#GTCamp2016

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our offense is built around the option and VL had a lot of issues running it. CPJ tried using him with an entirely new set of plays that sometimes worked, but we have to be able to run the option. In his HS highlights LJ is playing in the shotgun and creating a lot with his athleticism. It will be interesting to see if his trajectory is different than VL.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Our offense is built around the option and VL had a lot of issues running it. CPJ tried using him with an entirely new set of plays that sometimes worked, but we have to be able to run the option. In his HS highlights LJ is playing in the shotgun and creating a lot with his athleticism. It will be interesting to see if his trajectory is different than VL.
His first two years in HS his team ran our Spread Option. He said on his visit that they ran some of the same plays/was familiar with our O plays

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The two-a-days questions truly are perplexing....and good grief redundant. Listening comprehension lessons are needed by some *cough*Ken*cough*
"They tell us when we can start." "They tell us when we can start." "They tell us when we can start." After the third time I heard a weak, "Oh."

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Although it is a question for another year, I agree. It is interesting to see how the O will evolve if LJ does in fact take over. VL might have given a glimpse of this. When I think of his time here, I just wonder how crazy good our offense would have been had he embraced the option concepts and dedicated himself to learning them. With the rest of our personnel, it will be important to be a good option QB, but just think of the stuff you could add to it!

Johnson isn't going to change his offense in any significant manner. When he installed the diamond we had great success against Duke, but it wasn't how he wanted to win so we rarely used it after. And if you doubt me on that go back and watch the games and actually chart the plays from the diamond formation we ran after the Duke game. I did that a year or two ago when this was mentioned then. The only other game we ran it significantly was miami and it was to moderate success. Otherwise it was 3-4 plays a game.

Also, Lee's problem wasn't with embracing the option. It was playing behind an OL decimated by injuries that led him to take hit after hit from guys who should be getting blocked. Nobody is going to like any offense that leads to that outcome.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And if you doubt me on that go back and watch the games and actually chart the plays from the diamond formation we ran after the Duke game.
I did that a few years ago and this is what I saw. It was probably the worst execution of the diamond I have ever seen. Plays took forever to develop and lots of guys missed their assignments. What saved it was that Duke's defense played terribly. It looked for all the world like they had prepared for the "other" offense and kept expecting Tech to slip back into it on every play. After that game I said to myself that Tech was not going to get away with that again.

Of course, later Vad took a hard hit (was it UNC?) and essentially never wanted to run the option after that. So we were stuck with 2 offenses that weren't working well.

I did that a few years ago and this is what I saw. It was probably the worst execution of the diamond I have ever seen. Plays took forever to develop and lots of guys missed their assignments. What saved it was that Duke's defense played terribly. It looked for all the world like they had prepared for the "other" offense and kept expecting Tech to slip back into it on every play. After that game I said to myself that Tech was not going to get away with that again.

Of course, later Vad took a hard hit (was it UNC?) and essentially never wanted to run the option after that. So we were stuck with 2 offenses that weren't working well.
Yes, it was the UNC game, and Vad was never the same after that one hit.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Overall I am pretty upbeat about the coaches comments through camp. CPJ has not been this positive about our O since I can remember. In just under two weeks we will find out what we have. The biggest question mark on offense in my mind is still WR. I know our guys have been working hard, but I don't have a gut feeling on what we have there. Ricky and Brad need to bring that physical force and soft hands that we saw with Smelter. I can't wait to see what we got.
You and I are in agreement here. It remains my biggest concern. We may have some good stuff brewing that I don't know about. I just haven't seen enough from anybody to be comfortable. Smelter could not be covered alone. That was plain to see his last year. Waller gave the defense match up problems. I want to see somebody step forward and demonstrate that if you leave him in "one on one", your are going to get burned. Stewart and Jeune did some good things last year, but I don't think DCs had a ton of repsect for them. Routinely, defenders were left on an island against them and rarely paid the price. The LOS was flooded last year with defenders and will be again if we don't start burning people.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... Stewart and Jeune did some good things last year, but I don't think DCs had a ton of repsect for them. Routinely, defenders were left on an island against them and rarely paid the price. The LOS was flooded last year with defenders and will be again if we don't start burning people.

Problem IMHO last year wasn't the WRs but the lack of pass blocking. When there was time, JT had happy feet and wasn't as accurate as 2014. CJ would have had a bad year last year.

So I think there are three things we have to wait to see if they are better: OL pass blocking, then JT, then if the WRs catch what gets to them. The one I'm most concerned about is JT since he may have a memory.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Of course it wasn't the most flawlessly run diamond. It was our first game doing it. Hell go back and watch the first year under Johnson and see how "well" we ran our base offense. And that was practicing only that offense while the diamond was likely secondary to practicing our base stuff. Obviously any significant change we would likely see isn't going to be that smooth a transition.

Either way the point was that AFTER the duke game was rarely ran it. Had Johnson had any real desire to adapt his offense he wouldn't have effectively abandoned the formation after that game. Dropping it that hard after a win, and one where the diamond, ran well or not, was effective, tells the story there.

And yeah, UNC was a nasty hit against Lee. It was by no means the only one he took though. Lee got hit more often that year than any other QB I can remember.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Just my 2 cents here, and I am in no way hating on Lee.

I think going away from the gun formations was actually CPJ attempting to help Lee by going to something the remainder of the team could execute. We had experienced players that knew our base. I think CPJ attempted to let the other players carry the load on O. We gave up on running the 3O for the most part. We just ran a lot of plays that looked like 3O. Lee (not sure why) was indecisive running the 3O. He strung plays out for losses that should have been gains. He was a better passer than a runner, but IMO he was not as great at reading coverages as most people claim. A lot of hits he took were a product of poor decision making, and not a product of the offense.

CPJ would throw it on every play if that is what he thought would give him the best chance to win.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Problem IMHO last year wasn't the WRs but the lack of pass blocking. When there was time, JT had happy feet and wasn't as accurate as 2014. CJ would have had a bad year last year.

So I think there are three things we have to wait to see if they are better: OL pass blocking, then JT, then if the WRs catch what gets to them. The one I'm most concerned about is JT since he may have a memory.
Finally someone that sees what I see. We don't have a complex route tree for our WR's so if our running game isn't working then our passing game isn't going to work imo. JT didn't have much time to pass so at times routes couldn't even be ran all the way. Also not being able to run allowed the corners to play us different because they didn't have to worry about making a tackle on the outside. People keep blaming the WR's for bad play when a lot of it wasn't their fault, and they had no control over what was happening.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
"Your ego can't be so big that you're not going to borrow from other people," Johnson, the Navy coach, said. "The best coaches are a move or two ahead of the other guys. I think that's the kind of guy he is."
Interesting quote from a few years back talking about Bill Belicheck.......like to see us add a few wrinkles....be more proactive then reactive

In the spring game, we motioned an A-back to the top of the I-formation. I've never seen that before. Could be one of the wrinkles you are looking for.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The passing game was terrible last year for a multitude of reasons. Some of that was pass blocking, some of it was dropping passes, some of it was bad throws, some of it was QB and WR being on different pages as to the route being run. Lots of things led to the wheels coming off the cart in the pass game. But that is what led to teams flooding into the box and crashing the line to stuff out run game. We very rarely made them pay so they continued and we continued to struggle. Ds will play us the same this year till we make em pay. If we don't....last year will repeat even if we do execute run plays better this year.