GT signing day update ...

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
When Howard Schnellenberger turned around Miami, he said the first thing they did was draw a circle around Miami-Dade and declare, "We own this." And his staff went on to saturate the area and own recruiting in that area of Florida.

It looks like Geoff is going to do something similar. I love it.

True although we are also going to recruit more nationally and maybe internationally than we have before. Which is not a conflict with putting a stamp of ownership in our backyard. Realistically we can't keep UGA and the rest of the southeast from nabbing top talent, and there are too many of those guys for one team anyway. But we can make them go through us to steal away our targets. That perspective alone is a major change in perception from before.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Got to learn how to work out and not eat out. He had the quick feet to have NFL.

Yup. A lot was on him and discipline.

Guys like Shamire need to be in a program like Nick Saban's and Jim Harbaugh. Tough love, and they let you know your football "job" is as important as school. IMO, Shamire won the genetic lottery for NFL OLs, he just never cashed it in. Looking back at that tape where he took on the elite of the elite at the Nike camp, I mean he took on top 10 DL and DE and took them out, you had visions of an All American and NFL draft pick. At times you saw glimpses of it (like the end of 2014). From all reports, a SUPER guy...just motivated by other things in life besides football. Nothing wrong with that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When Howard Schnellenberger turned around Miami, he said the first thing they did was draw a circle around Miami-Dade and declare, "We own this." And his staff went on to saturate the area and own recruiting in that area of Florida.

I see this parallel as well and wondered if anyone else did. I hope Geoff leaves out anything else related to UM football during that era other than winning a bunch of football games. This is what worries me.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer

Howard said also that if you can control recruiting from Tampa to Orlando and south you should be a national power pretty much every season. Howard Schnellenberger was a coaching visionary.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Could you provide a post that supports your claim, "Some people are still so sad paul left anything the new guy does must be due to anti paul"?

Fwiw, you introduced that in the context of me saying your post was a dig at Paul, not anything CGC has done.

I, for one, really like what CGC is doing with respect to branding and recruiting.

So apart from reacting to his comments like preparing guys for the NFL as if that were new, can you find a post where somebody is reacting to something CGC is doing as anti CPJ? For example, did somebody make a post saying that CGC is going to Waffle House as anti-paul?

I think the reality is that some people are so glad that CPJ is gone, they frame everything CGC is doing as better and more productive than Paul. Your post was an example of that. It was not enough to say that the new signees bode well for CGCs future success, you made a dig.

I haven't read all the threads, so I'm sure that I just missed the ones you have in mind.

Dont have the time to go dig up posts. Just as you haven’t read em all i don’t remember who said what when it would be a needle in haystack expidition. Just stuff like that was said. Much moderated and hence the sticky

Sorry u take it as a dig at paul. I could care less what anyone thinks look at my post history and i say alot of good about him and called him one of us.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Small nuance of this discussion is that CPJ worked hard to expand the use of academic exceptions but he made sure they had a chance to meet APR and graduate. I think CPJ did it right.

Depends who u talk to. I was told that paul was allowed more exceptions to use because he did well with apr and graduating kids but never exercised that leeway....

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
When I was at Emory there was a discussion about the metrics used for these rankings and whether or not it is worth it to do the political lobbying to raise your ranking. Emory decided it was not worth it and it isn't necessary if you are a good school attracting top students from around the country.

But, no. No way Uga is better than those other schools. A friend of mine teaches there and both my wife and I have done work for them. It is not a class organization.
Since the inception of the lottery ugag has no doubt attracted a smarter student...on average...but the education they receive is mediocre. The UNWR must be factoring in the fact of the overall smarter graduate and not the quality of the education.

Conversely...I'm sure everyone here can relate but my daughter who graduated two years ago has a best friend who went to uga and graduated and is not very bright at all. Two years after graduating, she's still looking for meaningful employment even in this day and time.

