He Gets It

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Very surprised a lot of the G5 teams building new stadiums haven't done the "soccer specific stadium" setup yet...super intimate and intimidating environments (McCamish is like the basketball version of an SSS).

While your idea may be spot on, I really can't think of any teams building new stadiums. Or who have recently. I doubt that many schools have the means or desire to do so. Iirc, the U switched stadiums but they didn't fund their new one, they just moved to a different pro venue.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That's... a really, really good idea. Who's got a few million to donate to make it happen?
Maybe the sponsor(Sweetwater I’m looking at you) will donate a portion of the construction costs.

The dead area between the west stands and the north stands would be a good spot to construct this new beer garden... Has the views of the downtown skyline but won’t remove any seats that already exist.

That area is already discombobulated so maybe we could make that connection between the stands go a little easier as well.

I think that is where large vehicles are brought into BDS so maybe that area can’t be blocked...

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
And you'd think 10 years and 3 DCs in it wouldn't be seen as just the DCs performance, but the HCs one as well.
I'm a PJ fan, and this is the case. Being a head coach is different than being an offensive coordinator. I think CPJ has proven himself to be a great offensive coordinator at this level, but only an above average head coach. We shall see if that changes with Woody.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the sponsor(Sweetwater I’m looking at you) will donate a portion of the construction costs.

The dead area between the west stands and the north stands would be a good spot to construct this new beer garden... Has the views of the downtown skyline but won’t remove any seats that already exist.

That area is already discombobulated so maybe we could make that connection between the stands go a little easier as well.

I think that is where large vehicles are brought into BDS so maybe that area can’t be blocked...
That how we got the goal post out of the stadium vt 09
They thought it was too narrow, but the gt engineers self organized. they rammed the top of one goal post into west stands and then split it like a chicken wing.

must leave a way to safely remove the goal posts under the new beer platform.

If we just started selling and drinking beer in that area, the Tech Beer Deck would be self funding!!.

After games like duke 15 it could stay open for hours! That's pure profit.

Animal02

Banned
That how we got the goal post out of the stadium vt 09
They thought it was too narrow, but the gt engineers self organized. they rammed the top of one goal post into west stands and then split it like a chicken wing.

must leave a way to safely remove the goal posts under the new beer platform.

If we just started selling and drinking beer in that area, the Tech Beer Deck would be self funding!!.

After games like duke 15 it could stay open for hours! That's pure profit.
Just make it a campus bar the rest of the time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm a PJ fan, and this is the case. Being a head coach is different than being an offensive coordinator. I think CPJ has proven himself to be a great offensive coordinator at this level, but only an above average head coach. We shall see if that changes with Woody.
Actually I think this is a pretty fair assessment. It avoids the polemics that always accompany this evergreen argument and at least to my mind assigns criticism and praise in thoughtful doses.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I would change great to above average and above average to average.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Whether the extension was correct or not, time will tell I suppose.

But many say it was needed for recruiting reasons. I understand the logic, but I have not seen any extraordinary results from it.

Are we suddenly, in year 11, doing better against ugag / cu / vt / um and others in recruiting?

Or did we need to extend so as to beat gsu/ coastal carolina / troy and other such schools for recruits? If so, not sure worth it.

Will say CPJ deserved a chance with better staff & facilities.

As to other job offers, have yet to see verifiable proof that he has been offered any other, better than GT, offer since coming here. Not rumors, but proof.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

But many say it was needed for recruiting reasons. I understand the logic, but I have not seen any extraordinary results from it.

Are we suddenly, in year 11, doing better against ugag / cu / vt / um and others in recruiting?

Or did we need to extend so as to beat gsu/ coastal carolina/ troy and other such schools for recruits. If so, not sure worth it.

As to other job offers, have yet to see verifiable proof that he has been offered any other, better than GT, offer since coming here. Not rumors, but proof.
It's not really to help us get better recruits, but the extension is used to show recruits that he will be there through their time in school. It's to show coach continuity basically.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I won't say you're wrong. I disagree, and I think my argument has merit, but I'd be willing to listen to yours, as well.
to wit, here are his offensive rankings the last decade:
2017 23
2016 21
2015 88
2014 3
2013 39
2012 11
2011 16
2010 64
2009 2
2008 24

Those are great numbers, IMO (especially when you throw out the single outlier in 2015. He consistently produces a top 25 offense (and sometimes a top 5 offense). That's elite. When you consider GT's recruiting limitations (which, if you want ot lay blame on a person, is more on CPJ the head coach than CPJ the OC), the performance looks even better.

There are precious few teams that wouldn't take that production, and many of those few are schools at which CPJ-OC would have far better athletes at his disposal than he does at GT, which makes you wonder what he'd do there.

65Jacket

GT Athlete

Or did we need to extend so as to beat gsu/ coastal carolina / troy and other such schools for recruits? If so, not sure worth it.

You can't expect the improvements to reel in more talent before they are in operation.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The term “excuses” was used earlier but aren’t there legitimate reasons? Regardless of whether you like CPJ or not it seems clear to me that there are numerous reasons, not excuses why it is tougher at Tech to recruit etc and history has borne that out. When those who don’t like CPJ quickly dismiss legitimate reasons and label them as excuses it makes me believe that they themselves aren’t objective assessors.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The term “excuses” was used earlier but aren’t there legitimate reasons? Regardless of whether you like CPJ or not it seems clear to me that there are numerous reasons, not excuses why it is tougher at Tech to recruit etc and history has borne that out. When those who don’t like CPJ quickly dismiss legitimate reasons and label them as excuses it makes me believe that they themselves aren’t objective assessors.

Because those valid reasons didn't save the last HC, and didn't save they the defensive coordinators. Those legitimate reasons become excuses when they are used to try and cover up valid criticisms. We're 10 years in and our passing game is horrid and our defense is terrible, and none of that gets put at the feat of the HC by too many of our fans. That's when valid reasons become excuses. Just like the valid reasons for recruiting being hard here don't make the argument that Johnson is a poor recruiter any less. Too many people refuse to accept that our struggles recruiting are a combination of those valid reasons and a poor recruiting coach. We can't do much about the former. We can do something about the latter. But not if our fanbase continue to act like it's the weather that is the reason we were bad last year.

In the last 6 years Johnson is 25-23 in conference and 42-35 overall.
In the 6 years his predecessor was here he was 28-20 in conference and 44-32 overall.

Johnson should have a bonfire under his seat right now. Instead he has an extension and fanbase that are already setting up excuses for 3 years down the road.