Hey is it time to talk Uni's

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you want to select what's cool in the kids' eyes...be prepared to sign a series of one year deals.

Money talks and BS walks. Bottom line will decide the selection.
Nike has been cool to kids for a very long time Adidas and AU have also been popular for a little while now.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...a-tech-will-with-nike/w9sMNjLRtgKA74Frax05SN/
“I would be very surprised if Georgia Tech doesn’t go with Nike,” said Jonathan Jensen, an assistant professor of sports administration at the University of North Carolina.

The re-branding at Oregon State was provided free of charge by Nike, a process that reportedly took almost two years and involved input from athletic department administrators, coaches and athletes. The company has done it for North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee, among other partners.

“Nike does those things not as a money maker, but to deepen relationships,” Jensen said.
Stansbury was at Oregon State for much of that rebranding process, although he had left to take the head job at UCF (another Nike school) by the time of the launch in March 2013. In January 2016, after his return to Corvallis, Ore., Nike took him and two other athletic directors – Virginia Tech’s Whit Babcock and Iowa State’s Jamie Pollard – to China, Vietnam and Hong Kong to tour its factories. The trip, paid for by Nike, also included sightseeing, posh hotels and first-class dining.

“You can see how Georgia Tech, from a branding standpoint, could really benefit from working with Nike in terms of their rebranding, like Oregon and UNC and Oregon State have with Nike, where they might be willing to take a little less cash than they have been receiving throughout, to switch over,” Jensen said.
Adidas is believed to be making a strong push for Tech. The company has secured deals in recent years with Miami and Arizona State, schools that are similar to Tech as far as being located in major cities and needing revenue.

“They have been targeting schools that are below the FBS mean in revenue that reside in large markets, where they feel they can make a big splash and generate activity on social media,” Jensen wrote in an e-mail
However, Jensen suspects that Tech may not fit Under Armour’s strategic plans. The Baltimore-based brand has presence in the Southeast through Auburn and South Carolina. Also, in an earnings call last October, Plank noted “the escalation in the price” of sponsorships. UCLA’s 2016 deal with Under Armour, $280 million for 15 years, was the largest in college sports history.

“It would not surprise me at all if they would be kind of in the process of taking a step back,” Jensen said
Given Stansbury's connections, it would seem that Nike is the brand to beat here. Their willingness to provide free rebranding is definitely a major perk, but I am not sure that is worth enough to choose them if they are offering us significantly less money. As an aside, with them already being aligned to the mutts, I am not sure how much of push they would provide us with when they already have the biggest fish in our market.

I had also thought that UA was going to gun hard for us, but that does not appear to be the case any longer.

Although I am not really a big Adidas fan, if they are willing to pony up more money AND make us a priority for them as they try to penetrate the Atlanta market, I will gladly jump on board. Just look at the social media blitz Adidas has put on for Miami. Honestly, all the brands will provide some sort of quality rebranding for a nominal or no fee, so finding the one that truly sees us as an asset vs another feather in the cap is probably the most important thing for me*.

*Assuming all of the offers are within a reasonable amount of each other.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I like Nike. Always been a Nike guy but the buzz Adidas is making right now is big. I think a partnership with them would be huge as far as marketing and branding. I just get the "small fish big pond" type feel with Nike. They mention UCF and Oregon St as being rebranded but I couldn't tell you if they are or not. Then I look at Louisville and there deal with Adidas and evey time I open an eastbay magazine or go to adidas website or champs or finish line and there's Louisville stuff everywhere. Same as Miami and Texas A&M. I just don't think we get the love from Nike as we would Adidas.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder what impact the new Adidas factory located in Cherokee County will play in this decision. Some kind of R&D partnership with a GT engineering program? Engineering/design internships, etc? That could be a very positive thing - assuming there are no associated NCAA violations.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just gonna throw this out there. Something I think isn't on anyone's radar. The Tech fan base is small relatively, we concede that. But is there a more starved fan base for merchandise and apparel than the Tech fan base? I highly doubt it and the winning company in this process might get a big unforeseen boost in sales if licensing and merchandising are done properly.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't expect a big change in the unis. The athletic department has always determined the uniforms. Russell took directions from GT, they could have come up with all kinds of alternate uniforms if the GT staff would let them. The big difference will be the amount of swag the players will get. Some of the materials used will be better but the uniforms aren't going to change much.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Don't expect a big change in the unis. The athletic department has always determined the uniforms. Russell took directions from GT, they could have come up with all kinds of alternate uniforms if the GT staff would let them. The big difference will be the amount of swag the players will get. Some of the materials used will be better but the uniforms aren't going to change much.
If the new supplier keeps last years unis I'll be happy.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
I just want to be able to find some good gear without having to scour the internet. Good gameday shirts in the right color gold are too hard to find and it makes no sense. I hope whomever we get produces the correct color gold apparel and makes it standard. No more school bus yellow and all that other garbage.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm hoping for North Face
Not South Butt?
north_butt.gif

Well, I started this thread so here is my question. What does it matter who is our uniform provider. Are we really going to make a big change in our uniforms for Football? White tops, gold pants, white pants on the road. What can be changed?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well, I started this thread so here is my question. What does it matter who is our uniform provider. Are we really going to make a big change in our uniforms for Football? White tops, gold pants, white pants on the road. What can be changed?
Yes it will make a huge difference. They will fit better, come out with better designs, attract kids because use of the "name" and one of the most important, whatever company we sign with will work on our GT "brand".