GT vs Pitt Postgame

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
There is an intense pride and profound sense of satisfaction from accomplishing something extremely difficult and that few people in the world can achieve. I'm talking about getting a degree from Georgia Tech.

Before I was 5 years old, I knew how extremely difficult it was to get into Tech. I knew you had to be very intelligent to even get in. I set my sights on Tech and I eaneed my chemical engineering degree.

I don't want to be a school like UGA that produces mediocre minds. Georgia Tech can produce a football team of highest excellence without becoming UGA. What it takes is the iron-clad will to do so.

I get that. But students can still take ridiculous classes. That won’t change. You can just add in the option of taking less difficult classes lol.

Like I said, I didn’t go there. What do I know? I’m just stating an outside perspective. I can get where you’re coming from, but you’d be lying if you said the difficult class requirements doesn’t put us in a pickle when it comes to recruits. If we want to keep the academics where they are, then we need to drop to Division 2 or just stop playing football altogether.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
No...there isn't. There really isn't. I cited UNC as a prime real-world data point that having degrees that athletes use has nothing to do with their other degree programs and has not ruined any reputations and not hurt any UNC grads in any tangible way (based on measurable data like salaries coming out of college, rakings amongst top US universities, etc).

Try giving me a data point of a university that has been ruined by taking that approach......

Did I say anything about a university being ruined? No, I didn’t. I have an engineering degree. If someone wants an engineering degree, they need to do the same work. What is hard to understand about that? If they get out and can’t do the work, don’t you think that devalues the degree? If you don’t, you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Responses from the likes of GT05 are certainly signs of a major problem at GT. The fact that smart people can be so dumb to think their degree will be devalued in any way by doing things to enhance athletics when in reality it would bring more notoriety and money to the institution continues to shock me.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Did I say anything about a university being ruined? No, I didn’t. I have an engineering degree. If someone wants an engineering degree, they need to do the same work. What is hard to understand about that? If they get out and can’t do the work, don’t you think that devalues the degree? If you don’t, you should.

Because they're going to be playing football at THE SAME TIME!!! Which is more than a full time job!!!! How do you not understand this?!!!!!!!!!!

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Responses from the likes of GT05 are certainly signs of a major problem at GT. The fact that smart people can be so dumb to think their degree will be devalued in any way by doing things to enhance athletics when in reality it would bring more notoriety and money to the institution continues to shock me.
Exactly my man. You and me both know we are fighting a losing battle

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I get that. But students can still take ridiculous classes. That won’t change. You can just add in the option of taking less difficult classes lol.

Like I said, I didn’t go there. What do I know? I’m just stating an outside perspective. I can get where you’re coming from, but you’d be lying if you said the difficult class requirements doesn’t put us in a pickle when it comes to recruits. If we want to keep the academics where they are, then we need to drop to Division 2 or just stop playing football altogether.

Uga produces mediocre minds? My God what am I doing pulling for GT? I graduated from GCSU!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Because they're going to be playing football at THE SAME TIME!!! Which is more than a full time job!!!! How do you not understand this?!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, maybe they can get an engineering (but not really) degree. You don’t want engineers designing stuff that you ride in, ride on, fly on, etc. if they can’t do ALL of the work required to earn that degree.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

No one is talking about engineering degrees. Hardly any players major in engineering anyway.

The fact of the matter is Tech (like every school) is already making concessions for athletes. They (like every school) have set up a system that makes graduation easier for athletes.

Somehow a football team full of guys who would never get admitted as regular students graduate at a greater clip than regular students. I wonder how that happens?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I pray to god you aren't in any conversations regarding the GTAA. Seriosuly STOP!!! You are part of the problem

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Problems I see at GT right now:
  1. talent on the field is decent but average. I do not see any playmakers, no difference makers, on either side of the ball. In fact, I wonder if we have any all-conference players, not to mention all-American players. This is largely a function of years of mediocre recruiting;
  2. execution is really poor....we all too often make mistakes like dropping passes, missing blocks, and have 8 turnovers in 3 games. So, what talent we do have is not performing even at the level they should be because of the execution issues;
  3. game strategies are horrible. when time is a factor, we simply do not know how to run a hurry-up offense. The fake punt was a joke. Some of the play-calling lacked imagination (to say the least);
  4. we are not innovative on offense. This one should be pretty obvious;
  5. Our passing attack is VERY poorly designed as well as poorly executed. Most other teams run quick passes, with 3 step drops. Pass protection is not as critical when the QB is throwing in rhytym on short counts.
  6. we have a stubborn refusal to do anything outside the box, even when everything else is not working. Try a different QB? Not in a million years. Try a different offensive scheme or rhythm (like a hurry-up short passing attack?).....we're GT, we can't do that. The stubborn inflexibility to be able to do more than one thing is maddening;
  7. ACC defenses are simply MUCH more used to seeing our offense and the schematic advantage we once held is, by and large, over now.
While some of these issues require the Institute to make some changes to help out the program, some require coaching changes to help out the program. After many years of being a solid CPJ supporter, I have now moved into the camp that says that a change is necessary....whether he has simply worn out his stay at GT or lost his personal fire and effectiveness or whether he is too stubborn to make changes or whether ......well, who cares why? It isn't working. Period. Our program has deteriorated to where it is somewhere around 12th-14ht in the ACC right now. That is not acceptable to me.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Hey, maybe they can get an engineering (but not really) degree. You don’t want engineers designing stuff that you ride in, ride on, fly on, etc. if they can’t do ALL of the work required to earn that degree.

I pray to god you aren't in any conversations regarding the GTAA. Seriosuly STOP!!! You are part of the problem

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you for the post. I’m grateful as well. My wife and I (both class of 2007, met day 1 at Tech) are looking forward to welcoming our first child into this world. My wife is a MechE and has told both sides of the family we are hoping to have more, so please all gender neutral on baby clothes, then she went out and bought white and gold girl baby stuff.

I secretly did the same, but her stuff came first and she just said - sing the fight song.. I told her I agreed and we had quite the laugh when my orders came in.

Our fandom, and I mean the family of Ma Tech not just my small - but growing - nuclear family I’m so proud that of, is based on this shared connection to the larger mission, vision and goals of GT.

THANK YOU, to everyone who is involved.

ME Class of 2000 here. Ma Tech IS part of my family. Thankful for Tech and the great folks who have made Tech Tech.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow

To be fair he has a point. I don't want to lower the quality of our existing majors. I have no problem with adding new majors. Diversification is a good thing. It'd also give students access to more classes they could take as electives which is never a bad thing. It can help students round themselves out to fit into whatever career path they envision for themselves. The biggest issue is the BOR doing anything that might hurt uga.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, the high standards most definitely makes recruiting incredibly difficult. So Tech has two options:

1. Lower its standards
2. Become the best in the nation at recruiting, seeking out those that can meet our standards

You choose (1). I choose (2).

We've always had this problem. So how did we win a national championship in 1990?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Dude, NO ONE is suggesting we change the degree requirements for any specific engineering degree. We are talking about adding other degree options that might be considered more athletic friendly. Why would an AE degree be devalued because some athlete chooses to get his degree in Sports Management (I'm making this up)?