He Gets It

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We've never recruited top players at Tech. Is that on CPJ or is that Tech? Occasionally we would get a good crop of kids, and every once in a while we get a star, but we still do that.
Um yes we actually have recruited top players before but you don't want to hear that. It would put CPJ in a negative light and that's all you guys care about

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
And you make quite the stretch trying to connect dots that are not there. Nobody is saying give up. Most people accept the limitations and road blocks at Tech, prefer that they remain, and appreciate a football program and it's coach that can still be competitive.
And that's why im glad i don't think like you

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Um yes we actually have recruited top players before but you don't want to hear that. It would put CPJ in a negative light and that's all you guys care about
When? IIRC we've landed one 5 star recruit during/since O'Leary and he never really played. For comparison, the '07 class was ranked about as high as VT's class this year, which is to say good but not elite. Those classes would get someone at a factory fired.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
When? IIRC we've landed one 5 star recruit during/since O'Leary and he never really played. For comparison, the '07 class was ranked about as high as VT's class this year, which is to say good but not elite. Those classes would get someone at a factory fired.
Top players don't have to be 5 stars. But in case you forgot 2007 had plenty of top players in the class

Milwaukee

Banned

Re 07 class: Top 15 class was elite. We hauled studs that year that all the factories wanted.

Milwaukee

Banned
You make a decent point, Cheese. But the fact that it WAS accomplished means that "we just can't recruit like that at Tech" is an excuse we are making. Our recruiting has been abysmal for a decade, and that's just as much as an anomaly as the 07 class.

See how that works?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Top players don't have to be 5 stars. But in case you forgot 2007 had plenty of top players in the class

Some, but UGA preferred Caleb King over Dwyer, and Bebe was not that highly regarded. Burnett was a coup.

I agree that there is a significant effect of TO and CPJ on recruiting, but that doesnt change the baseline issues Tech has had for a long time. Recruiting service 5 stars are one proxy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You make a decent point, Cheese. But the fact that it WAS accomplished means that "we just can't recruit like that at Tech" is an excuse we are making. Our recruiting has been abysmal for a decade, and that's just as much as an anomaly as the 07 class.

See how that works?
Find the anomaly in the 8 recruiting classes prior to CPJ's arrival on the flats:

51, 53, 38, 48, 70, 62, 15, 51

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Re 07 class: Top 15 class was elite. We hauled studs that year that all the factories wanted.
I agree, just different definition of elite.

Looking back, I would only for sure take UF, USC, Tennessee, and UNC over our class. Seems like UT was the closest comp to ours but they had a little more depth and maybe Chiles would have been better in our system than theirs.

slugboy

Staff member
Find the anomaly in the 8 recruiting classes prior to CPJ's arrival on the flats:

51, 53, 38, 48, 70, 62, 15, 51

I’m not expecting a top 15 class every year, but I’d like to average closer to 15 than to 70. We seem to be averaging a rank around 50, which makes 15th look like much more of an outlier than 70.
To me, when you factor in all the excuses or recruiting limitations, they shouldn’t drop us to the 50s. We should still rank in recruiting in the top half of the ACC. And we don’t.
Lately, we’re usually ranked behind Pitt, UVA, NC State, Duke, and UNC.
Duke has been ranking in the 30s lately. Don’t they have a lot of football recruiting disadvantages? Why can’t we do at least as well as Duke and Pitt are doing right now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Was having a conversation with a friend of mine about Paul Johnson getting a vote of confidence from the AD... when you look at the talent on roster for this season and especially the next, you get the feeling ol' CPJ is gonna have some really nice seasons coming up. Not that it was at risk, but firing CPJ and changing systems now could be setting the program back 10 years like it did at Nebraska in 2003.

Solich was 55-19 at Nebraska, and was coming off a 10-3 season when he got fired. The AD said it was because recruiting was dropping off, but a look back at the 2004 roster and you know Solich had some more Big 12 and BCS runs in him. Instead, they hired Bill Callahan, then Pellini, then some guy from Oregon State, and now Scott Frost, and tanked the program for the next 15 years.

We did some digging.... They had several lineman who went on to get a shot in the NFL. None of them NFL stars but very few even get that chance. Two of their IB's played in the NFL. Several members of the defense were All-Americans and 1st and second round draft picks.

I'd wager that if they kept Solich another year they would have won 10+ games with that team and kept the program going.... instead they won 5. They lost to Southern Miss at home... They got beat 70-10 by Texas Tech...

