He Gets It

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree with just about everything......but isn't the M/F ratio about even now? Compare to the 10-1 when I was there, the 60-1 when my older brother was there.........and were women even allowed at Tech when Supersize was there? :p

37% of the students at Georgia Tech are female.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think you’ll find many comments from players that any coach is a bad recruiter. We don’t have to put a lot of emphasis on star ratings.
What you will see is losing recruits to other schools, particularly recruits we’ve offered scholarships to or have committed. Ignore Alabama; head to head against Duke or UNC or UVA or NCState for the same player, how have we done for the past 10 years? Even when we were ranked?
Or think about Dabo as a salesman for the Clemson program vs CPJ here. Dabo had a pizza party for Clemson in the NC year. Or how Pastner sells the basketball program. That has impact with the fans and the players, and it’s clearly not CPJ’s strength.
Selling your program and creating excitement about what you’re doing is a critical part of recruiting. Successful recruiters reinforce that message through the press and through any channels they have.
I’m not a CPJ-hater. He’s just got some weaknesses. And it’s not likely we’ll change a coach who’s been this way for decades
TStan’s job would be a lot easier if CPJ were more of a booster and salesman for his own program. And TStan does get it. There are places that CPJ doesn’t get it though, or if he does then he needs someone to do what he’s not able to do. As it is, TStan is going to have to do that boosting for the football program, or put in support services to make that happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can get on-board with most of this. CPJ's been around a long time. I think he has a clear understanding of what he thinks is important and what's not. We may not agree with him, but you're right in that we're not going to change him at this point. He's a straight shooter in every facet, and that sometimes contrasts with the rah-rah guy. He'll never be that guy. But is that what we really need? Maybe it is, I truly don't know. Its hard for this 49 year old to understand today's youth, and I have children 20, 18, 15 and 9/9.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm a Johnsonian and hope he never leaves. But it's extremely obvious that he's not a good recruiter. He gets a lot done with a little, he would be winning multiple nattys at a factory like Nebraska or Michigan though. I firmly believe that. The "proof" that you're looking for is right in front of you, you shouldn't have to hear it from an 18yr old kid to "believe" it. "Some recruiting service metric" as you put it is pretty black and white. That same metric wasn't questioned when Giff Smith had the 2007 haul that brought us a title. Heck no, we celebrated that class immediately because it was ranked 14th or 11th, cant remember. Most Tech fans only say it's not important because we keep hauling in middle of the road classes, it's the optimistic thing to say as a fan and I understand that. But it's not accurate.

Recruiting has been abysmal under PJ, it's just not his forte. I want us to bring in a young good recruiter to run that but I don't want PJ to leave Tech until he retires. I love him as our coach, flaws and all.
I was not a fan of the CPJ hire, just because the offense was so different and would be difficult to recruit top players like we got in 2007 on offense. Over the past 10 years I've changed my opinion about CPJ. You say he'd have multiple NC at a more factory school, but that means he'd have better recruits. Kind of contradicts not being a decent recruiter. I'm just not fully convinced he's a bad recruiter.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I was not a fan of the CPJ hire, just because the offense was so different and would be difficult to recruit top players like we got in 2007 on offense. Over the past 10 years I've changed my opinion about CPJ. You say he'd have multiple NC at a more factory school, but that means he'd have better recruits. Kind of contradicts not being a decent recruiter. I'm just not fully convinced he's a bad recruiter.
But your point has been proven right. We can't recruit top players with CPJ as our coach

Milwaukee

Banned

Factories recruit on their own, he wouldn't need to be a worldbeater recruiter at those places was the point. There's nothing contradicting.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Factories recruit on their own, he wouldn't need to be a worldbeater recruiter at those places was the point. There's nothing contradicting.
I guess the never to be known question is “would his offense be such a negative in recruiting that it would cancel out the factories recruiting on their own?”

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that many schools recruit themselves. But there's a world of difference between being a worldbeater recruiter and being a bad recruiter. The discussion, as I've put it isn't whether CPJ is a worldbeater recruiter, it's whether he's a bad recruiter. I'm just not convinced he's a bad recruiter. I don't believe anyone would classify CPJ as a worldbeater recruiter.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
  1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  2. California Institute of Technology
  3. Harvey Mudd College
  4. United States Naval Academy
  5. Rice University
  6. Johns Hopkins University
  7. United States Air Force Academy
  8. Carnegie Mellon University
  9. United States Coast Guard Academy
  10. United States Merchant Marine Academy
  11. Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
  12. Lehigh University
  13. Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus
  14. University of Rochester
  15. Worcester Polytechnic Institute
  16. Case Western Reserve University
  17. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
  18. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
  19. Colorado School of Mines
  20. Clarkson University
  21. Stevens Institute of Technology
  22. Stony Brook University
  23. Illinois Institute of Technology
  24. Missouri University of Science and Technology
  25. Michigan Technological University
Anybody care to guess what this list is all about and why it's relevant to our football success?

*how many P5 programs do you see?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
  3. Harvey Mudd College
  5. Rice University
  12. Lehigh University
  20. Clarkson University
Anybody care to guess what this list is all about and why it's relevant to our football success?

Excellence at what it is!

One idea
Lets drop football or let it die a natural death and compete for the top spot.

Better idea - get better at football!!!​

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If the offense has a weakness -- in my small opinion -- it is that it requires an particular kind of QB, and a very good one of that kind. And in 10 years Johnson has had one of that kind. That led to a glorious blowout of MSU in the Orange Bowl and an almost shot at the NC before FSU hung on in the ACC championship game. I have no clue what happened the next year. (Let's not forget in all the figuring that Johnson has been in that game three times in 10 years, and now very quickly, name the coaches who have matched that.) The right QB over 10 years and I doubt anybody would complain at all and the offense would be a no-brainer. But there's the rub, isn't it? One who can run the option, run the ball, and pass the ball, doesn't mind calculus and physics courses and there you have it. We tend to get one of the three and probably never the fourth.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
  3. Harvey Mudd College
  5. Rice University
  12. Lehigh University
  20. Clarkson University

Ouch. This isn't fair.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
  3. Harvey Mudd College
  5. Rice University
  12. Lehigh University
  20. Clarkson University

It's a list of the top 25 STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) schools.
Georgia Tech is the only power 5 conference team among them.
I believe only four of them compete in FBS football.
Most of them have no football team at all.

Last edited: