GT vs Pitt Postgame

stech81

Helluva Engineer
There have finally been some rational posts on moving on. I appreciate his tenure, but he seems to have lost something.

But look, we ain’t gonna fire him guys. We can’t afford to unless someone comes in an privately pays the buyout. I want to say it’s something like 1 Million per year, so 4 Million...that’d leave us in great shape to pay a new coach and accomplish this AA2020 stuff...Only hope is that he decides he’s done and retires...which ain’t gonna happen.
Everyone can say what they want about CPJ, recruiting, uniforms, defense, blah blah blah...

The fact is that we have some talented players. What separates this team from maybe the 2016 team is belief. Both the 17 and 18 teams had belief until they got put behind the 8 ball. It seems like once we are behind, we just lose hope and don't show any sign of urgency. The last drive of the game, we were walking up to the line and taking our sweet time. Why? Lack of belief. Confidence, especially in football, goes a LONG way.
If we do then they are not buying into what the coaches are teaching

slugboy

Staff member
Couple of thoughts
1. For the players, this is one of those low points where you either forge the strong core of a great team going forward or things get really bad. Sometimes, even on a team that’s coming together, there’s still a lot of stress
2. I’m not sure if we get injured more than other teams. There are a few teams like Stanford where S&C separates them from other teams and they have a lot of mobility. I think we’re just OK
3. We’ve had one OL coach for the entire 10 years, and we have two OL coaches. That unit should be one of the best and most disciplined in the country with the amount of coaching we put there
4. I think TStan will try to give CPJ everything he needs to succeed. I don’t think CPJ will be fired this season, but if he doesn’t turn the season around, I could see him retire
5. Man, Butker concealed a lot of problems with special teams. Otherwise, I think they’ve been trending down for years
6. There are a lot of hot seats this year. Frost is having a cold start in Nebraska. I used to be able to rely on CPJ to make the other coach’s seat hotter, but now he’s the coach that you save your job against

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
With the way the offense is playing we are looking at a 2-10 season as we sit. That would be 3 of the last 4 seasons with a horrid record.

Honestly does anyone enjoy watching our offense anymore? This program is desperate for a change in coaching. Go see if we can get Satterfield and keep some consistency with the defense. Offense would be much more fun to watch. Would be have some growing pains? Possibly but this fear that we have to keep CPJ or be doomed is nonsensical.

My only question is what would the financial impact be if he’s canned end of season? We know what firing Hewitt and Gregory did.

I hear you, but my biggest question is will TQM be able to physically survive the beatings he will take as CPJ sacrifices everyone for his system?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this pretty much sums up the problem. Pitt is not a good team. Given all the breaks they had, they damn near let us get back in the game by fooling around in the second half. Where does that leave us? We look like a poorly coached, undisciplined, out of shape team that needs to be playing Tulane, Navy, Memphis State, Georgia State and not Virginia Tech, UGA, Miami, and Clemson. Our special teams is about as bad as I have seen since the 1970s. Defense cannot tackle, pressure the passer or defend passes. Our receivers are...pretty bad. They either cannot get open or when they get open they drop passes.

This is potentially the worst team in the Johnson era and highlights the need for a complete overhaul of recruiting. The coaching is bad enough but we have little talent. There is no one, I mean no one on offense that the other team should fear. There is no one that has defensive backs pointing to in pre game drills and saying to one another see that dude? He is the one we got to stop. When D. Thomas, Smelter, Waller, were playing you can bet they were being pointed out. Recruiting is extremely poor but for the love of God please recruit linemen on both offense and defense. The only positive that I can see is the hard running of Jerry and Jordan and the effort given in the second half to prevent this from being an even bigger debacle than it was looking to be at the half.

I don’t see recruiting improving under Johnson- or a passing game. Every team makes mistakes/missed assignments, etc but you need great players making clutch plays to overcome the mistakes.

D Thomas would not have came to Tech with this offense-Smelter was a lucky catch as he was there for baseball. CPJ too stubborn to go to shotgun and throw it (like Auburn runs it) to put an end to the negative recruiting that hurts offense and defense. He thinks he can win with non- NFL players and does not want to kiss recruits butts ( which is what everyone else is doing). I would hire someone as a face of the program who likes to recruit and is good at managing game- hire 2 coordinators that will let the recruits know “ if you are good enough we will get you to the league”.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
That drop by Camp was awful, but so was the throw, to be honest. He probably fell asleep waiting for it. I believe a dual threat QB, a real one, would make a huge difference. TM is not a good passer, bottomline.

To me this is the biggest issue. To run the option you have to have a QB, I mean a real one. TM is very talented no question but he isn’t in his natural place. I honestly do t think he has had the correct throwing form since he’s been in the position. Not his fault though. We may indeed be limited in our recruiting for many reasons, a lot of them non football but a QB runs the team. I hate to say this but TM isn’t confident in this position and you can tell that because if there ever was a game where he would blow his stack at the O line this would have been it.

Sometimes leaders have to go crazy as hell on their own folks, when they don’t then I think it signals that they aren’t football comfortable. We should give whoever can throw the ball with proper form ( setting his feet, follow through) and call a cadence correctly the ball and put TM back at WR. God bless him, on some of those plays he was being thrown around like a paper doll - physically manhandled

Last edited:

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
With the way the offense is playing we are looking at a 2-10 season as we sit. That would be 3 of the last 4 seasons with a horrid record.

