadium that have various corporate logos of sponsorship on them.

9. Convince Atlanta United to form a special relationship with us, 1 game a year in BDS, more Gold in the 5 stripes unis, constantly being thankful to the support that GT provided to get them off the ground.

10. When GTAA buildings and spaces are not in use rent them as event space, little league city championships (free space at Rusty C and Mewbourne), Big corporate event, top floor of the new Edge overlooking BDS. Big swim meet, come swim at the home of Olympic Champions. Concerts, video game tourneys in AMC, etc

11. You win a state Championship in any sport, you get a trip to midtown to see the Yellow Jackets play/compete in your sport and a second of your choosing. If you make the final 4 of any state tourney you get steeply discounted tickets for same events. Become the home and destination of as many youth sports championships, celebrations, etc as we can. Get people used to coming into the city for sporting events.

12. Design, market, and push for politically an improved mass transit system (designed by Graduates and Students of Atlanta's own Georgia Tech) for two purposes. 1 Make it easier to get folks to the games (a train out of the NW on a Thursday night would be lovely, 2. to fix traffic and let people know that we did it. Marketing and publicity are key.

This would be a start, and yes it would require some spending to get rolling. However, just being vocal, which as a long time resident of Atlanta we do not seem to ever be in the news or on people's lips, should help tremendously.As fans we can possibly affect #3 and in general we just need to be loud and proud. Greet each other in the store (What's the good word should not get uncomprehending stares at Kroger), wear Tech gear 2-3 times a week during major sporting seasons. Generally remind people we exist and that there are a lot of us. If you can, and are a season ticket holder, bring someone new to a game each year, spread the love.

Thoughts, comments, halucinations?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So some ideas that I think would work well. (Some already mentioned in this thread).

1. Sell naming rights to various sub-components of the stadiums. You want a football suite, $1MM annually, for $500,000 you can get a suite at McCamish or the Rusty C, for $250,000 you can get a suite at Mewborn or any of the other stadiums/venues.

2. Use the "Presented by" trick to sell naming rights to the stadium and fields. BDS@HGF Presented by Delta, or Russ Chandler Stadium Presented by Mizuno. Alexander McCamish Pavilion @ Cremins Court presented by Intuit Quick Books. This gets us sponsorship money while maintaining the proper names of the stadiums

3. Pay for more ad space on non-680 related radio stations. Get a Yellow Jacket Roundtable on Wednesdays hosted by Joe Hamilton and Andy Demetra to counteract the Bulldog Roundtable they have on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In fact, every Tech fan and supporter should email the people on this list and ask for more GT content. http://www.680thefan.com/management-contact-info/

4. Sell tours of facilities in that facility's offseason. As a tie in with being a technology leader use some sort of VR to help people experience the field of play.

5. Support local GT event nights like the upcoming June 15 game at SunTrust Park

6. Work with the hill to raise the status of the school in the city. Pay for advertising on Marta, billboards, radio. Have a campaign to spread GT's everywhere ITP, and in targeted OTP locations. Stress our strength as an economic engine, a start up hub, a job creator. Make sure that every new company that comes mentions the talent pool at Tech. Spread Tech lore at MomoCon, DragonCon, Atlanta Comic Con, the Chick-fil-A kick off games and bowls (perhaps a short video presentation in pre-game or halftime highlighting Tech as the "Host Institution"

7. A marketing campaign about putting the "I" in the "ATL" (a'la the 2008 "Screw the U, Fear the I" bits)

8. Install awnings over the stadium that have various corporate logos of sponsorship on them.

9. Convince Atlanta United to form a special relationship with us, 1 game a year in BDS, more Gold in the 5 stripes unis, constantly being thankful to the support that GT provided to get them off the ground.

