#GTCamp2016

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Do our linemen get into a two point stance based on down and distance?
Not really. We get criticized for running our base package on "passing downs" but in fact when our offense is GOOD (think 2014) we actually run and convert a decent percentage of 3rd and long option plays. When our offense isn't good (i.e. 2015) we end up looking like fools for doing it as our conversion rate is much lower.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Our pass game is somewhat complimentary to our run game in that there are options in the routes. So, a WR can run a different route depending on how the DB is playing him, and the AB's can do something different depending on the coverage, etc. It's important that the QB and receivers see and read the same thing and that along with the timing can be a little complicated.
It always reminded me of the old "run and shoot" offense of bygone years in which every pass is passed off a read. CPJ always contended that his spread offense was just a variation of the run and shoot.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That being said, it's happened with every QB. I wonder whether it's a by product of being a running QB that it's harder to get into a throwing rhythm or something.
Has got to be hard to throw a 30 yard pass with essentially no warmup throws because you have been handing the ball off for the entire series prior to that.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If it is 3rd and 10, we are just about as likely to run as pass. That is why we don't usually go to a two point stance. Against us, you still have to respect the run. We are always selling the run.

Also, the receiver running free (without a pass to them) has been a consistent problem for us throughout CPJ's tenure. It has happened so many times it's crazy. The one thing this offense does is cut receivers loose. It happens a lot more frequently than most people realize. Our offensive numbers are really good as it stands now, but if we did that one thing better, the numbers would be staggering.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If it is 3rd and 10, we are just about as likely to run as pass. That is why we don't usually go to a two point stance. Against us, you still have to respect the run. We are always selling the run.

Also, the receiver running free (without a pass to them) has been a consistent problem for us throughout CPJ's tenure. It has happened so many times it's crazy. The one thing this offense does is cut receivers loose. It happens a lot more frequently than most people realize. Our offensive numbers are really good as it stands now, but if we did that one thing better, the numbers would be staggering.
Maybe this is why a guy like Lucas Johnson bought in.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The problem on this is pass pro. No doubt about it in my mind and was true in 14 also IMO. I rewatched some 14 film and was surprised at how bad our pass pro was even when we managed to make plays. JT nearly always had someone breathing down his neck. I challenge anyone to find 6 plays since 08 where our QB had 4+ seconds to throw it. If the QB doesn't find the open target quick, he doesn't find it. This is our primary, maybe singular, need for improvement on O IMO....scheme / practice / game prep wise.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, this one is a mystery to me. There are lots of times when our QB is under pressure because of shaky protection. There are lot's of times when our receivers don't get open. However, there seem to be way too many times (for as seldom as we throw it) that we have time and protection but just miss the wide-open throw. And it's not just with secondary receivers being more open than primary receivers. It happens with the primary receivers. Even some of our completions don't go for as many yards because the pass took the receiver out of stride.

That being said, it's happened with every QB. I wonder whether it's a by product of being a running QB that it's harder to get into a throwing rhythm or something.

I think it happens more with our QBs and QBs who run a lot and take more hits. Our QB does a lot of running into the line and just gets flat beat up. Any person that happens to will lose touch on his passes I would think. It was especially bad for TW IMHO and led to his late game lousy passes for ints.

JN on the other hand was consistently poor in his passing ..... early or late in the game it was always an adventure .... but we had Demaryius Thomas who made him look better.

Hopefully we go to two QBs a lot more this year and put the second QB in for the goal line and when everyone "knows" we are going to play smash mouth football. Keep the wear and tear off JT so he is sharper all season and not dragging around as much.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We won't be going to a 2 headed QB until we have 2 that are truly equally good. We will play our best one the majority of the time. Using MJ in short yardage may help keep JT from getting quite as banged up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We won't be going to a 2 headed QB until we have 2 that are truly equally good. We will play our best one the majority of the time. Using MJ in short yardage may help keep JT from getting quite as banged up.

Probably takes about 20 plays till the #1 is as good as the #2.......... unless the #1 is JN. JT and TW got gassed a lot to my view. No knock on them, 99% would. JN was just different. A warrior.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Have we ever run an A Back option pass? I can't remember it. That would seem like a tough play for the defense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think he means an an outside pitch to an Aback who has the option to run or throw? Couple problems there though as I see it. Proper blocking in the case of a run, and pressure coming if AB decides to throw...there will be too much pursuit coming IMO for the AB to attempt a pass.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think he means an an outside pitch to an Aback who has the option to run or throw? Couple problems there though as I see it. Proper blocking in the case of a run, and pressure coming if AB decides to throw...there will be too much pursuit coming IMO for the AB to attempt a pass.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I follow your point, but if you are saying that we betray a pass play when our linemen aren't charging to get to the next level, I agree with you.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would think that it would actually have to be a designed pass play that only looks like an option pass to the fans and hopefully to the opposing defense

Again, I don't know what an "option pass" is supposed to look like. If we have a designed pass play for the A-Back to throw, where the backfield motion looks like an option, than we're going to have unblocked LB's charging the A-Back, iiuc. Now, of course, there are a lot of plays that we could run where our A-Back has the option to throw, but I don't know if that's what was being asked.