Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Final update... Just woke up a little while ago and thinking about picking up bagels for breakfast. Maybe take a nap this afternoon.

Overall, grateful to not have side effects the way many friends did after one of their shots.

Looking forward to getting back to McCamish this winter.

GT_EE78

Banned
this one is interesting.maybe folks should get an anti-body test first?

"We analyze an updated individual-level database of the entire population of Israel to assess the protection efficacy of both prior infection and vaccination in preventing subsequent SARS-CoV-2 infection, hospitalization with COVID-19, severe disease, and death due to COVID-19.

Vaccination was highly effective with overall estimated efficacy for documented infection of 92.8% (CI: [92.6, 93.0]); hospitalization 94.2% (CI: [93.6, 94.7]); severe illness 94.4% (CI: [93.6, 95.0]); and death 93.7% (CI: [92.5, 94.7]). Similarly, the overall estimated level of protection from prior SARS-CoV-2 infection for documented infection is 94.8% (CI: [94.4, 95.1]); hospitalization 94.1% (CI: [91.9, 95.7]); and severe illness 96.4% (CI: [92.5, 98.3])."

Deleted member 2897

this one is interesting.maybe folks should get an anti-body test first?

"We analyze an updated individual-level database of the entire population of Israel to assess the protection efficacy of both prior infection and vaccination in preventing subsequent SARS-CoV-2 infection, hospitalization with COVID-19, severe disease, and death due to COVID-19.

Vaccination was highly effective with overall estimated efficacy for documented infection of 92.8% (CI: [92.6, 93.0]); hospitalization 94.2% (CI: [93.6, 94.7]); severe illness 94.4% (CI: [93.6, 95.0]); and death 93.7% (CI: [92.5, 94.7]). Similarly, the overall estimated level of protection from prior SARS-CoV-2 infection for documented infection is 94.8% (CI: [94.4, 95.1]); hospitalization 94.1% (CI: [91.9, 95.7]); and severe illness 96.4% (CI: [92.5, 98.3])."

This is one of the bigger reasons why I think the CDC is so wrong about herd immunity. I don't know why they ignore major parts of what the science is telling us. 10% of our country has tested positive. Estimates for real infection rates (remember that two-thirds of spread comes from asymptomatic people, so a lot of people get it and don't know it, so they never get tested) hover around 30%. A lot of those people have gotten vaccinated I'm sure, but there is some large percentage of that who won't get it (think kids and younger adults). About 45% of Americans have now gotten at least 1 shot. Those two numbers are not mutually exclusive, so we don't have 75% of Americans with some level of protection...but I wouldn't doubt if its 55%-65%. About 22% of the population is young enough they can't get the vaccine. But their health risk is near zero anyway. So we are effectively somewhere around 70%-85% immune right now in my opinion based on vaccines and infections and young people in total. We had 32,000 new cases yesterday. We've had like 1 single day that low since June of last year. Thats the level of daily infections we were averaging when we were completely shut down last year. We had 280 deaths yesterday. We have only had lower daily deaths like 2 days since APRIL OF LAST YEAR. Was any of this on the news? Of course not.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
Its actually 6 weeks ago - it proves that people have operated safely without mandates, because cases should have risen about a month ago. It proves the second part of your sentence - mandates and shutdowns only work if people follow them. And the last year has shown us that shutdowns aren't followed - the states with the most restrictive rules have crushed their economies with no discernible difference in covid outcomes. The truth is you can't 'shutdown'. People have to work, they have to buy things like food to survive. Someone has to stock the food, sell the food, deliver it, grow it. Those companies then need to buy packaging, utilities, and so on, so those companies need to operate...and on down the line.
Again, your first sentence doesn't prove anything. People operated safely without mandates after almost a year of mandates. I know you're commenting in bad faith so it's fine im not really here to argue with you since that's the case.

You just wanted the world to go on as normal and everyone catch COVID? yeah thanks glad you're not my leader

Deleted member 2897

Again, your first sentence doesn't prove anything. People operated safely without mandates after almost a year of mandates. I know you're commenting in bad faith so it's fine im not really here to argue with you since that's the case.

You just wanted the world to go on as normal and everyone catch COVID? yeah thanks glad you're not my leader

I never said any of that. I think you have the wrong person.

Deleted member 2897

Genuinely wondering what your preferred reaction to a pandemic is if lockdowns and restrictions don't work?

What I've personally done and advocated and what has been proven to work. Leave the economy as open as you can (for example, having large indoor church services where people sing, etc. isn't smart), and have everyone wear masks, keep their distance, and practice good hygiene. You can do almost anything you want if you do those things.

Look at what states are in economic ruin at the bottom. Now compare their covid death rates to the others. You won't see a discernible difference in most cases. And as incredible as it sounds, many of them actually have the worst death rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.