Georgia State Post Game thread

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
A lot of griping going on for a 23-point win. That’s not an FCS team, but a G5 team that was hungry and fresh while we were a week removed from a physical win against a high quality opponent on another continent.

We held them to 12 points. I’m pretty sure we will win every game where we do this.

The refs were beyond horrible.

King’s INT made it look closer than it should have. He tried to force it. It was just a bad decision he needs to learn from.

Bottom line - three score wins against FBS teams should not be bitched about. The teams needs to watch the film and clean up what it can while recovering from being a bit banged up.

Go Jackets!!!

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Somebody explain how that Blackburn block was a hold. I dare you.
Sometimes people look at good technique, but are still judgy?!?

close call GIF

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So, a few things…..
  1. Their coaches studied film, they knew we had a good O line and run game, and they decided to crowd the LOS as their ONLY way to slow us down. It worked pretty well. Kudos to them.
  2. I don’t think our coaches didn’t want to show much out of our playbook so we didn’t show any sophisticated passing to defeat their strategy because we want Syracuse and others to be surprised
  3. As a result, we started out slow on offense. Once we got things under control, we had that stretch where we scored 3 TDs to create separation
  4. The refs…..stop and think about this. We were told on the broadcast repeatedly that they were SEC refs. How many SEC teams played yesterday? Almost all of them. Does anyone think we got anything other than the LAST available ref crew? In other words, the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Just my opinion, but I think that’s why the refs sucked so bad.
  5. While I too had some disappointment over how our defense played, the lack of sacks is NOT a valid complaint. They again designed their offense with very quick passes to avoid this. An NFL defense wouldn’t have gotten any sacks.
  6. Where I thought we showed poorly was one on one tackling. Last week we were almost perfect with that. This week, we weren’t terrible, but we missed more of those than I would have liked. When we did miss, a no gain play turned into a 15 yard gain. That single fact sustained a number of their drives. Were we fatigued? Were we just sloppy? Or is that just who we really are?
  7. The goal line stands were AWESOME. 👏 Everyone needs to remember how bad our run defense was last year and stop and think about how much improvement we have seen so far. Bowling Green and BC beat us last year precisely because we could never stop them on 3rd and 2. We did that repeatedly last night, and not just on the goal line.
  8. That kid Carrie showed promise as a RB. Like everyone, I hope our injuries aren’t too severe.
Overall, the improvement year over year remains a great pleasure. We may have had our expectations raised too high after the FSU game. Before that game many among us thought 6 wins would be tough with our schedule. After that game, apparently some of us thought we were ready to go to Charlotte. We appear right now to be somewhere between those two outcomes. But if we stumble to an 8-4 or 9-3 record, will that really be a disappointment?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The easiest prediction to make right now would be a Tech loss at Syracuse. Syracuse is a tough team, wanting to have a great season, and playing in a place that is tough on opponents. Tech, on the other hand, has expended a lot of physical and emotional energy over the last week. If Tech is able to cut out a win over Syracuse, and avoid injuries, we will be looking at a very special season.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just a few observations: Apparently the wifi/helmet com went down for a while, causing confusion on both sides. The number of penalties simply tells us the OL was not sharp and motivated like FSU. Typical trap game. Every team at evary school has them. We'll be ready for Syracuse. Better be. I watched their game and they are legit. Need a pass rush I haven't seen in both of our games.

slugboy

Staff member
I imagine State having game film on us (but not the reverse) plus all camp to prep had something to do with our slow start. Ended up being a nice comfortable win though. A little concerned about our injuries this early in the season - hopefully none are serious.
I think Sherrer coached his players well for this game. They knew how to read our screens. They put their hands up at the right times. They probably knew how to attack our OL—he coached against Geep all last year, too.

Our tackling wasn’t as good in this game, and it caused us to give up big plays. We didn’t set the edge as well—which gave them some big runs.

I saw Tatum make some good plays…Efford, too. We weren’t in the backfield as much, and that hurt.

Vellioux (sp?) is a good QB for Georgia State.

