#GTCamp2016

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Spotlight on Chase Alford w/ some quotes
The Good Word: Chasing the Dream
“A lot of people are better in shape. I’ve been moving a lot better from sideline to sideline,” he said. “I’ve always been good in between the tackles but this fall and summer we’ve been working a lot of speed work. I feel like I can get out there faster on the sweep when those A-backs are really getting out there fast."
“What we rank in kickoff return, kickoff - no team wants to be closer to the bottom,” he added. “I think this year we have a lot of older guys, especially on some special teams, which is good because some of the younger guys don’t realize how important it really is.”

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
A good passing game starts with having a receiver who can take the top off of man coverage. Every route works off of that concept. If the defense doesn't have to spend two players on a receive they can bring one more than we can block. If we don't have two that draw 2 defenders every protector has a one on one block. It's rough to block every rusher one on one especially when they can pin their ears back or run block every one with a hat on a hat. That's why it's so important we are better at the receiver position this year. I'm feeling good about it based on CPJ's camp comments.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
A good passing game starts with having a receiver who can take the top off of man coverage. Every route works off of that concept. If the defense doesn't have to spend two players on a receive they can bring one more than we can block. If we don't have two that draw 2 defenders every protector has a one on one block. It's rough to block every rusher one on one especially when they can pin their ears back or run block every one with a hat on a hat. That's why it's so important we are better at the receiver position this year. I'm feeling good about it based on CPJ's camp comments.

I haven't seen or heard all of CPJ's camp comments, but I don't remember WR being a position he singled out (other than Jalen Camp, who is stud). Has he mentioned Jeune or Stewart as having taken the next step this camp?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen or heard all of CPJ's camp comments, but I don't remember WR being a position he singled out (other than Jalen Camp, who is stud). Has he mentioned Jeune or Stewart as having taken the next step this camp?
He Said June made some big third and long catches in Saturday's scrimmage on a TD drive.

Last edited:

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just basing it on his general positive attitude (almost jovial for CPJ ).

ACC Bee

Banned
The passing game with this offense doesn't require a lot of reading from the QB. JT needs to hit his back foot and then cut the ball loose.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The passing game with this offense doesn't require a lot of reading from the QB. JT needs to hit his back foot and then cut the ball loose.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Our pass game is somewhat complimentary to our run game in that there are options in the routes. So, a WR can run a different route depending on how the DB is playing him, and the AB's can do something different depending on the coverage, etc. It's important that the QB and receivers see and read the same thing and that along with the timing can be a little complicated. It takes time and reps to get on the same page much like our running game. To my mind, it's also like our running game in that we don't have a book full of plays, but for the handful of plays we do have, there are different ways to run them to attack what the defense is doing at the snap. So, it may be 6 pass plays that each have 4 different permutations so that if you wanted to count each different option as a separate play, it would add up to 144 variations. I'm making those numbers up, but hopefully you get the point.

I've thought many, many times over the course of the last 8 seasons with CPJ that if our QB could just find the wide open man in our passing game, we would be steeply better on offense. So many times we'll have a guy running free, but fail to see him - whether due to a QB locking on to one guy, deciding too quickly, or not having the opportunity to see it because of pressure. These are huge plays, 50+ yd TD plays that we leave out there on the field.

Two examples I think most will easily remember are Bostic running free when we threw the TD to Waller in the OB. Bostic would've been a walk-in TD. Waller was a highly contested ball, though still a TD. And, another in '13 I believe, in the ACCCG against FSU, another highly contested one to Waller that he actually caught for about a 40 yard completion, but we had a wide open AB running free on the sideline for another walk-in TD. I don't remember if we scored a TD on that drive. I believe Vad was the QB at the time.

So, I wouldn't mind if the QB took an extra moment if it allows him to see someone go wide open ... IF we have the pass protection needed to afford him that extra moment.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure I agree with that. Our pass game is somewhat complimentary to our run game in that there are options in the routes.

Yeah, I have never looked at the tape or seen it taught, but it's based on a Glanville era run 'n shoot. Though tbh, those concepts are in a ton of pro-style offenses.

I feel the same pangs when I see a missed read in the TO, but it sure does look like a TD every time in the passing game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I've thought many, many times over the course of the last 8 seasons with CPJ that if our QB could just find the wide open man in our passing game, we would be steeply better on offense. So many times we'll have a guy running free, but fail to see him - whether due to a QB locking on to one guy, deciding too quickly, or not having the opportunity to see it because of pressure. These are huge plays, 50+ yd TD plays that we leave out there on the field.

Two examples I think most will easily remember are Bostic running free when we threw the TD to Waller in the OB. Bostic would've been a walk-in TD. Waller was a highly contested ball, though still a TD. And, another in '13 I believe, in the ACCCG against FSU, another highly contested one to Waller that he actually caught for about a 40 yard completion, but we had a wide open AB running free on the sideline for another walk-in TD. I don't remember if we scored a TD on that drive. I believe Vad was the QB at the time.

So, I wouldn't mind if the QB took an extra moment if it allows him to see someone go wide open ... IF we have the pass protection needed to afford him that extra moment.

Yeah, this one is a mystery to me. There are lots of times when our QB is under pressure because of shaky protection. There are lot's of times when our receivers don't get open. However, there seem to be way too many times (for as seldom as we throw it) that we have time and protection but just miss the wide-open throw. And it's not just with secondary receivers being more open than primary receivers. It happens with the primary receivers. Even some of our completions don't go for as many yards because the pass took the receiver out of stride.

That being said, it's happened with every QB. I wonder whether it's a by product of being a running QB that it's harder to get into a throwing rhythm or something.