GT vs Pitt Postgame

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I still like CPJ as our head coach. I admit the fake punt seemed poorly timed given our recent struggles on defense. The fake punt didn’t work, so it was a bad call. If it had worked, who knows how the game might have gone from there.

As for all of the other “bad coaching”... we have our most clutch players fumbling the past 2 weeks, and TQM clearly has issues passing consistently. The WRs could have helped him out, but neither of the drops were great passes. And he had some other throws that were just bad. If Lucas Johnson were available, I think he would have gone in today. I guess his injury was poor coaching. The guy who should be the 3rd QB went in last week, and lead 3 consecutive TD drives. I wonder who’s been coaching him? I like TQM. He’s tough,plays hard, and is an illusive runner. However, we clearly have issues at QB.

Ditto these thoughts and comments.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
"the legacy left by sideways the dog..." Many a time my father came out of the old textile engineering building on the Hill and saw Sideways greeting students. His grave was a place to pitch a dime or quarter for good luck on a test. Truly a testament to the many traditions of the Institute. I am glad you benefited in so many ways from the rigors of completing an education at the foot of "Ma Tech"

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Im talking about the FOOTBALL PROGRAM. We've got got to relax the rules for football players. Its the God's honest truth. Do you really disagree?

Yes. Why should they hang the same degree I have on their wall and not have to do the same work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We have been down this road before. I truly am asking this as a person who just doesn’t understand. Why, after you understand the priorities of our program, do you continue to be upset and shocked by this situation?

As an aside, I am a life long Cubs fan, as in since 1985 I have pulled for the Cubs. We finally won one. It felt great because we all, as fans, knew how hard it was to do what the team did. It isn’t the same but feels similar to me with GT. We aren’t world beaters, by definition of the roster.

If you have no attachment to the larger purpose of the Institute and just want wins, irrespective of the effect on the school, why don’t you just move along?

Why don't i just move along? You seriosuly just asked that? GT is me wether i want it to or not. I have no choice.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I love when people post about how “we should be 3-0”

Is that how you play golf too? “Well if I hadn’t hooked my drive, it would have gone about 250 yards and then I would have had an easy 8 iron onto the green and 2 putt for par, so I’m going to mark down 4”

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
True, and the source of those years of frustration for Coach Dodd as chronicled in his autobiography were recruiting restrictions imposed by the Hill specifically the requirement of calculus. His recruiting classes of the late 19500s were generally sub par by his standards and he went through something of a mid life crisis. He seriously contemplated accepting an offer to coach at Texas. Fortunately, he was able to recruit some very good players in the early 1960s including Billy Lothridge, Billy Martin, Ted Davis, Rufus Guthrie, Lenny Snow, Larry Good, Billy Schroer, and of course, the "young lefthander" Kim King as well as many others to finish his career in style. Another problem that arose during those years was the arrival of Bear Bryant at Alabama and Ray Graves at Florida. Alabama, Florida, LSU, and UGA gradually got better through the years until Tech left the SEC in 1964. Dodd was also flexible enough to ditch the split T and go to a more pro style offense during that time.

Correction, I think Tech went more to an I formation offense rather than the split T that was popular in the 1950s. They still ran more than passed because Dodd believed in defense, kicking, and mistake free football. Very similar to what was employed by Vince Dooly at UGA later on.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We have been down this road before. I truly amhas to do what they do. asking this as a person who just doesn’t understand. Why, after you understand the priorities of our program, do you continue to be upset and shocked by this situation?

As an aside, I am a life long Cubs fan, as in since 1985 I have pulled for the Cubs. We finally won one. It felt great because we all, as fans, knew how hard it was to do what the team did. It isn’t the same but feels similar to me with GT. We aren’t world beaters, by definition of the roster.

If you have no attachment to the larger purpose of the Institute and just want wins, irrespective of the effect on the school, why don’t you just move along?

Oh come on we have a sidewalk fan you tell him to move on ? You do understand how many sidewalk fan buy season tickets . I graduated from Southern Tech so I guess I'm a sidewalk fan and have had season tickets for the last 37 years and I'm not happy right now , I guess you want me to move on. I do believe Gold 1 is young and he may have a hard time understanding why Tech does not change things. But I would never tell any fan to move on it's not like we have so many hell we can't fill our stadium if the visiting doesn't bring 15,000 fans.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just get ready for the thread im going to start tommorow. Time for us to demand change from the elitists

Make sure to write up the mathematical equation that supports what you want and that actually "proves out".

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
"the legacy left by sideways the dog..." Many a time my father came out of the old textile engineering building on the Hill and saw Sideways greeting students. His grave was a place to pitch a dime or quarter for good luck on a test. Truly a testament to the many traditions of the Institute. I am glad you benefited in so many ways from the rigors of completing an education at the foot of "Ma Tech"

Thank you for the post. I’m grateful as well. My wife and I (both class of 2007, met day 1 at Tech) are looking forward to welcoming our first child into this world. My wife is a MechE and has told both sides of the family we are hoping to have more, so please all gender neutral on baby clothes, then she went out and bought white and gold girl baby stuff.

I secretly did the same, but her stuff came first and she just said - sing the fight song.. I told her I agreed and we had quite the laugh when my orders came in.

Our fandom, and I mean the family of Ma Tech not just my small - but growing - nuclear family I’m so proud that of, is based on this shared connection to the larger mission, vision and goals of GT.

THANK YOU, to everyone who is involved.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Right? Part of the question here is, what is success?

Graduation rates?
Placement in NFL?
Lifetime earning potential?
Student Athletes leaving with a job?

