#GTCamp2016

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We've run some rocket toss passes, and some option reverse passes. I remember Roddy trying one, but it wasn't open and he did VERY well to get back to the LOS. I remember a reverse pass from Bay Bay to Lucas Cox as the first play against Miami in '08 - wide open, big play. I remember a reverse pass against Ugag where Stephen Hill was wide open but we got a very poor throw from a highly pressured WR (can't remember who it was), and I want to say it was picked off.

But, I like plays like this, not as much because of the result of the play itself, but because it gets the defenders thinking more instead of having their one track minds on reading and reacting to their keys.

I also think the rocket toss pass could/should be deadly. Our OL would block it the same way regardless because they're not going down field but laterally down the LOS. If a team is firing up hard from the S and CB on those plays, it should be a wide open opportunity. It would totally require an AB who is a very capable thrower under pressure (and on the run), and it would help if that AB were also one of our best AB-run threats, so that the defenders' first thought when he gets the ball is "Oh crap, gotta go tackle that guy". We should have opportunities for this though with all of the converted QB's on our roster through the years.

I don't remember if Joe H ever passed out of the option, but Shawn Jones did at least a couple of times. But, of course, that's different from an A-back option pass. I think Friedgen could have designed one though.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Checking some stats. Last year Brad Stewart had a pass attempt. Bostic one in 2014. Smelter one and Days one in 2013. Corey Dennis also had a 15 yard loss that was supposed to be a WR pass in the bowl game. 2012 Bostic had two attempts, Days one. 2011 Melton one. So 5 A-back passes and 3 or 4 WR passes in 5 years.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't remember if Joe H ever passed out of the option, but Shawn Jones did at least a couple of times. But, of course, that's different from an A-back option pass. I think Friedgen could have designed one though.
Oh hell yes. It was our best play, we usually looked to go deep off the option fake. We certainly have basically the same play in our offense now, and it is devastating when we have decent talent on either side of the throw.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Checking some stats. Last year Brad Stewart had a pass attempt. Bostic one in 2014. Smelter one and Days one in 2013. Corey Dennis also had a 15 yard loss that was supposed to be a WR pass in the bowl game. 2012 Bostic had two attempts, Days one. 2011 Melton one. So 5 A-back passes and 3 or 4 WR passes in 5 years.

That play was worse than that - it was a fumble into the end zone that resulted in a safety - removing any chance at a comeback when GT was down 6 with <5 minutes to play. IIRC, CPJ said something like "if it works your a genius, if not your an ***"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That play was worse than that - it was a fumble into the end zone that resulted in a safety - removing any chance at a comeback when GT was down 6 with <5 minutes to play. IIRC, CPJ said something like "if it works your a genius, if not your an ***"
I like these plays in first half.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And hasn't rained the entire game......
if plays like this at end of game, the opponents coaches look like idiots.
I hope we get back to calling them on 4 th &2 @ 35.
Two quick scores in first half by our offense or defense is a nightmare for the opponents.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ tries one of those reverse non-QB attempts every year. I believe the BayBay attempt was the only one that ended with positive results.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

I suspect Days' pass attempts were when he was playing QB.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Did we have practice yesterday? haven't heard much this week about prep for BC, it's been crickets the last couple of days. Got a hankering for some updates

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I just keep hearing CPJ saying good things about this team and I remember last year how he was not happy before the season about the way the team practiced, I hope we stay healthy and it won't be long and on the evening 26 days (clempson) from now... we will know what we have..... I can't wait I think we are going to have total reverse and go 9-3 Go Jackets!!!
Give em Hell!!!!.....