GT_EE78

Banned
getting 2 of the last 5 signers (thats 40%) to be 4 star guys was a great way to close the period. Granted thats a small sample size but they had a short and late period of time to work with. Projecting that 40% over a few years (versus the 247 talent composite) can give us an idea of whats possible.
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-F...edium=ExternalEmbed&utm_campaign=TeamRankings
If 40% of our future recruits are 4/5 star types them our team talent composite would rank about 40th for 2020 , 30th in 2021 and peak at 20th in 2023. Thats not bad at all but its still a long chug to move up that ladder. I'll need some additional type of chugging to help get thru the ups n downs of these years. Go jackets!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Since the inception of the lottery ugag has no doubt attracted a smarter student...on average...but the education they receive is mediocre. The UNWR must be factoring in the fact of the overall smarter graduate and not the quality of the education.

Conversely...I'm sure everyone here can relate but my daughter who graduated two years ago has a best friend who went to uga and graduated and is not very bright at all. Two years after graduating, she's still looking for meaningful employment even in this day and time.

I also know and am related to some extremely intelligent and successful uga grads. Their is a difference in being proud of Tech’s academic rigors and coming off as elitist and needlessly derogatory about the mutts in serious conversation.

That’s serious conversation though. When it comes to smack talk time everything is fair game. :D

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Depends who u talk to. I was told that paul was allowed more exceptions to use because he did well with apr and graduating kids but never exercised that leeway....
Not sure where you heard that. If he thought a player could make it in the classroom and graduate he didn't care what their scores were. Of course they needed to be good enough to play also.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Nothing would make me happier.

A few years ago I had an idea. You know how hotels often have a book of local attractions? Tech could invest in having a blurb about the institute in all the local attraction books. Maybe even offer periodic tours or have a five minute video playing on the in house cable channel about the oldest campus stadium, home of Heisman and references to Tech in classic movies.

Someone who knows marketing could have a better idea or better executed one but it is impossible to visit an Athens restaurant, theatre, club or motel without having a bulldog in your face. I would love it if it became impossible to pass through Atlanta without knowing that this is the home of Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It pains me to say this, but some of UGA)(g)'s programs are among the best in the country. The Speech Pathology program is probably the best, or at least Top 5.

The problem is, none of the Dawg players are taking any of these. They are majoring in ... UNDECIDED.
It's good to know they have at least one good program.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I also know and am related to some extremely intelligent and successful uga grads. Their is a difference in being proud of Tech’s academic rigors and coming off as elitist and needlessly derogatory about the mutts in serious conversation.

That’s serious conversation though. When it comes to smack talk time everything is fair game. :D
I have no problem with UGA grads. For the most part. It is their sidewalk fans that are obnoxious.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nothing would make me happier.

A few years ago I had an idea. You know how hotels often have a book of local attractions? Tech could invest in having a blurb about the institute in all the local attraction books. Maybe even offer periodic tours or have a five minute video playing on the in house cable channel about the oldest campus stadium, home of Heisman and references to Tech in classic movies.

Someone who knows marketing could have a better idea or better executed one but it is impossible to visit an Athens restaurant, theatre, club or motel without having a bulldog in your face. I would love it if it became impossible to pass through Atlanta without knowing that this is the home of Tech.

Yes. But we would have to euthanize a lot of mutts to make it happen :)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where you heard that. If he thought a player could make it in the classroom and graduate he didn't care what their scores were. Of course they needed to be good enough to play also.

CPJ was limited in exceptions when he first started coaching at GT. After several years of good academics and APR, he was told that the limits would be lifted and he could take as many as he wanted, but that the football staff was responsible for ensuring that all of the football players kept up with academics. I am not currently looking back at the dates so I might be wrong, but I believe that the one year that we had a class that had several players fall(after signing) out was close after the limitations were lifted. It is kind of hard to sign and keep players on campus if they don't have a shot at keeping up academically.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think he got tired of getting burned each time he "exercized that leeway" that he stopped altogether.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he got tired of getting burned each time he "exercized that leeway" that he stopped altogether.

Not sure. Who did he get burned by? As an example. Mills for instance was not an exception. He had solid grades to qualify. So just depends what you mean. All programs have kids that dont follow rules.

But I cant recall him ever being burned by academic casualties, heck its so few. I tend to believe who told me he just wouldnt bother. This person would have a good idea.

With that said I fully expect collins to stretch the boundary. I also expect apr to go down some and that 85 percent grad rate will too. I expect to see more roster turnover, and signing guys expecting attrition in spring. Its just what i think we see