QB: Joe Dailey --- Was set to take over for Jamaal Lord, and was going to be the best passer NU had in their system in awhile. Was a top 10 dual-threat QB out of high school.
IB: Cory Ross (All Big 12) - Brief stint in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens
IB: David Horne (Freshman All Big 12)
IB: Brandon Jackson (All Big 12) - Played for the Packers and Browns in the NFL
FB: Steve Kriewald - 5'10'' 250, traditional Nebraska fullback
OL: Brandon Koch - Starter for 3 straight seasons coming into 2004
OL: Brett Byford - Honorable Mention All Big 12
OL: Lydon Murtha - Honorable Mention All Big 12 - Drafted by the Detroit Lions
OL: Seppo Evwaraye - Honorable Mention All Big 12 - Signed by the Panthers practice squad

Defense:
Daniel Bullocks - 2nd round NFL draft pick (Lions) and All Big 12 player
Adam Carriker - All American, All Conference, drafted by the Rams
Josh Bullocks - 2nd round NFL draft pick (Saints) and All Big 12 player
Fabian Washington - All Big 12, All American, 23rd overall pick by the Raiders

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Was having a conversation with a friend of mine about Paul Johnson getting a vote of confidence from the AD... when you look at the talent on roster for this season and especially the next, you get the feeling ol' CPJ is gonna have some really nice seasons coming up. Not that it was at risk, but firing CPJ and changing systems now could be setting the program back 10 years like it did at Nebraska in 2003.

Solich was 55-19 at Nebraska, and was coming off a 10-3 season when he got fired. The AD said it was because recruiting was dropping off, but a look back at the 2004 roster and you know Solich had some more Big 12 and BCS runs in him. Instead, they hired Bill Callahan, then Pellini, then some guy from Oregon State, and now Scott Frost, and tanked the program for the next 15 years.

We did some digging.... They had several lineman who went on to get a shot in the NFL. None of them NFL stars but very few even get that chance. Two of their IB's played in the NFL. Several members of the defense were All-Americans and 1st and second round draft picks.

I'd wager that if they kept Solich another year they would have won 10+ games with that team and kept the program going.... instead they won 5. They lost to Southern Miss at home... They got beat 70-10 by Texas Tech...

QB: Joe Dailey --- Was set to take over for Jamaal Lord, and was going to be the best passer NU had in their system in awhile. Was a top 10 dual-threat QB out of high school.
IB: Cory Ross (All Big 12) - Brief stint in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens
IB: David Horne (Freshman All Big 12)
IB: Brandon Jackson (All Big 12) - Played for the Packers and Browns in the NFL
FB: Steve Kriewald - 5'10'' 250, traditional Nebraska fullback
OL: Brandon Koch - Starter for 3 straight seasons coming into 2004
OL: Brett Byford - Honorable Mention All Big 12
OL: Lydon Murtha - Honorable Mention All Big 12 - Drafted by the Detroit Lions
OL: Seppo Evwaraye - Honorable Mention All Big 12 - Signed by the Panthers practice squad

Defense:
Daniel Bullocks - 2nd round NFL draft pick (Lions) and All Big 12 player
Adam Carriker - All American, All Conference, drafted by the Rams
Josh Bullocks - 2nd round NFL draft pick (Saints) and All Big 12 player
Fabian Washington - All Big 12, All American, 23rd overall pick by the Raiders

Excellent points, imo.

Inconsequential aside: NU is Northwestern. Nebraska is UN.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Solich had Nebraska in a death spiral and absolutely should have been fired. However, it is certainly possible to hire someone just as bad or even worse. It can work the other way. Richt, at UGA, was a decent coach, but by replacing him UGA has joined the elite.

Animal02

Banned
I’m not expecting a top 15 class every year, but I’d like to average closer to 15 than to 70. We seem to be averaging a rank around 50, which makes 15th look like much more of an outlier than 70.
To me, when you factor in all the excuses or recruiting limitations, they shouldn’t drop us to the 50s. We should still rank in recruiting in the top half of the ACC. And we don’t.
Duke has been ranking in the 30s lately. Don’t they have a lot of football recruiting disadvantages? Why can’t we do at least as well as Duke and Pitt are doing right now?

Tech has dropped to near the bottom in spending per football player in the ACC. We spend less than half what Alabama does, and 40% less than Georgia, Clemson and other top programs......yet you expect top 25 recruiting? Throw on top of that the limited degree offerings and they are all STEM......what reality are you living in?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

Did you see our previous locker room?