You need to stop writing so much good stuff. My “like” button is worn out. [emoji3]

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m still going to sport my GT gear around my neighborhood and town with pride as I know it stands for a whole lot more than just football. Also, I won’t be floored if we hang with Clemson.

Oh HELL YES!!!!

Sport the GT gear at least once a week at the office, any time I travel, and on the weekends. Of course it's on the car and at the front door of the house all the time!

Last edited:

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
We need a head coach that can sell a real education and career opportunities to recruits. If the proper message gets out, kids will want to come. Grouchy and confrontational to media is not working as a selling point.
I know CPj cares about the players and they seem to like him, but he isn’t selling the program well enough to get more talent. Love the guys we have, but recruiting needs to improve. We all have bad days at work and maybe cpj has just had a off day at his job, but we have to improve recruiting to be competitive.

I am not giving up on kids or coaching staff, as we are 3 games in and I love Tech football, but I want to see improvement in recruiting or see changes.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I’ve wiped the bad stuff in 2014 from memory but I don’t remember seeing a problem with player fundamentals and coaching decisions like I’m seeing now.

Probably because we started the season 5-0 with wins over Miami and VT. The win over VT was an epic come from behind victory. The win over Miami was a work of art by JT with little statistics to show for it. Comparing that season to this season is way off. Im not going to bother looking at old posts but I have to believe the temperature of the fan base was a great deal better than it is now.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Oh come on we have a sidewalk fan you tell him to move on ? You do understand how many sidewalk fan buy season tickets . I graduated from Southern Tech so I guess I'm a sidewalk fan and have had season tickets for the last 37 years and I'm not happy right now , I guess you want me to move on. I do believe Gold 1 is young and he may have a hard time understanding why Tech does not change things. But I would never tell any fan to move on it's not like we have so many hell we can't fill our stadium if the visiting doesn't bring 15,000 fans.

To be clear — I haven’t done a good job communicating my perspective because a number of our board’s posters have asked similar questions to this.

Let me be clear, I wanna ant everyone who values what we do here to be a part of the party, regardless of if we win or get beat.

My point is, that at the end of the day we are focused on something larger than athletic achievement. When we come up short, it sucks, and frankly my wife would say it guts me more than it should for a guy thousands of miles from BDS@HGF. But I still enjoy following GT sports. All the people keep posting about the woes they have and so my question remains: either donate money to fix the problems you see, pay your money to come to games because you enjoy the sport and accept where we are at, or just stop watching.
— not directed specifically to anyone despite the original quote I addressed earlier in this post —

If it makes you sick to your stomach, and you’re unwilling or unable to help, them stop watching. You don’t make it more enjoyable for the fans who frequent this site to cry and complain without a plan or commitment to fix issues you identify so just stop.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t attend Tech. My brother did, so that’s how I became I fan. Hell, I never went to college. I don’t know the sense of pride some have by earning a degree from Tech. Sounds miserable lol. So I’m sure it’s even tougher for athletes.

So what do we want? To keep up intense academic requirements for a sense of pride? Or win at football? I know some would say academics. I know some would say both. It’s gotta be one or the other, imo.

Personally, I wanna win. I’m not saying use bagmen at will and lower academic standards and do sketchy sh** like other programs. But try to level the playing field somewhat. I feel lowering academic standards doesn’t make anyone’s diploma any less valuable. Chill lol the name Georgia Tech on that bad boy should say enough in itself.

I’m tired of seeing this argument. I just wanna win. But what do I know?

Being a Tech fan is exhausting.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
No. Not willing to devalue my diploma for athletics.

No. Not willing to devalue my diploma for athletics.

Don’t blame you at all. I don’t see why Tech could not design/execute a n elite Sports Science/Nutrition degree option. I would like to see them more innovative and forward thinking instead of being left behind. The offense is dated-Paul Johnson does not create excitement and Tech is not attracting young fans to the program.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The worst feeling I had today was watching us lose, somewhat expecting it, and not getting all that upset about it. Apathy has set in for me. Im not going to quit watching or supporting the team, but until there is a change, im not going to be as emotionally invested anymore. It feels a lot like the last couple of Brian Gregory years. No momentum in the program at all, and we all knew what was inevitably going to happen.
Same. And even if we got that onside kick and managed to score another TD to win, I think my only emotion would be "eh, that was neat". I just don't see what I need to see out there.

Couple players here and there are playing ok but both lines are terrible, the BB position is a huge liability (lack of talent enthusiasts, I can agree here), kicking game sucks, QB play on a good day is mediocre, WR's can't catch, AB's can't hold onto the ball, Linebackers have no awareness, outside of 1 guy I'll give Joe Speed credit for probably having the best group on the team. We can't execute in any phase of the game. Our offense is supposed to scare teams who have to play us but they just whip our asses now and accept the fact they may get burned a handful of times a game. I just don't see a single aspect of our team to get excited about anymore.

I'll still support our team, wear my GT gear, and watch us every week but the apathy has fully set in.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t attend Tech. My brother did, so that’s how I became I fan. Hell, I never went to college. I don’t know the sense of pride some have by earning a degree from Tech. Sounds miserable lol. So I’m sure it’s even tougher for athletes.

So what do we want? To keep up intense academic requirements for a sense of pride? Or win at football? I know some would say academics. I know some would say both. It’s gotta be one or the other, imo.

Personally, I wanna win. I’m not saying use bagmen at will and lower academic standards and do sketchy sh** like other programs. But try to level the playing field somewhat. I feel lowering academic standards doesn’t make anyone’s diploma any less valuable. Chill lol the name Georgia Tech on that bad boy should say enough in itself.

I’m tired of seeing this argument. I just wanna win. But what do I know?

Being a Tech fan is exhausting.
Boom. Bingo. Mr. TODD STANSBURY, where are you?