He Gets It

Solich had Nebraska in a death spiral and absolutely should have been fired. However, it is certainly possible to hire someone just as bad or even worse. It can work the other way. Richt, at UGA, was a decent coach, but by replacing him UGA has joined the elite.
One great season makes a team elite? Kirby sucked in 2016. Who's to say he won't suck again in 2018? Last year did not convince me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Um yes we actually have recruited top players before but you don't want to hear that. It would put CPJ in a negative light and that's all you guys care about
We've always recruited top players. [Let me correct my previous comment, because I know I said we never recruited top players. What I meant is that we never get the top players (5* players today and always get a sprinkle of 4* players) to commit and come to GT. We got Stephen Tuitt to commit, but his mom wouldn't sign the LOI and he was only 17. CPJ recruits top players. It's just that we rarely get them, then or now, but you don't want to hear that because it doesn't fit your narrative that CPJ is a bad recruiter. I'll ask once again, show me definitive proof he's a bad recruiter without using some recruiting service's numbers. I'll take any direct criticism of CPJ as a coach as proof positive.

Milwaukee

Banned
Show me how it was abysmal.

I can't tell if you're being serious at this point. Have you seen the classes we've hauled in the last 10 years?

The problem with this argument is that crusaders will say I'm not appreciating the players we've signed, but that's not the case. That's a simple stance to take. I love our guys, but Jesus Christ can you not see that we're being out recruited? The proof that you keep bitching to see is literally right in front of you. Not seeing something doesn't mean it's not there.

Where's the tylenol?

slugboy

Staff member
Tech has dropped to near the bottom in spending per football player in the ACC. We spend less than half what Alabama does, and 40% less than Georgia, Clemson and other top programs......yet you expect top 25 recruiting? Throw on top of that the limited degree offerings and they are all STEM......what reality are you living in?

I didn’t say I expect top 25, anywhere. Being closer to 15 than 70 just gets you into the 40s.
For comparison though, Kentucky has been around the top 25 for the past few years. Vandy rates better than we do. Pitt usually does.
Top 40 is reasonable, and we aren’t even consistently in the top 60. We’re usually in the back half of the ACC.
Most schools have recruiting advantages and disadvantages. We have both. We pull in more fans, have a better game day experience, get more players to the pros, and have had better records than a lot of the teams out recruiting us. There are plenty of reasons for our ratings to be better.
And all our degrees aren’t STEM, and haven’t been since the 70s.
From 2013 on (last 5 years), here’s our ACC recruiting ranking:
13/14, 11/14, 8/14, 13/14, 8/14, 9/14.
For 2019, we’re 12th out of 14 teams so far.
Not once were we in the top half. Duke, UVA, and Pitt have been. The years we were #8 (our peaks) we gave out 27 and 24 scholarships, which is a lot.
I would understand excusing us being in the middle of the pack, but we aren’t in the middle of the pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLKJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't tell if you're being serious at this point. Have you seen the classes we've hauled in the last 10 years?

The problem with this argument is that crusaders will say I'm not appreciating the players we've signed, but that's not the case. That's a simple stance to take. I love our guys, but Jesus Christ can you not see that we're being out recruited? The proof that you keep bitching to see is literally right in front of you. Not seeing something doesn't mean it's not there.

Where's the tylenol?
Abysmal is a strong word. I actually think our defensive recruiting has been decent the past few years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Milwaukee

Banned
Abysmal is a strong word. I actually think our defensive recruiting has been decent the past few years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes it is a strong word. See post above "From 2013 on (last 5 years), here’s our ACC recruiting ranking:
For 2019, we’re 12th out of 14 teams so far."

Abysmal is unfortunately accurate.

I completely agree I love the guys we've brought in defensively the last couple of years, we just need more of them.

Animal02

Banned
I didn’t say I expect top 25, anywhere. Being closer to 15 than 70 just gets you into the 40s.
For comparison though, Kentucky has been around the top 25 for the past few years. Vandy rates better than we do. Pitt usually does.
Top 40 is reasonable, and we aren’t even consistently in the top 60. We’re usually in the back half of the ACC.
Most schools have recruiting advantages and disadvantages. We have both. We pull in more fans, have a better game day experience, get more players to the pros, and have had better records than a lot of the teams out recruiting us. There are plenty of reasons for our ratings to be better.
Not once were we in the top half. Duke, UVA, and Pitt have been. The years we were #8 (our peaks) we gave out 27 and 24 scholarships, which is a lot.
I would understand excusing us being in the middle of the pack, but we aren’t in the middle of the pack.

And Tech is second to last in the ACC WRT per player football spending. You get what you pay for.
Players don't see the game day experience, they see the shiny baubles that spending gets you.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Yes it is a strong word. See post above "From 2013 on (last 5 years), here’s our ACC recruiting ranking:
For 2019, we’re 12th out of 14 teams so far."

Abysmal is unfortunately accurate.

I completely agree I love the guys we've brought in defensively the last couple of years, we just need more of them.

Well.....I have to agree our recruiting has not been so hot. I think we have a couple of coaches that do a good job and then I wonder about some of the others. I don't know the coaches recruiting areas, but I suspect McCollum is assigned to the Tennessee / Kentucky area. He has done well. Two of the new coaches appear to be making a good effort. I do wonder why one of our coaches goes to Hawaii to recruit. Since we've hire new additional football staff members, that should help improve our recruiting efforts. However, my view on the new hires, show me something. We've got to improve on being ranked 45 - 60 nationally in recruiting football players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Why do you think no other top STEM school plays P5 football and only 4 even play FBS? Why aren’t all the great players attracted to the elite academics?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Till we get grad rate well above 90% we will scare away recruits that are capable of getting a business administration degree. ND is close to 100%.

We aren't and never have been a stem football team.

Lets hope we get a better grad rate and lets hope are spreading a wider and more effective local recruiting net. A year ago a recruiting coach referred we are looking at private schools and academies .

This will have a big long term impact. Go tstan.

Animal02

Banned
Till we get grad rate well above 90% we will scare away recruits that are capable of getting a business administration degree. ND is close to 100%.

We aren't and never have been a stem football team.

Lets hope we get a better grad rate and lets hope are spreading a wider and more effective local recruiting net. A year ago a recruiting coach referred we are looking at private schools and academies .

This will have a big long term impact. Go tstan.

Every undergraduate degree offered by Tech is a Science Degree........