GT vs Pitt Postgame

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Only 12-24 hours now until someone posts on here that we were only a couple of plays and some bad calls by the refs away from beating Pitt and they’re sure we’re going to pound Clemson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
BUT just hear me out. For the FOOTBALL program it is ELITIST. We are not on a level playing ground. You see what im saying? We are in it to win games (lets be honest) We've got to level the playing ground. It starts with the academics. Tstan my hopes are with you

And do you understand it is part of the degree requirements, approved by the BOR and not subject to be changed by the school? I would have no problem with degree programs that do now contain a calculus requirement, I just don't see the BOR granting that. You can ***** and moan and complain and call it elitist all you want to but you're tilting at windmills. Understand I am a sidewalk fan so I have no dog in the degree fight but, like you, I want Tech football and other sports to be successful so I educated myself to see if adding degrees or modifying degrees requirements was possible. It is but ONLY with BOR approval and if you know anything about GA politics you understand why I say it ain't happening

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
We've got got to relax the rules for football players. Its the God's honest truth. Do you really disagree?

We are one of the best schools in the world. For us to rise to the challenge and have a highest echelon team is to Tech's glory, and an achievement rarely accomplished. When was the last time Harvard or MIT won the national championship or went to the Orange Bowl.

The glory lies not in dumbing down but rising to the challenge.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We are going to be stuck in mediocre to bad teams until we can start recruiting and coaching better. I do feel there are some things CPJ could do to give us a better chance to win. One thing would to not be in love with TQM at QB. He is not a QB and definitely not made for the option. TO would give us a better chance. Either way, it is time for CPJ to go and start moving in another direction.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So this loss hurt. Like really hurt. I had planned on this game being a turning point after last week. Truly believed it would be the game where the light goes on and the boys of Ga Tech woke up from the road nightmare we have been on.

We missed that chance. I poured a bourbon, watched the post game interviews, took a walk with my dog through the woods behind my house and have come back to post a simple message of hope.

We had shots to win. We went down 21-0 in the first half and had a chance to win the game, on the road. That’s crazy.

After watching the pup run through the woods I remembered that this is just a game. 3.5 hours of action from 30 something, 18 something year olds representing Georgia Tech. The school that introduced me to my wife, that gave me a degree which has provided remarkable job opportunities but also taught me about myself, my limits and growth. This team still has the chance to be good. I still think we can beat anyone left on our schedule (no doubt both Clemson and “u”GA will be tough but it’s possible).

As to the talk of quitting on this team, I’ll say this:
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

As to the talk of CPJ getting fired, I’ll say this:
He owned his mistakes, and I actually think we will be better going forward. I don’t understand our kicking game woes, like actually can’t fathom how this has happened, but hey it is what it is and we are where we’re at.

I will continue to support the program and the athletes and the staff, because they’re part of the tradition and family that is the Institute. CPJ didn’t all of a sudden forget how to call a game or coach a team. We will right this ship. I personally am cutting a check to GTAA today as an investment in improvement. For those of us fans not happy with the product we see on the field there is a clear path forward. Send in a flood of money. Donate as much as you can plus 10%. Let’s give TStan and CPJ all the resources our alumni base can muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, for one, appreciate the show of commitment and determination you have given in both word and deed. You are a better man than I. Being a Tech fan is tiring at times especially after nearly a half a century. One of the things that is really irksome is that the problems are the same now as they were in the mid 1960s, the 1970s, the 1980s, much of the 1990s, and throughout the modern era namely recruiting and an unwillingness to change with the times and recognize that football players do not want to be part of a culture that demands we be like Harvard 6 days a week and Notre Dame on Saturday. Excellence in a football program starts at the top and filters it way to the players. More and better facilities, recruiting resources, academic support, and the like will help recruiting but it will not increase the pool of talent from which we can get good to great football players.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Well guys i give up then. Im honestly just trying to convince myself that we can COMPETE. But i guess not. Today seems like one of the worst days as a GT fan I've ever had. Don't know what else to say really.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Well guys i give up then. Im honestly just trying to convince myself that we can COMPETE. But i guess not. Today seems like one of the worst days as GT fan I've ever had. Don't know what else to say really.

