GT and Under Armour

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Might there be an incentive for Russell to up their game at it relates to uni's, at this point, to keep the contract? Or are they a dead man walking?

Maybe I'm just too much of an engineer and don't have any respect at all for perception, but why does it make any difference whatsoever if the uniform has an R, a swoosh, or an x made up of U and an A on top of each other? The value of the contract has an impact on the athletic department. The logo associated with the contract does not.

Do people on this forum actually believe that a Nike uniform makes a WR run faster? Do people actually believe that an Under Armor uniform make a lineman block better? I buy shoes and clothes based on price and comfort. In the last year for walking shoes I have purchased: Reebok, Nike, and Fila. I would not have purchased any of those brands if the shoes were not comfortable to walk in, and I did not purchase any of those shoes because of the brand. I don't have any understanding of why the logo should have ANY influence on my purchases.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I'm just too much of an engineer and don't have any respect at all for perception, but why does it make any difference whatsoever if the uniform has an R, a swoosh, or an x made up of U and an A on top of each other? The value of the contract has an impact on the athletic department. The logo associated with the contract does not.

Do people on this forum actually believe that a Nike uniform makes a WR run faster? Do people actually believe that an Under Armor uniform make a lineman block better? I buy shoes and clothes based on price and comfort. In the last year for walking shoes I have purchased: Reebok, Nike, and Fila. I would not have purchased any of those brands if the shoes were not comfortable to walk in, and I did not purchase any of those shoes because of the brand. I don't have any understanding of why the logo should have ANY influence on my purchases.

Yeah, I agree with your sentiment, but you've missed the point. It's not that the swoosh makes the WR run faster but that the R disincentivizes some faster-running WR's from coming to Tech. In basketball, AAU coaches might have contracts with apparel companies that affect their influence of school choices with the kids they coach. Russell isn't involved at all with AAU, iiuc.

In the long run, I'm not sure how big of a deal it really is, but it's in the recruiting discussion.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I agree with your sentiment, but you've missed the point. It's not that the swoosh makes the WR run faster but that the R disincentivizes some faster-running WR's from coming to Tech. In basketball, AAU coaches might have contracts with apparel companies that affect their influence of school choices with the kids they coach. Russell isn't involved at all with AAU, iiuc.

In the long run, I'm not sure how big of a deal it really is, but it's in the recruiting discussion.

I can see that. However, I find large apparel companies paying coaches of high school and middle school age kids to pressure the kids to go to a college solely for the uniform brand that the school uses without regard for the kid's athletic or academic future disgusting. I also find it disgusting for a school to sign a uniform contract expecting for that apparel company to pressure middle school age kid's coaches to pressure the kids to attend that school. We are extremely far away from school's student athletes competing against each other in athletics.

I can see that. However, I find large apparel companies paying coaches of high school and middle school age kids to pressure the kids to go to a college solely for the uniform brand that the school uses without regard for the kid's athletic or academic future disgusting. I also find it disgusting for a school to sign a uniform contract expecting for that apparel company to pressure middle school age kid's coaches to pressure the kids to attend that school. We are extremely far away from school's student athletes competing against each other in athletics.
I agree with you, but, whether it's other coaches, or other companies, or what, HS kids see Russell uniforms and are apparently turned off. Quite a few tweets were posted on these boards during basketball season by outside parties (who???) making disparaging remarks about Tech still using Russell. That does not help us, no matter what the source of those remarks may be.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, but, whether it's other coaches, or other companies, or what, HS kids see Russell uniforms and are apparently turned off. Quite a few tweets were posted on these boards during basketball season by outside parties (who???) making disparaging remarks about Tech still using Russell. That does not help us, no matter what the source of those remarks may be.

So we should be worried about negative comments that somebody made on twitter? Negative comments are prevalent on twitter. Getting concerned about them is not constructive in my opinion.

Also, if a high school athlete is more concerned about the logo on the uniform than his potential to succeed in athletics, and more importantly academics, I say good riddance.

So we should be worried about negative comments that somebody made on twitter? Negative comments are prevalent on twitter. Getting concerned about them is not constructive in my opinion.

