Georgia Tech Has The Best Band

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If it’s going to get the players pumped up and the students engaged, then play it. I personally like the song, and playing it in a night game.. Electric.

While you’re on YouTube, go watch how hype Mo Bamba got Penn State last weekend - I would do anything to get our students that involved.

To me it’s more about what players, recruits, and students like than what old season ticket holders who rarely even stand up out of their seats like. Sounds like we’ve got a few of the latter on here.
Exactly. Even if 80+% of the fanbase doesn't like the song, if the team/students/recruits like it, it creates a positive atmosphere for them. We need to be getting them engaged.

As far as the song, I think the band playing it would be nice, but difficult to recognize. When I go to games at other bigtime stadiums, they almost always blast this kind of music on 3rd down defense, that is when we need to play this on the speakers. Send the defense out ready to make a play and get the team/crowd into it.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm guessing the band will play it before kickoffs or when the defense comes out
Depending upon the length, it will likely come out after kickoffs/possession changes/coming out of timeouts (30-second called and media). If it can be fit in ~15sec they'll work it between defensive downs with preceding a 3rd down being the exception as that's always CHORDS. Look for them to play it early and often.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I guess I'm profiling myself, but I don't even know what that song is, but I think the band's response is pretty cool !
With all the ups and downs and personal emotions from this season, I've got to say I am really looking forward to Saturday ...
+1

Depending upon the length, it will likely come out after kickoffs/possession changes/coming out of timeouts (30-second called and media). If it can be fit in ~15sec they'll work it between defensive downs with preceding a 3rd down being the exception as that's always CHORDS. Look for them to play it early and often.
In the past, the band would play something at key moments during the games. Now, the band seems to play pretty much only after we score or between the 3rd and 4th quarters. At times when I think they should be playing something to stir up at least the students, we get promos on the jumbotron or meaningless piped in music, which seldom fires up anybody.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
To me it’s more about what players, recruits, and students like than what old season ticket holders who rarely even stand up out of their seats like. Sounds like we’ve got a few of the latter on here.

Players = 95
Recruits = 30
Students = 119
Total: 244

Old Season Ticket Holders Who Rarely Stand Up: 25,000

The defense rests.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
In terms of those that have or will have a direct impact on the game or games to come:

Players = 95
Recruits = 30
Students = 0
Old Season Ticket Holders Who Rarely Stand Up = 0

You might want to rethink that. I don't particularly like rap music, but ... the impact of those Old STH'rs is about $40M dollars a year. Try to run a football program without it. Just sayin.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
You might want to rethink that. I don't particularly like rap music, but ... the impact of those Old STH'rs is about $40M dollars a year. Try to run a football program without it. Just sayin.
Ok man - my point here is you can handle a song you don't like for a few minutes during a game for the positive effect that it will have on the athletes, recruits, and students. It enhances the atmosphere and gets players excited to play. They're the ones playing, not us - do more things to help give them an edge and less things to cater to the rest of the crowd.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I am sure the old timers from 1919's Nat'l Championship hated the jazzy music and the exposed ankles of female fans in the 50's when Dodd was coaching...

It is really clear that its the fuddy duddy attitude some fans display seriously holds us back w/ sidewalk fans and the like

Ok man - my point here is you can handle a song you don't like for a few minutes during a game for the positive effect that it will have on the athletes, recruits, and students. It enhances the atmosphere and gets players excited to play. They're the ones playing, not us - do more things to help give them an edge and less things to cater to the rest of the crowd.
I'm among the old crowd, and I HATE that kind of music, but I agree 100% with you. I am sure that when I was in school, there was music that the older crowd didn't like either, but it worked for the students.