He Gets It

Animal02

Banned
Wait, so if I am following if CPJ doesn't have a five year contract then recruiting would suffer. Remind me again how our recruiting classes have been stack up nationally within the P5? The gap between GT and the Top 10 programs in the country may be as wide as it was in the late 80's.
The spending gap per player is just as wide,

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Wait, so if I am following if CPJ doesn't have a five year contract then recruiting would suffer. Remind me again how our recruiting classes have been stack up nationally within the P5? The gap between GT and the Top 10 programs in the country may be as wide as it was in the late 80's.
I don't understand your comment. Do you legitimately not see how having a head coach with 2-3 years left on their contract can hurt recruiting? Or are you trying to argue that Georgia Tech should ever recruit like a top 10 program?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Do this my friends. Take out take our recruiting rankings and those of all FBS schools, for say the past 10 years. Then look at end of year rankings. Outside of the top 10-15 recruiting teams, everyone else is up for grabs in the AP poll slots. Look at UCF last year. Where were they ranked in terms of recruiting? Is Boise State ranked in the top 20 in recruiting every year? Top 30? No. If we recruit at a #40 level but end up receiving votes in the AP poll, THAT'S A WIN. Especially when teams like an Auburn or uga ranked in top 10 recruiting and then fall out of the top 25. Which do you want? Over achieve or underachieve? Mic drop.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
As it relates to recruiting... a look at the depth chart released by the team for defense.

DE - Desmond Branch (2 star)
NT - Kyle Cerge-Henderson (3 star)
DE - Anree Saint Amour (3 star)
JACK - Victor Alexander (3 star)
ILB: Brant Mitchell (3 star)
ILB: Bruce Jordan-Swilling (4 star)
STINGER - Jalen Johnson (3 star)
SS: Tariq Carpenter (2 star)
FS: Christian Campbell (3 star)
CB: Lamont Simmons (3 star)
CB: Tre Swilling (4 star)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Do this my friends. Take out take our recruiting rankings and those of all FBS schools, for say the past 10 years. Then look at end of year rankings. Outside of the top 10-15 recruiting teams, everyone else is up for grabs in the AP poll slots. Look at UCF last year. Where were they ranked in terms of recruiting? Is Boise State ranked in the top 20 in recruiting every year? Top 30? No. If we recruit at a #40 level but end up receiving votes in the AP poll, THAT'S A WIN. Especially when teams like an Auburn or uga ranked in top 10 recruiting and then fall out of the top 25. Which do you want? Over achieve or underachieve? Mic drop.
That is a lot of questions so I guess I'll just agree with you

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As it relates to recruiting... a look at the depth chart released by the team for defense.

Nice post!
Names, numbers, facts.

T Carpenter - i thought he was a 3 star.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

And at least half of them will be given a chance to play at the next level if they so choose. Star ratings are a guess at how good they will become, not how good they are then.

(I'm not saying the recruiting services are totally BS, but we've all seen the reports where a certain UA assistant coach admitted that he could change a kid's star rating from a 2* to a 4* with a phone call.)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And at least half of them will be given a chance to play at the next level if they so choose. Star ratings are a guess at how good they will become, not how good they are then.

(I'm not saying the recruiting services are totally BS, but we've all seen the reports where a certain UA assistant coach admitted that he could change a kid's star rating from a 2* to a 4* with a phone call.)
2% of all D1 players make the league.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Couple "or"s in there

Would love to see that statistic for starters at Top 25 schools.

Reality is that, for example, Clemson has more 2x more 4-5 star recruits over the past 5 recruiting classes than 7 of their 8 ACC opponents combined. Dabo is the kind of coach players want to play for, the TO and GT is not
If Johnson has the best athletes who DO want to play in an option offense, and he certainly comes damn close to that, and Dabo and others have the best players who do not want to play in an option offense, then it seems to me to be a toss up, the determining factor being the defense. Teams with smart and disciplined defenses do well against us, while defensively speaking, we haven't done well against anybody. Hopefully that will change under Woody, but even if it doesn't, that says nothing about the quality of the players on offense, nor their attitude about Johnson, which appears to be as good as that of players on any other teams about their coaches.