Also, if a high school athlete is more concerned about the logo on the uniform than his potential to succeed in athletics, and more importantly academics, I say good riddance.
We should be worried about them if HS recruits read them. Who knows what influences them? I agree that is a petty concern by a HS athlete, but it is what it is, and you can't fight it by ignoring it.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree with you in principle, but if you want to win at the elite level, you're gonna have to "play the game" with some of these kids. I imagine CJP is already beating down the AA door over this...

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agreed with RonJohn on this until I walked down an aisle at WalMart. There it was, rack after rack of Russell stuff at knockdown prices.
Then I remembered my last foray to ****'s Sporting Goods, and all the Nike, Adidas and UA stuff nicely displayed. Not a stitch of Russell to be found.
I can't help but think things like this register with high school kids, even those with GT-caliber minds.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agreed with RonJohn on this until I walked down an aisle at WalMart. There it was, rack after rack of Russell stuff at knockdown prices.
Then I remembered my last foray to ****'s Sporting Goods, and all the Nike, Adidas and UA stuff nicely displayed. Not a stitch of Russell to be found.
I can't help but think things like this register with high school kids, even those with GT-caliber minds.

This is the biggest complaint I have. Russell is perceived as "cheap." Whether perception is reality is moot. Recruits see GT as having "inferior" uniforms. Ultimately, teams either have classic, traditional uniforms that have remained unchanged for decades, (Bama, Penn St, GaSo), or they go for broke with bold designs, (Oregon, MD), and recruits love either of those. At GT, we don't have a single uniform we can say is our traditional uniform, as we have changed so often over the years, and Russell hasn't done a good job at going bold, either. We've had some wins, ala our throwback uni in 2014 and the blue jersies from the orange bowl, but also we've had the bubble wrap debacle. I know we've had a long relationship with Russell, but when this contract is over, it's time to move on.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
As someone that has worked and works in the school system. Drop Russell immediately. If I were GT administration I'd sign with the Jordan brand and be a double win.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I've only bought 1 GT Russell Athletic item in my life and it's because the 'R' is not visible. I consider myself reasonably level-headed now and still won't get on that train.

I had "questionable" maturity at age 16-18, did alright at Tech, and turned out ok. If I were a football recruit and you asked me if uniform supplier dictated my decision, I'd say no. It's not good form. I don't care that it would have been a lie. But the 'R' absolutely would have played a factor.

Call me superficial. I'm ok with it. To me it's the same reason folks buy Cheerios, Tostitos, etc. and not the store brand with the same ingredients. Point is, marketing works at all levels. We don't recruit only worldly, sophisticated, 100% self-confident football players at age 16-18, so let's remove one hurdle that gets in the way.

Letting the 'R' influence one's decision doesn't mean they're not a good fit at GT.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
As someone that has worked and works in the school system. Drop Russell immediately. If I were GT administration I'd sign with the Jordan brand and be a double win.

I agree with getting rid of Russel immediately. I know we have a contract in place until 2018, but is it really that hard to get out of? Why wait when it is so obvious that it affects recruiting?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

Short answer. YES it does.

If you get a better recruit, that is faster, because of your affiliation to Nike or under armour, they will run faster than the lower grade recruit.

Not saying it has been proven that a recruit will pick because of brand, but there is a certain caché that these other brands have that Russell does not.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

Oops. Guess I should have read on.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I've always been a Nike guy, especially in Golf because of Tiger, so I might be a little biased but here's my 2 cents. As an upcoming Junior in high school based on what my classmates wear not only to school, but to their games, practices etc. Nike is definitely more popular. When I look at the players on Friday nights its all Nike everything, from gloves, cleats, towels, even Visors not only My team but the opposing team is usually decked out in all Nike. I guess this is my way of saying I hope Tech chooses Nike over UA. Nike is a more popular recognizable brand so I think going with Nike would help recruiting so much more than UA, and the whole Steph Curry white out shoes thing definitely killed the UA vipe. UA is kinda lame now because of it.