GT Fans Keep Calm and get Woody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, you're gonna have to explain this one.

@jandrews , that's why you don't evaluate the db's simply based on the results of the play. You evaluate them on their technique, look at what they're actually trying to do, etc. There appeared to be some fundamentally wrong things they were doing. The former NFLer that used to post here, Leonard Larramore IIRC, used to tear his hair out over what he saw Speed teaching them. Speed isn't helping us.

If the rumors are correct, Woody is bringing AppSt's DB coach with him which makes the supposed news of Speed staying kinda weird.

Speed did coach in a 3-4 when he first arrived. I’m not going to argue technique I will take it for what it’s worth. I listened to many of the defensive breakdowns stating the corners played well on the ball and at times misaligned etc. take that with a grain of salt as well. I’m not evaluating purely on results. Let’s take a step back. When this year did our CBs perform really poorly? Just curious what your opinion is. It sounds like CNW was able to make moves with the defensive coaches. If so, he is the one who decided CJS was good enough to coach under him. This decision will fall on CNW. I don’t understand the negativity Tech fans have all the freaking time. I’ll wait and see what changes were made and the impact after the start of the season. Right now I like the direction of the defense.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
It's really odd that App St is hiring assistant coaches to fill positions that are going with Woody and GT is announcing D folks that aren't being retained before either school has officially announced Nate Woody's status. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Kelly has suggested the new DL coach will be an veteran experienced hire but not from App. St.

Still trying to wrap my head around Speed staying.

Reactions: Eli

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Kelly has suggested the new DL coach will be an veteran experienced hire but not from App. St.

Still trying to wrap my head around Speed staying.
Yeah, wonder why he isn't bringing the App St DL coach.... I was really hoping McCollum would be the only one staying. Maybe he will be moved to a different role.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Speed did coach in a 3-4 when he first arrived. I’m not going to argue technique I will take it for what it’s worth. I listened to many of the defensive breakdowns stating the corners played well on the ball and at times misaligned etc. take that with a grain of salt as well. I’m not evaluating purely on results. Let’s take a step back. When this year did our CBs perform really poorly? Just curious what your opinion is. It sounds like CNW was able to make moves with the defensive coaches. If so, he is the one who decided CJS was good enough to coach under him. This decision will fall on CNW. I don’t understand the negativity Tech fans have all the freaking time. I’ll wait and see what changes were made and the impact after the start of the season. Right now I like the direction of the defense.

I hear you, for the most part. I try not to be overly negative. It just so happens that, on this particular issue, I've been railing against our DB play for a few years. To 33's point, we're putting a lot on Speed/Pelton whereas a lot of the scheme/technique stuff could be put on Roof.

When did our CB's perform poorly? Well to me, at times, every game. Every single game. However, most of that is on what they were asked to do. Playing 25 yards off on 3rd on 5 then being unable to adequately tackle receivers is an easy example. IOW, they were put in poor position to succeed. Why? Partly Roof, partly Speed IMO.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, wonder why he isn't bringing the App St DL coach.... I was really hoping McCollum would be the only one staying. Maybe he will be moved to a different role.

FootballScoop also saying the AppSt DL coach isn't coming. That's totally weird considering he's supposedly still leaving AppSt. He played there and had been there for a long time. Seemed he'd be a perfect DC candidate for them.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear you, for the most part. I try not to be overly negative. It just so happens that, on this particular issue, I've been railing against our DB play for a few years. To 33's point, we're putting a lot on Speed/Pelton whereas a lot of the scheme/technique stuff could be put on Roof.

When did our CB's perform poorly? Well to me, at times, every game. Every single game. However, most of that is on what they were asked to do. Playing 25 yards off on 3rd on 5 then being unable to adequately tackle receivers is an easy example. IOW, they were put in poor position to succeed. Why? Partly Roof, partly Speed IMO.

I gotcha. Negativity wasn't directed to you. I hate to dance on someones grave but I appreciate the information on why you would like for him to be replaced. I agree I think some of it is to be blamed on Roof as well as Speed but until we see the announcement we don't know if he will be coaching LBs again or what is going on. My thought process comes in at that our best recruits lately have been DBs which he coached CBs. Recruits and players must like him as a coach. I was more critical of the DL just because I saw nothing of interest in a pass rush. They lacked any kind of moves to disengage from the OL. DL played a factory in the DBs performance and vice versa. I will say our CBs won us one game. Last play of the VT game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It was mentioned a while back that FSU was also trying to get Woody as DC. Seems they hired the MichSt DC today.

slugboy

Staff member
If we haven't announced yet, I don't know if we're having a formal press conference. Maybe we'll do one once we finish all the hires.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Speed didn't operate in a vacuum, i'm sure that Roof had him coach the db's to fit his defensive scheme. I actually thought our db play was solid this past season, in the game losing TD passes vs. Tenn, Miami, and Uva our guys were in postition, they were just too short to make a play on the ball.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Speed didn't operate in a vacuum, i'm sure that Roof had him coach the db's to fit his defensive scheme. I actually thought our db play was solid this past season, in the game losing TD passes vs. Tenn, Miami, and Uva our guys were in postition, they were just too short to make a play on the ball.

3-4 more inches in height for our corners would have made a significant difference even if everything else remained the same. Lacking height / length in coverage has hurt us.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
ACC seems to be reloading with coaches again. Will be interesting to see how Clemson and FSU look next year.
Is still impressive that Clemson continues to escape the poaching of their coaching stafff. At the end of every year I think to myself that his coordinators are going to leave for more money or a HC position but that has yet to happen. I guess Clemson keeps paying them more, especially considering the BIG MONEY Texas A&M just paid to get Norte Dame's DC. I guess when the Clemson coaches feel that a HC title at their "perceived right school" comes calling then they will forgo the raises from Clemson for opportunities to have a HC title.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
3-4 more inches in height for our corners would have made a significant difference even if everything else remained the same. Lacking height / length in coverage has hurt us.

I see a big improvement in CB height with our most recent recruits. I really like the idea of a gap attacking 3-4 defense. Allows us to not be dependent on a massive body in the middle which we have a hard time recruiting and we have some really athletic LBs. Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I think I disagree with you and @UgaBlows ... well, I agree that UGA blows but .. anyway, our CBs are fine height-wise. Austin is short(ish) but some of the best CBs are in that 5'10-5'11 range. I think Durham and Simmons are over 6'. Simmons is huge for a CB IMHO.

Not making plays = deficient ball skills

JMHO

Reactions: Eli

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If I was considered an “elite” coordinator, and was making millions at a very successful school, I’d wait for the “perfect” job before taking the reigns as a HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.