GT signing day update ...

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
When I was at Emory there was a discussion about the metrics used for these rankings and whether or not it is worth it to do the political lobbying to raise your ranking. Emory decided it was not worth it and it isn't necessary if you are a good school attracting top students from around the country.

But, no. No way Uga is better than those other schools. A friend of mine teaches there and both my wife and I have done work for them. It is not a class organization.
They changed the methodology. It reduces the weight of admissions stats. I think it considers a lot of fluffy, subjective factors. If you go off admissions stats and post graduate outcomes (grad school admissions, salary / job placement), GT is a top 20 school. Uga probably wouldn’t crack the top 50. But some people think feelings matter....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They changed the methodology. It reduces the weight of admissions stats. I think it considers a lot of fluffy, subjective factors. If you go off admissions stats and post graduate outcomes (grad school admissions, salary / job placement), GT is a top 20 school. Uga probably wouldn’t crack the top 50. But some people think feelings matter....
Yeah, one factor was how many of your graduates report having a positive feeling about the school. I am exaggerating only slightly.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, one factor was how many of your graduates report having a positive feeling about the school. I am exaggerating only slightly.
Thankfully our biggest impediment to success - President Peterson - is on his way out. I don’t want to go down an anti-Peterson rabbit hole. But the guy literally accomplished / did nothing. It wasn’t even like he swung and missed on new ideas / initiatives - he just didn’t do anything to improve the school or better position us in the changing dynamics of higher education.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Still near the bottom of the conference. No where to go but up.
I wonder if that will change as Tech's reputation changes? Duke has kind of been getting the same level of players for the last several years but now a kid signing with Duke seems to get a slightly higher ranking. Some of this is still very subjective.

herb

Helluva Engineer
When I was at Emory there was a discussion about the metrics used for these rankings and whether or not it is worth it to do the political lobbying to raise your ranking. Emory decided it was not worth it and it isn't necessary if you are a good school attracting top students from around the country.

First and foremost, I am sure you are correct about when you were there, but Emory is the ultimate cheater and totally gamed the system and LIED about the their test scores to keep their rankings up. They self reported wrong numbers. https://www.ajc.com/news/local/emory-scandal-critics-doubt-college-ratings/I2brkUPb2keaDRpbxXhIGJ/.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
They didn't just pick up the baton and close guys that were in the fold. They literally got nearly 10 brand new commitments from kids that had no desire to come here, including 2 4 star players. Nearly 50% of this class (if u include the transfers) was all CGC work in only a handful of weeks, including some studs.

As I understand, not one kid signed today even sniffed us prior to Geoff (even if we may have offered)....the work the new guys did cannot go under looked.

That is more than astounding in a transition year if you ask me.

unreal job considering everything.

Consistent theme coming from coaches. Size, Speed, Length. Need to bring more of that to the roster. Good start. Waiting for big uglies next year.

We were in Griffin's Top 5 last March, iirc, while he was a 3*. @Yomanser said Roof was a factor in his choice of NC State. I'd say that was a sniff.

I think I'm one of the biggest CPJ fans on this forum, but I agree that CGC is better at unapologetic pushing of Tech brand. We can appreciate what he's doing without throwing shade at last staff with ignorant assumptions.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
First and foremost, I am sure you are correct about when you were there, but Emory is the ultimate cheater and totally gamed the system and LIED about the their test scores to keep their rankings up. They self reported wrong numbers. https://www.ajc.com/news/local/emory-scandal-critics-doubt-college-ratings/I2brkUPb2keaDRpbxXhIGJ/.
That's too bad. Yes, this happened many years after I was there. I am glad the individual(s) responsible are no longer there. Ironically U.S News reported that the false data reporting did not change Emory's ranking.

When I was there Emory cited gaming by Brown and Harvard. The decision was made to try to increase alumni giving because that is interpreted as alumni satisfaction. I still get regular requests for donations. The other stuff involved fluff reports built on things like reducing class size.

I certainly think the point remains that rankings are not entirely reliable.

Milwaukee

Banned
We were in Griffin's Top 5 last March, iirc, while he was a 3*. @Yomanser said Roof was a factor in his choice of NC State. I'd say that was a sniff.

I think I'm one of the biggest CPJ fans on this forum, but I agree that CGC is better at unapologetic pushing of Tech brand. We can appreciate what he's doing without throwing shade at last staff with ignorant assumptions.

Yes, we can. You should try it.

How in the hell was he "throwing shade"? Lmao. Some of you guys are killing me.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Thank you. I am guilty of assuming perhaps too much from a minority of the GTSwarm forum. While most understand, I appreciate your posts that remind me that all do not. GT alum have a reputation for being elitist. While I strive not to fall into that stereotype, I am grateful for you reminding me of my failure.

@33jacket said, "As I understand, not one kid signed today even sniffed us prior to Geoff ."

The words "prior to Geoff" refer to what I call the "last staff." Now, the question arises of why he says this. The answer which I (wrongly?) assumed obvious was to put Geoff forward favorably in comparison to what came before, ie the "last staff." In other words, it puts them in the shade, or insilts them in comparison to Geoff.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I am sorry for my thoughtless assumption that my point would be understood.

Keep asking questions. That's how we all grow.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I started attending Georgia Tech in 2011.

Thursday, August 29th @ Clemson University may be the single biggest opportunity for the future of the program that I've ever seen in my ~90ish Georgia Tech games since becoming a fan. I don't think it can be overstated how much pulling off one massive upset against the defending national champs on opening night of college football on national television with a new coach and energy would instantly put Georgia Tech on the map of every high school football 4 and 5 star recruit.

2014 ACCCG against Florida State is maybe the only game in my time that rivals it.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you @AE_87 @33jacket really about to argue the meaning of "sniff" lol? Ok yes Jamious "sniffed" us. We were in his Top 5 with NC State, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, and Purdue before he committed to NC State. He later decommitted from NCSU after CGC and staff had been recruiting him and signed with us over Auburn, FSU, and Louisville. Credit to CGC. Should be no shade on CPJ.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Are you @AE_87 @33jacket really about to argue the meaning of "sniff" lol? Ok yes Jamious "sniffed" us. We were in his Top 5 with NC State, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, and Purdue before he committed to NC State. He later decommitted from NCSU after CGC and staff had been recruiting him and signed with us over Auburn, FSU, and Louisville. Credit to CGC. Should be no shade on CPJ.
The best player in the whole bunch is Yates. I really hope nobody was sniffing him on visits but the last staff got him to commit.

On second thought, maybe the new guy was sniffing Parker???

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
The best player in the whole bunch is Yates. I really hope nobody was sniffing him on visits but the last staff got him to commit.

On second thought, maybe the new guy was sniffing Parker???
Maybe. Based off tape I give it to Griffin (on O) but I think Yates has a chance to be good also.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Its not. I wasn't even going to reply its so silly. If there is one poster these two months that has said stop pitting one staff vs the other and give both credit where its due its me. Some people are still so sad paul left anything the new guy does must be due to anti paul. And that attitude is the same on this board with some. I am not saying that pertains to @AE 87 but its is here.

And for some the way CGC is just flat out makes them scoff. Like wearing 404 hats, or doing game of throne workouts or tweeting alot. It doesn't resonate with them. Nor does it resonate with some of our current players who over time may choose to leave and or have left. And thats fine. Thats their right. But because Geoff does it, it doesn't mean its a slight to Paul. But it does resonate with today's youth, so for recruiting it should help. We need to be unique imo. He is an unabashed salesmen of tech and apologizes to no one and we should all like that. Yet for some reason, some can't.

We actually have a coach that called tech their dream job. When was the last time that happened? Yet, some still..just...can't...bring...themselves......to.............like...................him because in some ways he is so the opposite of Paul.

Each staff will break their strengths and weaknesses. But neither are related to one another and posters who make comments about the success of one doesn't mean its immediate shade to the other.

But, he is right, griffin did look at tech. But he committed to NC State during the prior staff's tenure. He would not have come here. He did. My point was, kudos to CGC, as with the 9-10 other players he brought in. Its an unreal feat in 2 months to do, during a transition. Unreal. I hope its the map for the future. And those truths, are no way throwing shade at the prior staff. iiwii