#GTCamp2016

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Nah he went from 2* to 3*. There is some monkey business that goes on with a few players but to say all our 3's shoulda been 4's way overstates that.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This doesn't directly answer that, but IIRC didn't Brendan Douglas go from 3-star to 4-star when he flipped to Georgia?

This is the type of thing I'm looking for on a systemic basis. Even though it may have been a 2 to 3 star upgrade as @InsideLB said,
Scout and others do increase star ratings depending on the number and quality of offers a recruit has. Edit: I saw @InsideLB post on this and took some stuff out since he's raising the topic in the other post.

Don't get me wrong in this. I root for GT since we try and do it right. Our athletes are not as big, strong, fast and agile to start with in HS as the perennial top 20 teams. The wins are all the sweeter when they do happen. But we don't have the schematic advantage on D that we have with CPJ on O with the flexbone. So I expect the D to be lower in rankings.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that's the case. Just during Roof's 3 years, we've had 2 major NFL guys on the DL (Attaochu and Gotsis), meaning they're in the top 100 players in all of CFB. So, recruiting rankings pushed to irrelevancy due to those facts, we've had big time players on the DL. In Wommack's time we had D.Morg, M.Johnson, V.Walker, D.Richard. In Groh's time we had TJ Barnes (still an active NFL player with superb metrics), I. Cross and J.Peters (both were 4* guys and seemed like pretty darn good 3-4 DE's to me).

How are we supposed to be better on the DL this year while replacing Gotsis with Kallon (or Henderson)? We might be a little better at the other 3 positions with the same guys as last year but a year more mature. We may be better, but we also may be worse.
When I say what I said I mean a consistent group of guys and not just one every couple of years. Sure we have had good talent there but one guy can't do it all. Gotsis was a DE playing DT and he did it great, but imo he's more suited for DE, and he still wasn't a space eater like you would like to see somewhere on the line. My point is if you have more than one guy on the D line that can cause havoc it helps the rest of the team out, and I think it's hard to argue that we have had good D line play when we really haven't. You named some good players, but like I said they can't do it by their selves, imagine having 2 or 3 of those guys playing together in their prime and your going to tell me the line wouldn't be any better right now?

This is the type of thing I'm looking for on a systemic basis. Even though it may have been a 2 to 3 star upgrade as @InsideLB said,
Scout and others do increase star ratings depending on the number and quality of offers a recruit has. Edit: I saw @InsideLB post on this and took some stuff out since he's raising the topic in the other post.

Don't get me wrong in this. I root for GT since we try and do it right. Our athletes are not as big, strong, fast and agile to start with in HS as the perennial top 20 teams. The wins are all the sweeter when they do happen. But we don't have the schematic advantage on D that we have with CPJ on O with the flexbone. So I expect the D to be lower in rankings.
Didn't we get a commitment from a kid this past week who was touted as a 4-star, but all I could find when I looked was a 3-star rating? Gentry Bonds is his name.