GT signing day update ...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
so bad on so many levels. And I know you are being sarcastic. Hopefully you soon will grasp CGC
You are very perceptive, but my sarcasm has a clear point. The guys ahead of him are not chopped liver and he hasn’t even stepped foot on a college practice field yet. I don’t like anointing anyone.

As far as Griffin goes, he has a helluva lot to prove to me. The hat show mess speaks primadonna in my opinion. As you may can tell that doesn’t sit well with me. It sits even worse if he was forced to do it by our coach.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN sadly didn't think much of Geoff Collins first recruiting class at Georgia Tech and gave it a grade of C. I think this was a very good recruiting class and it showed how good Geoff Collins and his coaching staff are at recruiting.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-signing-day-grades-every-power-5-program#ACC
Thats about right. Hard to give a rating better than a C with 45 power 5s in front of you. Now if this guy had taken the time, he could have given bonus points to Collins for great work over the past two months. The fact that we are so excited (I'm doing back flips) over signing one of our two 4 stars on a hat show is not a great sign of our recruiting prowess ! :) I am much less excited about the fact our two biggest competitors are wide awake signing multiple 5 stars. I am a big believer that you can only control your own situation and yesterday was a baby step toward the goals set by our new staff.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are very perceptive, but my sarcasm has a clear point. The guys ahead of him are not chopped liver and he hasn’t even stepped foot on a college practice field yet. I don’t like anointing anyone.

captain obvious there...and it is exactly why I said my first point to you. IF he beats em out, says alot. So we are back to square one with my point. I guess you kinda proved it.

Its fine, I get where you are coming from regarding the new swag of GT and its players...its gonna be here a while and kids love it. Its what is going to make them come here. Some of the same folks still laugh at Dabo and call him a fool, and not a good coach. Yet he is two Natty's in, is no fool and is one heck of a coach. For me I would rather get on board than not. Just like with Paul. I was not enamored with bringing the option here. I said from day 1 over time it will be hard to recruit to and I worried about his defenses. For various reasons. But I got on board...rather than fight it.

Times have changed since when I was in school thats for sure.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
captain obvious there...and it is exactly why I said my first point to you. IF he beats em out, says alot. So we are back to square one with my point. I guess you kinda proved it.

Its fine, I get where you are coming from regarding the new swag of GT and its players...its gonna be here a while and kids love it. Its what is going to make them come here. Some of the same folks still laugh at Dabo and call him a fool, and not a good coach. Yet he is two Natty's in, is no fool and is one heck of a coach. For me I would rather get on board than not. Just like with Paul. I was not enamored with bringing the option here. I said from day 1 over time it will be hard to recruit to and I worried about his defenses. For various reasons. But I got on board...rather than fight it.

Times have changed since when I was in school thats for sure.
I like Dabo and I like a lot of what I’ve seen so far out of Collins. I really like the idea of changing the national perception of Georgia Tech football. I am a GT fan first and foremost so I’m definitely on board. There are certain things I am not willing to sacrifice to win football games however.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I like Dabo and I like a lot of what I’ve seen so far out of Collins. I really like the idea of changing the national perception of Georgia Tech football. I am a GT fan first and foremost so I’m definitely on board. There are certain things I am not willing to sacrifice to win football games however.

regarding the second part...I am probably more lenient than you there....so for me I hope Geoff brings a tad more there than in the past. I am not saying flat out cut players that committed or cut em after year 1 etc...but there are other things we can do....taking more exceptions for one...we had the opportunity to do that in years past and just wouldn't. Risking the oversigning by a ship or 2 a year, planning on attrition and using walk on ships as the out. Those things we can do and be ok still....stuff like that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
regarding the second part...I am probably more lenient than you there....so for me I hope Geoff brings a tad more there than in the past. I am not saying flat out cut players that committed or cut em after year 1 etc...but there are other things we can do....taking more exceptions for one...we had the opportunity to do that in years past and just wouldn't. Risking the oversigning by a ship or 2 a year, planning on attrition and using walk on ships as the out. Those things we can do and be ok still....stuff like that.
You are right, we disagree on that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Its not. I wasn't even going to reply its so silly. If there is one poster these two months that has said stop pitting one staff vs the other and give both credit where its due its me. Some people are still so sad paul left anything the new guy does must be due to anti paul. And that attitude is the same on this board with some. I am not saying that pertains to @AE 87 but its is here.