I was glad our goal line defense was so good. I’d rather we didn’t need it, but we should be happy with that

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
So, a few things…..
  1. Their coaches studied film, they knew we had a good O line and run game, and they decided to crowd the LOS as their ONLY way to slow us down. It worked pretty well. Kudos to them.
  2. I don’t think our coaches didn’t want to show much out of our playbook so we didn’t show any sophisticated passing to defeat their strategy because we want Syracuse and others to be surprised
  3. As a result, we started out slow on offense. Once we got things under control, we had that stretch where we scored 3 TDs to create separation
  4. The refs…..stop and think about this. We were told on the broadcast repeatedly that they were SEC refs. How many SEC teams played yesterday? Almost all of them. Does anyone think we got anything other than the LAST available ref crew? In other words, the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Just my opinion, but I think that’s why the refs sucked so bad.
  5. While I too had some disappointment over how our defense played, the lack of sacks is NOT a valid complaint. They again designed their offense with very quick passes to avoid this. An NFL defense wouldn’t have gotten any sacks.
  6. Where I thought we showed poorly was one on one tackling. Last week we were almost perfect with that. This week, we weren’t terrible, but we missed more of those than I would have liked. When we did miss, a no gain play turned into a 15 yard gain. That single fact sustained a number of their drives. Were we fatigued? Were we just sloppy? Or is that just who we really are?
  7. The goal line stands were AWESOME. 👏 Everyone needs to remember how bad our run defense was last year and stop and think about how much improvement we have seen so far. Bowling Green and BC beat us last year precisely because we could never stop them on 3rd and 2. We did that repeatedly last night, and not just on the goal line.
  8. That kid Carrie showed promise as a RB. Like everyone, I hope our injuries aren’t too severe.
Overall, the improvement year over year remains a great pleasure. We may have had our expectations raised too high after the FSU game. Before that game many among us thought 6 wins would be tough with our schedule. After that game, apparently some of us thought we were ready to go to Charlotte. We appear right now to be somewhere between those two outcomes. But if we stumble to an 8-4 or 9-3 record, will that really be a disappointment?
Excellnet post. Sums it up nicely. I'm just looking for another bowl game,

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Just a few observations: Apparently the wifi/helmet com went down for a while, causing confusion on both sides. The number of penalties simply tells us the OL was not sharp and motivated like FSU. Typical trap game. Every team at evary school has them. We'll be ready for Syracuse. Better be. I watched their game and they are legit. Need a pass rush I haven't seen in both of our games.
The good news is if we lose to syracuse we’re still above .500 😁

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
On #4, if the refs were just bad refs there would have been bad calls and blatant missed calls for both teams. These refs specifically targeted Tech with BS calls while at the same time completely ignoring clear penalties against State.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
You guys sounded great and stuck around til the end of the game. As usual, our fans should not take how good this student section is for granted. I would love to hear why the South endzone was not allowed into the front rows until State turned it over on downs on their opening drive. Pretty strange stuff.

I thought Ryan Cameron was good. I really like his "urging" 3rd down technique. A lot of the crowd would ignore the first request to get up and make noise but stand by the 2nd/3rd urging and get engaged. We've got a great home field advantage as long as the team continues to perform and people show up. Apologies for the nerd/engineering energy but let's get this flywheel rolling.
What if we were to conduct some statistical analyses of the impact of crowd noise relative to the performance of the athletes on the field and then provide the data to all the "nerd/engineering" students? We could even encourage them to take part in a longitudinal study by conducting actual game-day field trials at BDS on specific Saturdays on an annual basis.

Would that make a difference?

yellajacket20

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the game went pretty well, overall. I believe that Key wanted to make sure they were mentally in it after the win last week and all the hype that was generated. We were not as fresh as we could be (hence the lack of push from the O and D lines), but we could still out-athlete them. I think this was evident with the sense of urgency the line played with when GSU had goal-to-go throughout the game.

Carrie and Alexander looked good. Hope Alexander doesn't have anything major with the shoulder. We have tons of talent at WR and looking forward to seeing Blackburn, Leary and Lane get more opportunities.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Needless to say he got back from the game very late last night. Have not read through posts in this thread yet. I am sure that I will agree with most points being made as I read through this thread later today.

But a synopsis of my thoughts during the game.
I was both disappointed and very happy with the defense. Gave up too many yards, but bowed up big time in the go line defense!

Offensively I never felt like we dominated. Yes I know we racked up some yards, just didn't feel like we dominated like I was hoping we would.

A smart fella told me during halftime, and a slight paraphrase, We're like a cat playing with our prey. Then later on told me a problem with that is that sometimes you choke on your prey if you play with it too long. Thankfully we didn't choke! 🙂

We have lots that we have to clean up. You know darn well that Coach Key will be harping on that and rightfully so.

Most importantly, we got the victory!
We need to work on before next week's game, good news is we are undefeated.

Did Chad Alexander hurt his shoulder or something? So I'm leave the field look like he was hanging one arm down and it didn't look good.
Anthony Carrie had some speed!!!
On Rutherford's touchdown reception, only thing I was thinking is "don't over throw the 🏈".

Glad we beat the spread 😁

Last edited: