GT vs Pitt Postgame

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a GT alum but I have talked to a few. And they definitely don't want to lower academic standards so we can be good at football.

We shouldn't...and we don't need to.

There are a LOT of good recruits who can do the work at GT, and are not intimidated by the math and science requirements. I have a few friends who I played football with in HS who are now coaching at some good schools in GA that put out a good number of high level recruits every year. Every single one of them tell me all the time that if GT got the right guy in with the right system, GT should at minimum be a top 3 team in the ACC, and likely the team to beat in the Coastal every season. Every single one of them tell me all the time that GT doesn't even get the consideration they should because recruits want nothing to do with our offense...that's both offensive and defensive players. Offensive players don't want to play in it, and defensive players don't want to practice against it or get short changed by practicing against players who are not equipped to prep them for the next level.

CPJ is a GOOD coach, I'll tell anyone that listens that. But unfortunately, I think his time at GT has passed. It happens...just like Mark Richt/Frank Beamer/Bobby Bowden and many other good coaches surpassed their effectiveness at other schools. Unfortunately, it's something that happens in sports. Guys become "gods" at their schools, and the fans and school try to capture lightening in a bottle again but end up keeping coaches longer than they should. We don't have to look any further than our basketball program to see that (Cremins/Hewitt).

I've read a lot of posters say that they worry about getting a good young coach at GT because he might leave after 3-5 years if he has success. I say, so what?! If a coach leaves for a "better" job, it's because he's successful. Success at GT, no matter if a coach leaves for a better job is still success at GT. It's up to the administration to find another good coach. Look at our last 30 years. GT made 1 bad hire in the last thirty years. Ross/O'Leary/Gailey/CPJ were all fairly good to very good coaches. Every single one of them either won the ACC or played in the ACCCG.

IMO, more damage can be done to a program if you hold on to a coach too long than if you hire a good coach that leaves because he has success.

Last edited:

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Why should they hang the same degree I have on their wall and not have to do the same work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey bud please for the sake of our football program can you please stop? Its a legit question. Can you please stop putting this attitude on our FOOTBALL program. Actually it's not a question. Im telling you to stop putting this mindset in our FOOTBALL program. We are here to win wether you like it or not.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I know there is plenty of people reading my posts that agree that are not responding. To you academic elitists. GTFO. This is big boy football. Time for Tstan and and company to act like it.
Ok I did not go to Georgia Tech but Southern Tech ( which at that time was a division of The Georgia Institute of Technology in 1979 which most don't know.

Here is the problem you can't and GT can't take out a class ( required for a degree) like calculus or thermodynamics . No College can let some get a degree not taking the same classes as everyone that would not be fair. The only hope is they would add a few other degrees but that not going to happen. ( you would need to ask someone else why they can't ) I have heard it before but don't want to tell you the wrong answer. I hope this helps you understand better.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
No. Not willing to devalue my diploma for athletics.

Reality check genius, the value of your diploma has nothing to do with the majors we make available to the athletes. You have been out 13 years, you should know by know that the value of your degree is what YOU do with it, nothing more, nothing less.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
And do you understand it is part of the degree requirements, approved by the BOR and not subject to be changed by the school? I would have no problem with degree programs that do now contain a calculus requirement, I just don't see the BOR granting that. You can ***** and moan and complain and call it elitist all you want to but you're tilting at windmills. Understand I am a sidewalk fan so I have no dog in the degree fight but, like you, I want Tech football and other sports to be successful so I educated myself to see if adding degrees or modifying degrees requirements was possible. It is but ONLY with BOR approval and if you know anything about GA politics you understand why I say it ain't happening

I counted 11 Georgia Grads an only 3 Tech grads (as well as some from other schools) on the board. I don’t see how changing anything about Tech, which would help its sports programs, will ever be approved with those members. No way they allow any other school to threaten Georgias sports prominence. Ga sports and Techs educational standing in the world is generating money and a lot of it, for the state.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If folks are happy to be Vandy, I guess so be it. I get the feeling most fans dont feel this way, even most alums.

I suppose I’d be okay offering some degrees that weren’t quite so STEM intensive but if someone wants an engineering degree then they need to take the same classes as I did. Simple really...and fair. I don’t know anyone that I graduated with that would be willing to give someone an academic pass to win a football game.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t know the sense of pride some have by earning a degree from Tech. Sounds miserable lol.

There is an intense pride and profound sense of satisfaction from accomplishing something extremely difficult and that few people in the world can achieve. I'm talking about getting a degree from Georgia Tech.

Before I was 5 years old, I knew how extremely difficult it was to get into Tech. I knew you had to be very intelligent to even get in. I set my sights on Tech and I eaneed my chemical engineering degree.

I don't want to be a school like UGA that produces mediocre minds. Georgia Tech can produce a football team of highest excellence without becoming UGA. What it takes is the iron-clad will to do so.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
No. Not willing to devalue my diploma for athletics.