That’s what makes years like this one and the trend for the past few years so bad. Early on and we know we can’t compete.

It would hurt less if we could look forward to some effort to fix it. Right now we have the same to look forward to next year as well. And if CPJ doesn’t retire before end of his contract we might go 10 years without a bowl game.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
That’s what makes years like this one and the trend for the past few years so bad. Early on and we know we can’t compete.

It would hurt less if we could look forward to some effort to fix it. Right now we have the same to look forward to next year as well. And if CPJ doesn’t retire before end of his contract we might go 10 years without a bowl game.
It hurts man

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Question for you all.
If you had a coach that won 10 games, then went

4-6, 5-5, 6-5,5-5 would you have fired him.......if so then you just Fired Bobby Dodd after his 1960 season. Think about that a minute.

True, and the source of those years of frustration for Coach Dodd as chronicled in his autobiography were recruiting restrictions imposed by the Hill specifically the requirement of calculus. His recruiting classes of the late 19500s were generally sub par by his standards and he went through something of a mid life crisis. He seriously contemplated accepting an offer to coach at Texas. Fortunately, he was able to recruit some very good players in the early 1960s including Billy Lothridge, Billy Martin, Ted Davis, Rufus Guthrie, Lenny Snow, Larry Good, Billy Schroer, and of course, the "young lefthander" Kim King as well as many others to finish his career in style. Another problem that arose during those years was the arrival of Bear Bryant at Alabama and Ray Graves at Florida. Alabama, Florida, LSU, and UGA gradually got better through the years until Tech left the SEC in 1964. Dodd was also flexible enough to ditch the split T and go to a more pro style offense during that time.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Well guys i give up then. Im honestly just trying to convince myself that we can COMPETE. But i guess not. Today seems like one of the worst days as a GT fan I've ever had. Don't know what else to say really.

Don’t get too discouraged. There will be better days ahead and I think we will be able to do it without doing anything to our curriculum. I think a fresh coaching staff would go a long way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I, for one, appreciate the show of commitment and determination you have given in both word and deed. You are a better man than I. Being a Tech fan is tiring at times especially after nearly a half a century. One of the things that is really irksome is that the problems are the same now as they were in the mid 1960s, the 1970s, the 1980s, much of the 1990s, and throughout the modern era namely recruiting and an unwillingness to change with the times and recognize that football players do not want to be part of a culture that demands we be like Harvard 6 days a week and Notre Dame on Saturday. Excellence in a football program starts at the top and filters it way to the players. More and better facilities, recruiting resources, academic support, and the like will help recruiting but it will not increase the pool of talent from which we can get good to great football players.

I don’t, for even a moment, claim to be a better man than the next. I just have clarity in what and why I support Georgia Tech.

I have said it before and will say it again, the Institute was a launching pad for my ambition and has served me well. I want to be competitive at sport, but most importantly IMHO believe teaching and developing tomorrow’s leader’s today is the most important mission we as an Institution have.

The glory and goodness of GaTech is so much greater than the W/L column of any sport we field. I don’t care if the story is about the only number retired by our football team, the legacy left by sideways the dog, the story more recently shared here about our coaching staff supporting the child of a fan who needed a little love, our involvement in integration of races in the south, our commitment to placing astronauts, the countless men and women who have served our country across the globe in fields of combat or even something as simple as Buzz makes a kid’s day. This is why I love the Institute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Nah, you don't need to give up. Things that TStan has put in place with and will address going forward will help. What we as Tech fans have to understand the pool of SAs that can come to Tech is smaller, then add STEM programs to the mix and it gets smaller still. The SAs are out there, finding them, cultivating and enrolling them is the challenge that can only be met with staff dedicated to exactly that!

Hell trust me, I know how bad it can get at Tech. See my screen name???? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: