GT signing day update ...

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Does Ezzard have to sit out 2 seasons? What is this transfer within the acc penalty bs?

No, if not granted a waiver he'd have to sit out one season. But that season he sat out would count against his eligibility (as if he had played). I'd think he could get a waiver though since Miami's coaching staff changed and our AD is no longer a buffoon.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Is he qualified academically to enter Tech? And is his transcript from UM transferable to Tech?
Ah. The $64000 question (that really dates me). We'll have to see. I'm guessing the staff wouldn't be recruiting him if they didn't think they could get him in, but that's been said before about a jillion times.

Next question = does the 85 limit supposedly being reached include Parker transferring? Hope not; that would make it easier.

And one correction: Paul actually signed two 4 star RBs, Autry and Custis. Too bad about them. And several backs - Mills, Laskey, Days, Benson - who were better on their worse day then either of them on their best.

Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah. The $64000 question (that really dates me). We'll have to see. I'm guessing the staff wouldn't be recruiting him if they didn't think they could get him in, but that's been said before about a jillion times.

Next question = does the 85 limit supposedly being reached include Parker transferring? Hope not; that would make it easier.

And one correction: Paul actually signed two 4 star RBs, Autry and Custis. Too bad about them. And several backs - Mills, Laskey, Days, Benson - who were better on their worse day then either of them on their best.
Neither of those guys were consensus 4 stars on signing day. Autry dropped like a rock from preseason to signing day and Custis was a 3 star with 247 and rivals. I would agree that neither matched even our lowly 2 star (Laskey) . Hell, what are stars anyway, Gotsis was a 2 and Calvin a dang 4! :) We might should be keeping an eye on our lowest rated guys in this class!;)

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Autry, where is he now? I haven’t heard anything about him playing for some other college elsewhere.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Autry, where is he now? I haven’t heard anything about him playing for some other college elsewhere.

According to "From the Rumble Seat", he played in two games for De Anza Community College (in Cupertino, California) in 2016.

Milwaukee

Banned
The Staff wouldn’t recruit someone who isn’t qualified.

This is true. In the past we'd have posters that claim all the blue chip 5 stars that we recruit most likely wouldn't qualify anyway (conveniently they mention this after we've already lost them in a recruiting battle when the coaches couldn't land them). Thank you for speaking the truth; we target and offer the best players in the nation each year and always have. Hopefully now we can snag a few of them through relentless recruiting.

Time will tell. I stopped following recruiting when Paul got here because we were taking it on the chin with classes in the 50s, 60s, 40s maybe.

As much as people don't want to agree with this the fact is you have to GET THE BETTER TALENT on your roster, and then worrying about outscheming your opponent. It's not the other way around. You can't win consistently when you're overmatched.

On the flip side of that, recruiting studs doesn't guarantee success on it's own. You then have to scheme and coach well. But the talent is more important than the coaching, it's just a fact, and that bothers a lot of people here. The difference is sometimes a coach can just roll the ball out there and his superior players are going to win the game for him, not always, but a lot of times. A coach can't just roll the ball out there with his inferior talent and win against a superior team. It's not happening, ever.

Paul could take inferior talent and beat better talent sometimes, but not consistently. He's one of maybe 3 or 4 coaches I've seen in the modern era great enough to pull that off.

I hope this was on topic, I'm tired and finally just finished my taxes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we can all agree that the Hill plays a huge role in recruiting. It’s common knowledge that some players from the past couldn’t get past the Hill the past decade.
Not going to name names, but those in the know have a pretty good list.
Also this
Iirc Coach Hurt came in 5 years ago as part of process that improved players academic development. We have starters graduating in 3 or 4 years. The gt students now get free tutoring. The shaft profs are dialed back. Isnt it correct that almost no gt students flunk out. ?? Dont 86% of players graduate.

However, Gt is way hard compared to others p5 schools. Andy told me that he has to concentrate on private academies for the type of players gt requires.

Hope we get team to show brotherhood and spirit in class room i. E. - hold each other accountable for going to class or turning in papers. AND Get help before it's too late.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think we can all agree that the Hill plays a huge role in recruiting. It’s common knowledge that some players from the past couldn’t get past the Hill the past decade.
Not going to name names, but those in the know have a pretty good list.

You guys remember Trent Thompson? The 5 star DT that rumor has it could barely read and ended up at UGA.

CPJ put the full court press on him when he visited the summer between his JR/SR year. CPJ was allowed unlimited exceptions, but doesn't mean he swung for fences on everyone of them in terms of taking chances on academic question marks. Make no mistake though, CPJ did recruit some guys that probably would have struggled mightily here.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys remember Trent Thompson? The 5 star DT that rumor has it could barely read and ended up at UGA.

CPJ put the full court press on him when he visited the summer between his JR/SR year. CPJ was allowed unlimited exceptions, but doesn't mean he swung for fences on everyone of them in terms of taking chances on academic question marks. Make no mistake though, CPJ did recruit some guys that probably would have struggled mightily here.
You are absolutely correct that we showed love for Trent and were even excited that he came on campus. The big question that you and I will never know is if he would have gotten in. I for one think about the man hours required to manage a kid like Trent to keep him on the field after he arrives. I think of the time and effort spent on Custis and he never graced the field. On the other hand, I want to believe that Collins could have closed the deal on Tuitt (Truet, Magrewit, whatever) who chose N.D. over us as a 5 star with no academic issues. Maybe his MAMA liked Waffle House.:)