10. When GTAA buildings and spaces are not in use rent them as event space, little league city championships (free space at Rusty C and Mewbourne), Big corporate event, top floor of the new Edge overlooking BDS. Big swim meet, come swim at the home of Olympic Champions. Concerts, video game tourneys in AMC, etc

11. You win a state Championship in any sport, you get a trip to midtown to see the Yellow Jackets play/compete in your sport and a second of your choosing. If you make the final 4 of any state tourney you get steeply discounted tickets for same events. Become the home and destination of as many youth sports championships, celebrations, etc as we can. Get people used to coming into the city for sporting events.

12. Design, market, and push for politically an improved mass transit system (designed by Graduates and Students of Atlanta's own Georgia Tech) for two purposes. 1 Make it easier to get folks to the games (a train out of the NW on a Thursday night would be lovely, 2. to fix traffic and let people know that we did it. Marketing and publicity are key.

This would be a start, and yes it would require some spending to get rolling. However, just being vocal, which as a long time resident of Atlanta we do not seem to ever be in the news or on people's lips, should help tremendously.As fans we can possibly affect #3 and in general we just need to be loud and proud. Greet each other in the store (What's the good word should not get uncomprehending stares at Kroger), wear Tech gear 2-3 times a week during major sporting seasons. Generally remind people we exist and that there are a lot of us. If you can, and are a season ticket holder, bring someone new to a game each year, spread the love.

Thoughts, comments, halucinations?

#12 should be the easiest of them all. :)

I would add, try to bring in some concerts to BDS. Those used to be fantastic.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I'm interested to know why you think that would be easy. The State just passed a transportation law that will allow combining Cobb and/or Gwinnett transportation authorities with MARTA, or expansion of Cobb and/or Gwinnett transportation services. However, the design of such a system will be very easy compared to the political and financial needs to get such projects approved and funded. Modifications and expansions of roads are the same. The design of roads is much easier than the political fights over them.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The design of roads is much easier than the political fights over them.

Huh? Have you ever designed a road? The politicians along with numerous other factors make road design a very tedious and long journey. I helped design a 4 mile stretch of a state highway and the final plans were 1200 ANSI D pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Have you ever designed a road? The politicians along with numerous other factors make road design a very tedious and long journey. I helped design a 4 mile stretch of a state highway and the final plans were 1200 ANSI D pages.

In and around Atlanta there has been constant political fighting over mass transit for at least 40 years. Some people have been trying to get MARTA rail to Cobb county for at least 40 years. The thing that has stopped it hasn't been the design of the rail system, it has been politics. I am in no way attempting to say that designing a road or designing a rail system is fifth grade work. I am saying that the political climate around Atlanta regarding roads and mass transit is toxic.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Get more tv time on local stations throughout Georgia about innovation projects at GT, e.g. robotics, bio engineering, drone racing, video gaming. Things that interest high school kids. We cannot compete with UGA in the papers. The sports writers are UGA grads.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

I would add, try to bring in some concerts to BDS. Those used to be fantastic.
Concerts are part of point 10. Can you imagine the Georgia Tech music festival with Stages at Rusty C, Mewborn, Ken Byers (tennis), George Griffin (track and field), the burger bowl, with headliners at Bobby Dodd and AMC? It would be epic.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Go in heavy with Men's and Women's Soccer? Build on what Atlanta United brought to GT during their first season. Would also help get more use of BDS. And as much as I hate to say it, I think it's the sport of the future in the US. Better to start a tradition of success now rather than later.

Concerts at McCamish. I don't know whether access/parking are an issue, but could be a good venue for the medium-large concerts. I would do this during the summer when there are less students and less scheduling conflicts with sports. It gets people who wouldn't normally be on campus here, and it better utilizes our facilities.

I would emphasize impact on Atlanta specifically, and Georgia as a whole. Tell the story of how much research goes on at GT. How many startups have been created by GT grads? How many C-level executives went to GT? Maybe this feeds the GT elitism, but I think it also tells the story that GT is responsible for a lot of economic growth and opportunity in Atlanta and Georgia as a whole.

Oh, and win. Win a lot. That fixes a lot of problems.