Silly statement...I mean REALLY silly.....UNC is still nationally recognized and highly ranked university and they have egregious programs for their athletes. EVERYONE knows and understands that EVERY OTHER university does it. The argument that it will devalue your degree ie senseless, is unsupported by real world data and strikes me as purely emotional.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Reality check genius, the value of your diploma has nothing to do with the majors we make available to the athletes. You have been out 13 years, you should know by know that the value of your degree is what YOU do with it, nothing more, nothing less.

So much wrong with that.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Hey bud please for the sake of our football program can you please stop? Its a legit question. Can you please stop putting this attitude on our FOOTBALL program. Actually it's not a question. Im telling you to stop putting this mindset in our FOOTBALL program. We are here to win wether you like it or not.

Hahaha

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I counted 11 Georgia Grads an only 3 Tech grads (as well as some from other schools) on the board. I don’t see how changing anything about Tech, which would help its sports programs, will ever be approved with those members. No way they allow any other school to threaten Georgias sports prominence. Ga sports and Techs educational standing in the world is generating money and a lot of it, for the state.

Propose the changes, if they block them, drop the MF series against them every year and very publicly talk about why we are doing it.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I suppose I’d be okay offering some degrees that weren’t quite so STEM intensive but if someone wants an engineering degree then they need to take the same classes as I did. Simple really...and fair. I don’t know anyone that I graduated with that would be willing to give someone an academic pass to win a football game.

Agree. If they're taking an engineering major or the like, calculus is part of it. Want to add more degrees, fine. Find a few and get it done. Tech will always be limited in that regard though.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
We shouldn't...and we don't need to.

There are a LOT of good recruits who can do the work at GT, and are not intimidated by the math and science requirements. I have a few friends who I played football with in HS who are now coaching at some good schools in GA that put out a good number of high level recruits every year. Every single one of them tell me all the time that if GT got the right guy in with the right system, GT should at minimum be a top 3 team in the ACC, and likely the team to beat in the Coastal every season. Every single one of them tell me all the time that GT doesn't even get the consideration they should because recruits want nothing to do with our offense...that's both offensive and defensive players. Offensive players don't want to play in it, and defensive players don't want to practice against it or get short changed by practicing against players who are not equipped to prep them for the next level.

CPJ is a GOOD coach, I'll tell anyone that listens that. But unfortunately, I think his time at GT has passed. It happens...just like Mark Richt/Frank Beamer/Bobby Bowden and many other good coaches surpassed their effectiveness at other schools. Unfortunately, it's something that happens in sports. Guys become "gods" at their schools, and the fans and school try to capture lightening in a bottle again but end up keeping coaches longer than they should. We don't have to look any further than our basketball program to see that (Cremins/Hewitt).

I've read a lot of posters say that they worry about getting a good young coach at GT because he might leave after 3-5 years if he has success. I say, so what?! If a coach leaves for a "better" job, it's because he's successful. Success at GT, no matter if a coach leaves for a better job is still success at GT. It's up to the administration to find another good coach. Look at our last 30 years. GT made 1 bad hire in the last thirty years. Ross/O'Leary/Gailey/CPJ were all fairly good to very good coaches. Every single one of them either won the ACC or played in the ACCCG.

IMO, more damage can be done to a program if you hold on to a coach too long than if you hire a good coach that leaves because he has success.

You are on the money with the recruiting comments. I could never understand why CPJ would never evolve the offense to help get recruits in- he used to coach more of a run and shoot at Hawaii so he knows how to do it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Silly statement...I mean REALLY silly.....UNC is still nationally recognized and highly ranked university and they have egregious programs for their athletes. EVERYONE knows and understands that EVERY OTHER university does it. The argument that it will devalue your degree ie senseless, is unsupported by real world data and strikes me as purely emotional.

No, it’s not. I’d try to explain it to you but it sounds like we’d just end up in a circular argument.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

What if...I know this sounds crazy...but what if GT recruits kids that don't mind doing the work? What if GT can recruit kids who are elite players and elite scholars? Crazy huh?

Actually, it's not. We're just recruiting with a handicap at the moment.

I'm of the same opinion as you: GT should in no way devalue our degree for sports. But we don't need to.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Why do we waste our time arguing the same old tired ****? Money, recruiting, degrees offered, none of that is the problem. We recruit well enough to be able to execute the most basic parts of our offense and defense. Coaching and execution just isn't there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maybe our continued recruiting of good but not great players over the last 5 years has caught up with this system. I don't see much changing with more good teams in the ACC and the inability of our coach to make any real changes. He can't find or won't play a QB that can pass. Maybe they just don't want to play at GT or in this system but whatever the reason we are not very competitive right now for a lot of reasons. We are not a D 2 school and we play in a tough league with a tough schedule. It just isn't working anymore.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So much wrong with that.

No...there isn't. There really isn't. I cited UNC as a prime real-world data point that having degrees that athletes use has nothing to do with their other degree programs and has not ruined any reputations and not hurt any UNC grads in any tangible way (based on measurable data like salaries coming out of college, rakings amongst top US universities, etc).

Try giving me a data point of a university that has been ruined by taking that approach......