And for some the way CGC is just flat out makes them scoff. Like wearing 404 hats, or doing game of throne workouts or tweeting alot. It doesn't resonate with them. Nor does it resonate with some of our current players who over time may choose to leave and or have left. And thats fine. Thats their right. But because Geoff does it, it doesn't mean its a slight to Paul. But it does resonate with today's youth, so for recruiting it should help. We need to be unique imo. He is an unabashed salesmen of tech and apologizes to no one and we should all like that. Yet for some reason, some can't.

We actually have a coach that called tech their dream job. When was the last time that happened? Yet, some still..just...can't...bring...themselves......to.............like...................him because in some ways he is so the opposite of Paul.

Each staff will break their strengths and weaknesses. But neither are related to one another and posters who make comments about the success of one doesn't mean its immediate shade to the other.

But, he is right, griffin did look at tech. But he committed to NC State during the prior staff's tenure. He would not have come here. He did. My point was, kudos to CGC, as with the 9-10 other players he brought in. Its an unreal feat in 2 months to do, during a transition. Unreal. I hope its the map for the future. And those truths, are no way throwing shade at the prior staff. iiwii

Could you provide a post that supports your claim, "Some people are still so sad paul left anything the new guy does must be due to anti paul"?

Fwiw, you introduced that in the context of me saying your post was a dig at Paul, not anything CGC has done.

I, for one, really like what CGC is doing with respect to branding and recruiting.

So apart from reacting to his comments like preparing guys for the NFL as if that were new, can you find a post where somebody is reacting to something CGC is doing as anti CPJ? For example, did somebody make a post saying that CGC is going to Waffle House as anti-paul?

I think the reality is that some people are so glad that CPJ is gone, they frame everything CGC is doing as better and more productive than Paul. Your post was an example of that. It was not enough to say that the new signees bode well for CGCs future success, you made a dig.

I haven't read all the threads, so I'm sure that I just missed the ones you have in mind.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
That has been a struggle for Tech as long as I can remember. To be fair, it is a struggle for every school in the country to do this consistently except for about 7 or 8 teams that I can think of.
My hope is we get a few of the #4 and perhaps a #5 or two of OL and DT's in next years recruiting class. We will see.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I started attending Georgia Tech in 2011.

Thursday, August 29th @ Clemson University may be the single biggest opportunity for the future of the program that I've ever seen in my ~90ish Georgia Tech games since becoming a fan. I don't think it can be overstated how much pulling off one massive upset against the defending national champs on opening night of college football on national television with a new coach and energy would instantly put Georgia Tech on the map of every high school football 4 and 5 star recruit.

2014 ACCCG against Florida State is maybe the only game in my time that rivals it.

I don't disagree but ... I recall GT playing Alabama in 1981 and beating them 21-20 at Legion Field. The Jackets were totally pysched to win this game. And promptly failed to win another all year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Unfortunately Uga has claimed Atlanta as its home base for at least the last 40 years. When they chose Atlanta for the site of the SEC championship it just further cemented the narrative. Even fast food franchises started by Tech alumni are often referred to as dog turf. I could go on but this has stuck in my craw a long time. I hope the new regime gives a 1000% effort to re establishing Atlanta as OUR HOME TURF.
Bruh #404TakeOver

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately Uga has claimed Atlanta as its home base for at least the last 40 years. When they chose Atlanta for the site of the SEC championship it just further cemented the narrative. Even fast food franchises started by Tech alumni are often referred to as dog turf. I could go on but this has stuck in my craw a long time. I hope the new regime gives a 1000% effort to re establishing Atlanta as OUR HOME TURF.

When Howard Schnellenberger turned around Miami, he said the first thing they did was draw a circle around Miami-Dade and declare, "We own this." And his staff went on to saturate the area and own recruiting in that area of Florida.

It looks like Geoff is going to do something similar. I love it.