Georgia Tech Has The Best Band

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this is just like the game uniform debates. We don't all agree all the time with colors picked/worn but we acknowledge the appeal to the younger set. Just because I don't like the music in no way means I don't want the band to learn/play the song.
I'm just an OWW who happens to like lyrics I can understand. I mean give me some Glenn Miller to listen to when I'm sitting in my rocking chair and I'm happen as can be.:)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm among the old crowd, and I HATE that kind of music, but I agree 100% with you. I am sure that when I was in school, there was music that the older crowd didn't like either, but it worked for the students.
When i was in school(Not GT) Dixieland Jazz and acts like the Original Dixieland Jazz Band and Jelly Roll Morton were popular;)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It is really clear that its the fuddy duddy attitude some fans display seriously holds us back w/ sidewalk fans and the like

Interesting. When I go to the UT, Ole Miss or Alabama games, they play the fight songs, the standard cheering songs, etc. In fact, they are all pretty much along the same lines. And they don't seem to have a shortage of fans.

Is that what you mean by fuddy duddy?

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
In the past, the band would play something at key moments during the games. Now, the band seems to play pretty much only after we score or between the 3rd and 4th quarters. At times when I think they should be playing something to stir up at least the students, we get promos on the jumbotron or meaningless piped in music, which seldom fires up anybody.
Take that up with GT Athletics in your survey responses and communications. The media timeouts are scripted and the Band can't compete with the PA system. The Band owns everything between the plays, immediately after the Tech scores, and the 3rd qtr break. The drum majors call the game, and it's not an easy job...have to make reads like an option QB and take in information very quickly. Athletics marketing folks just not getting it with these 2 latest Athletics regimes has prevented the Band from really being able to take over the game like they used to.

I think we'll see a much different atmosphere Saturday night than we have for the whole season...night game whiteouts seem to bring out the best all around.

Take that up with GT Athletics in your survey responses and communications. The media timeouts are scripted and the Band can't compete with the PA system. The Band owns everything between the plays, immediately after the Tech scores, and the 3rd qtr break. The drum majors call the game, and it's not an easy job...have to make reads like an option QB and take in information very quickly. Athletics marketing folks just not getting it with these 2 latest Athletics regimes has prevented the Band from really being able to take over the game like they used to.

I think we'll see a much different atmosphere Saturday night than we have for the whole season...night game whiteouts seem to bring out the best all around.
I did include that in one of the two surveys I received this season.

I think this is just like the game uniform debates. We don't all agree all the time with colors picked/worn but we acknowledge the appeal to the younger set. Just because I don't like the music in no way means I don't want the band to learn/play the song.
I'm just an OWW who happens to like lyrics I can understand. I mean give me some Glenn Miller to listen to when I'm sitting in my rocking chair and I'm happen as can be.:)
I don't think this is like the uniform debate at all. The uniforms define the school (wrongly IMO with blue). The music is just a spirit mechanism.

This doesn't really relate to this thread, but I didn't want to open a new one, and this is something I just saw that really ticks me off. Have any of you seen this ad? I for one am totally disgusted by the image shown. I guess it's further proof that Tech marketing doesn't have a clue what our school colors really are. I mean a BLUE Ramblin' Wreck ??? This totally sucks -----

http://ramblinwreck.com/ramblin-wreck-weekend-ticket-offer/

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
I think they should do away with the band. Unless you played in it or have a kid in it you probably don't even know it's there. And any other sport or activity that doesn't pay for it's self.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they should do away with the band. Unless you played in it or have a kid in it you probably don't even know it's there. And any other sport or activity that doesn't pay for it's self.
You're gonna have to troll better than that.

This song is ripe for a band arrangement. Focus on resonating base is perfect for the deeper brass, and quick repetitive melodic percussion is ripe for improvisation for higher instruments. Add some changing cords and it's fun, high energy, and very easy to learn.

It just looks like a picture of the Wreck in the tunnel...It isn't blue, it's in a shadow.
https://thevirtualinstructor.com/color-theory-for-highlights-shadows.html

You can see the reflection of the field in the windshield too. I don't know, I really like that picture. Looks imposing. I can hear the engine revving up to lead the Jackets on to the field.
Sorry. That thing is BLUE. If it were just the result of shadows, then the gold flags would not look gold either. Plus why can you see a bright reflection of the field, but the area around the car is dark. It's definitely a doctored photo.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. That thing is BLUE. If it were just the result of shadows, then the gold flags would not look gold either. Plus why can you see a bright reflection of the field, but the area around the car is dark. It's definitely a doctored photo.
The flags are definitely muted from shade as well. You can see gold chrome up near the windshield where the light from the reflection is countering the shadow.

It's definitely a doctored photo.
Everything on the internet is ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The alumni and gtaa long term giving pool is formed when students the extent they have a positive and memorable experience.
Wife and son are copy writers for a company that conducts and analyzes surveys for alumni association.

Imo
Band is a net very positive.
2009 vt post game when the played ramblin wrek over and over as the goal posts came down hooked my wife on the band and gt football.

Let them build memories at bds!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Its used to harmonize a page and declutter. Using the navy header created that problem.
Yeah... I just looked and it definitely has a blue overlay. Here is the source image downloaded by the page. That's an amazing picture. As @Vespidae said, they had to use the blue overlay on the picture for design decisions, but I wish they hadn't.
GT-1st-_09012018_KarlLMoore-6.jpg

Sorry @Supersizethatorder-mutt , you were right =)