GT signing day update ...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was limited in exceptions when he first started coaching at GT. After several years of good academics and APR, he was told that the limits would be lifted and he could take as many as he wanted, but that the football staff was responsible for ensuring that all of the football players kept up with academics. I am not currently looking back at the dates so I might be wrong, but I believe that the one year that we had a class that had several players fall(after signing) out was close after the limitations were lifted. It is kind of hard to sign and keep players on campus if they don't have a shot at keeping up academically.

I don’t recall that. But i cant remember all 11 years so easily either. You may be right. I remember we had a few guys transfer, one offseason we had perfectly good dudes just leave. Many not academic related. One or 2 may have struggled here but we dont know if they were exceptions. But still. It wasnt a ton as i recall

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure. Who did he get burned by? As an example. Mills for instance was not an exception. He had solid grades to qualify. So just depends what you mean. All programs have kids that dont follow rules.

But I cant recall him ever being burned by academic casualties, heck its so few. I tend to believe who told me he just wouldnt bother. This person would have a good idea.

With that said I fully expect collins to stretch the boundary. I also expect apr to go down some and that 85 percent grad rate will too. I expect to see more roster turnover, and signing guys expecting attrition in spring. Its just what i think we see
Custis was one and there was another 4 star kid whose brother played here I can’t recall his name.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I call him a casualty. Took up recruiting time and a slot only to discover he had not really finished his course work to get into college.

No. Anthony got kicked off the team due to behavior and myles requested a release of loi as a result. He never failed out.

An exception is someone who gets an offer and and enrolls. Then as part of the program if they fail out etc. that is not myles. Period.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he never qualified so I guess he technically wasn’t an exception, but he would have been. The point I’m trying to make is Paul swung the opposite way after those two academic fiascos.
He signed loi. His brother got kicked out of tech. Myles requested a release and got it. He may or may not have been an exception but he wasn’t an academic fiasco. Academic fiasco is like chan and flunkgate. Not kid cant be admitted

Are u guys making it up about him not qualifying? I dont recall.

Anyway. If thats the worst lol. No more exceptions. Two almosts if you ask me. How about all the good stories. Like nesbitt. Daryl smith. Gosh i forget the rest

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He was an academic casualty? I dont recall him ever enrolling? He enrolled here and failed out?
After our staff failed to insure the hs had done the correct paper, custis was dismissed.
Then We did revamp of player development. I met coach hurt when I got my tour. Old guy, but seemed to be a strong hand.

Kind of like after mills we did revamp the weed rules.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don’t recall that. But i cant remember all 11 years so easily either. You may be right. I remember we had a few guys transfer, one offseason we had perfectly good dudes just leave. Many not academic related. One or 2 may have struggled here but we dont know if they were exceptions. But still. It wasnt a ton as i recall

I was saying fall out instead of fail out. I don't know the reasons for kids leaving. The school isn't likely to say why for privacy reasons. The kids might or might not say, and even if they do say might or might not be entirely accurate in their explanation. If a kid has grade issues, he is likely to transfer to a junior college instead of another FBS or FCS school. Doesn't necessarily mean that he filled out of GT. A kid with marginal grades might go to a junior college of he isn't willing to put in the work to bring them up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He was an academic casualty? I dont recall him ever enrolling? He enrolled here and failed out?

He was having problems being cleared by the NCAA for academic qualifications. During that time his brother was kicked off the GT team. I don't think he was ever approved by the NCAA, but I'm not sure. He went to a junior college and graduated, which is what kids do if they can't get approval from the NCAA. So he was not a player who failed out of GT, but he was an exception signee who was an academic casualty.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No. Anthony got kicked off the team due to behavior and myles requested a release of loi as a result. He never failed out.

An exception is someone who gets an offer and and enrolls. Then as part of the program if they fail out etc. that is not myles. Period.
You think Miles was not an exception? We just disagree then. I remember CPJ feeling burned by the experience. People would naturally ask about Miles' status. He was enrolled, then he was not enrolled, then he had not graduated from high school, then he was going to enroll late, then he started blaming Tech for his academic failures, and coach could not comment on any of it per NCAA rules as well as his sense of integrity. After that it seemed like making sure a player was serious about school became an even higher priority.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He signed loi. His brother got kicked out of tech. Myles requested a release and got it. He may or may not have been an exception but he wasn’t an academic fiasco. Academic fiasco is like chan and flunkgate. Not kid cant be admitted

Are u guys making it up about him not qualifying? I dont recall.

Anyway. If thats the worst lol. No more exceptions. Two almosts if you ask me. How about all the good stories. Like nesbitt. Daryl smith. Gosh i forget the rest

I won't name the OL, but there was an OL that graduated a few years ago with a business degree and he had a 2.9 GPA when we recruited him (according to his recruiting story in AJC). Still the lowest GPA I could find for a GT recruit. Anthony Autry I believe had a 3.1 GPA (which is good for most kids as most kids don't go to GT) out of Norcross when we recruited him, and he did fine until he got his 3rd strike for non academic reasons.

As former SAs have attested to, GT gives their SAs plenty of help and GT is manageable as long as the SA is willing to do the work.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Did Myles end up actually playing anywhere? I just did a quick google search and couldn’t find anything on it. That’s a real sad case if true