Honestly does anyone enjoy watching our offense anymore? This program is desperate for a change in coaching. Go see if we can get Satterfield and keep some consistency with the defense. Offense would be much more fun to watch. Would be have some growing pains? Possibly but this fear that we have to keep CPJ or be doomed is nonsensical

I don’t enjoy it- I liked it when they have NFL caliber players like Dwyer and D Thomas.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
To me this is the biggest issue. To run the option you have to have a QB, I mean a real one. TM is very talented no question but he isn’t in his natural place. I honestly do t think he has had the correct throwing form since he’s been in the position. Not his fault though. We may indeed be limited in our recruiting for many reasons, a lot of them non football but a QB runs the team. I hate to say this but TM isn’t confident in this position and you can tell that because if there ever was a game where he would blow his stack at the O line this would have been it.

Sometimes leaders have to go crazy as hell on their own folks, when they don’t then I think it signals that they aren’t football comfortable. We should give whoever can throw the ball with proper form ( setting his feet, follow through) and call a cadence correctly the ball and put TM back at QB.God bless him, on some of those plays he was being thrown around like a paper doll - physically manhandled

Pass protection stinks and Tech never surprises anyone by throwing 1st or 2nd down- Defenses are not even concerned about GT’s passing game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The offense is still fun to watch when they know how to run it but we haven't been very good in a long time. Seems like we used to get 7-10 yards per carry. Now it's 1-2 with a possible 20-30 yarder in there. 3rd and under 5 was almost a given first down run. Now we have to pass because we can't run. Our O-Line shouldn't be as bad as it is.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So this loss hurt. Like really hurt. I had planned on this game being a turning point after last week. Truly believed it would be the game where the light goes on and the boys of Ga Tech woke up from the road nightmare we have been on.

We missed that chance. I poured a bourbon, watched the post game interviews, took a walk with my dog through the woods behind my house and have come back to post a simple message of hope.

We had shots to win. We went down 21-0 in the first half and had a chance to win the game, on the road. That’s crazy.

After watching the pup run through the woods I remembered that this is just a game. 3.5 hours of action from 30 something, 18 something year olds representing Georgia Tech. The school that introduced me to my wife, that gave me a degree which has provided remarkable job opportunities but also taught me about myself, my limits and growth. This team still has the chance to be good. I still think we can beat anyone left on our schedule (no doubt both Clemson and “u”GA will be tough but it’s possible).

As to the talk of quitting on this team, I’ll say this:
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

As to the talk of CPJ getting fired, I’ll say this:
He owned his mistakes, and I actually think we will be better going forward. I don’t understand our kicking game woes, like actually can’t fathom how this has happened, but hey it is what it is and we are where we’re at.

I will continue to support the program and the athletes and the staff, because they’re part of the tradition and family that is the Institute. CPJ didn’t all of a sudden forget how to call a game or coach a team. We will right this ship. I personally am cutting a check to GTAA today as an investment in improvement. For those of us fans not happy with the product we see on the field there is a clear path forward. Send in a flood of money. Donate as much as you can plus 10%. Let’s give TStan and CPJ all the resources our alumni base can muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I personally am cutting a check to GTAA today as an investment in improvement. For those of us fans not happy with the product we see on the field there is a clear path forward. Send in a flood of money. Donate as much as you can plus 10%. Let’s give TStan and CPJ all the resources our alumni base can muster.

Please tell me how money will fix our current problems. We have data that shows all trends down with the exception of money.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
So this loss hurt. Like really hurt. I had planned on this game being a turning point after last week. Truly believed it would be the game where the light goes on and the boys of Ga Tech woke up from the road nightmare we have been on.

We missed that chance. I poured a bourbon, watched the post game interviews, took a walk with my dog through the woods behind my house and have come back to post a simple message of hope.

We had shots to win. We went down 21-0 in the first half and had a chance to win the game, on the road. That’s crazy.

After watching the pup run through the woods I remembered that this is just a game. 3.5 hours of action from 30 something, 18 something year olds representing Georgia Tech. The school that introduced me to my wife, that gave me a degree which has provided remarkable job opportunities but also taught me about myself, my limits and growth. This team still has the chance to be good. I still think we can beat anyone left on our schedule (no doubt both Clemson and “u”GA will be tough but it’s possible).

As to the talk of quitting on this team, I’ll say this:
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

As to the talk of CPJ getting fired, I’ll say this:
He owned his mistakes, and I actually think we will be better going forward. I don’t understand our kicking game woes, like actually can’t fathom how this has happened, but hey it is what it is and we are where we’re at.

I will continue to support the program and the athletes and the staff, because they’re part of the tradition and family that is the Institute. CPJ didn’t all of a sudden forget how to call a game or coach a team. We will right this ship. I personally am cutting a check to GTAA today as an investment in improvement. For those of us fans not happy with the product we see on the field there is a clear path forward. Send in a flood of money. Donate as much as you can plus 10%. Let’s give TStan and CPJ all the resources our alumni base can muster.

CPJ was supposed to right the ship in the off-season. I hope your right, but we have a very tough opponent next week. , Some of the fixes are more than mid season fixes at this point

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest criticism I can give the team right now is that USF has scored 7 points against figgin’ Illinois through almost three quarters.