Georgia State Post Game thread

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
A few other takeaways-
* Great energized crowd, unlike I’ve seen in a long time for an evening game. Most stayed thru the 4th Q.
* #72 Franklin came out with an injury in the 4th Q. He came out of the tent with a large wrap around his R elbow. Hope it’s nothing long term.
* The wifi connectivity in the lower section of the stadium was terrible. Not hopeful for the remainder of the season.
* there were a lot of recruits there. Good for them to experience the energy of the event

All for now! THWg

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My first comment was broken collar bone, but then I was saying hopefully a stinger. Collar bone break is extremely painful. I think he'd be down longer. Hopefully stinger.

Yeah, he got up and ran off grimacing and holding his shoulder. Looked more like a stinger. Broken collarbone you'd expect a guy to stay down and get helped off. But who knows...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They came in fresh and eager to play. We looked a little tired. Took some time to get the ball rolling. But we're a really tough team. The holding calls were ridiculous, especially since GSU got away with some really egregious stuff. Crappy SEC officiating crew.

We're 2-0 for the first time since 2016. Feels gooood. Let's get ready for 'cuse!
My take exactly.

The mental errors, holding -the legitimate ones, illegal procedure, letting the opposing quarterback slip away from sacks, and missing tackles, all were due to a team not quite as rested as we were last week. People poo-poo it but overseas travel and jet lag have an effect, even if subtle. This team needs some time off.

But, rejoice that they did not have a let down, they did not take G State for granted, and they did exactly what they were expected to do.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We looked pretty pedestrian. I'm more concerned with how many injuries we piled up against a team we should be physically dominating.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ugly game. Can’t imagine Key and staff will be happy with much. We scored on a short field on a weird fumble, and a busted coverage. They decided to do the dumbest things possible in the red zone. This game could’ve been a 1 score game easily. We need D linemen asap and line backers that can run laterally. OL played their worst game in a while too. Nice to win and play poorly though. We’d lose this game in years past. Going to be a fight next week. Go jackets!
Hope Key says encouraging things to this team. They are tired.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Weird game. Never felt like we weren’t going to win but also never felt like we completely knocked them out. I’ll take it though.
I thought Georgia State was in pretty good shape and competitive until they gave up the fourth down TD right before the half and then Tech got the ball at the start of the third quarter and drove it in for a TD. That was the game. Tech was not sharp but they got a workmanlike win and did what they had to do to win. Can't complain about 35 points and nearly 500 yards total offense.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Just to throw this out there:
Cuse was up 17-16 in the 3rd before they went on a run against Ohio. Call was down 13-7 to UC Davis then ran a punt back in the second. Pitt was up 24-21 before they started to pull away. And of course nc state in their game.
Not saying we shouldn’t have played better or that some people could be right and we didn’t put them away like we should. Just saying that more than ever, the little guys can hang for a while.
I’m just happy to get a W without any major(hopefully) injuries and pretty much controlled it from the half on.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Good win in a trap game. They hit us in the mouth in the 1st Qtr. They played close to LOS on D taking away some of our run potential, making King pass to beat them, and he did. Good game for King. I was disappointed in our D. We had ZERO sacks and very few TFL.
Must get D fixed before next week. I watched SYracuse game. They have a god O. Ohio ran on them however. Just my yhoughts.

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
I like the new PA guy, the way he built up third downs was definitely different but I thought it really brought the energy regardless. Student section as always was great. I ended up making a pact with a guy behind me to start “DEFENSE [STOMP STOMP] DEFENSE” chants every 1st and 2nd down and it caught on throughout the rest of the section for the most part.

But otherwise the gameday experience was really brought down by the total mismanagement of the block system. They appear to have overbooked, sent incorrect wristbands, and instructed security to antagonize anyone trying to get into their assigned section.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Happy with the win and team. We have sat thru too many games like this that we lose. It’s been an emotional 10 days for the boys and us fans so we need a mental rest and then move on to Syracuse. We saw their QB last year so unlike GSU we have film. I think we’ll be ready after a brief mental rest.

JACKET26

Georgia Tech Fan
Haynes brothers are both running and honestly playing a little too much to where I worry we don’t have the depth if they get injured or just don’t have it period which is why they’re doing everything.

With that said, lots of sloppiness on defense and some unforced calls (which we had some bad calls but not all) that we have to clean up and other teams would take advantage of. Happy we won but it was sloppy and we shouldn’t be thrilled about it

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I imagine State having game film on us (but not the reverse) plus all camp to prep had something to do with our slow start. Ended up being a nice comfortable win though. A little concerned about our injuries this early in the season - hopefully none are serious.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They came in fresh and eager to play. We looked a little tired. Took some time to get the ball rolling. But we're a really tough team. The holding calls were ridiculous, especially since GSU got away with some really egregious stuff. Crappy SEC officiating crew.

We're 2-0 for the first time since 2016. Feels gooood. Let's get ready for 'cuse!
I agree. We looked a little tired. Maybe we should have backed off a day of full pads. Just a trip like that will take it out of you. Who knows, we won. The game was never really in doubt, but it was sloppy. The DL looked a step slow to me and the OL got called for what, 6-7 holds? If those were legit holds it could have been from being a step slow as well. I have no doubt that the FSU game took its toll on our OL/DL from a stamina standpoint. The O was stopping and starting due to the miscues but in the end racked up some nice numbers. That alone says something. State's D took away the inside run and forced us to be two-dimensional and we burned them wide and deep.

DB played well, tackled very well on the whole. Their QB was well schooled and got the ball off quickly to WR running routes that are darned hard to defend - slants, smokes, etc. That middle zone was open all night though. DL was OK but not near last week. still, State didn't gain a whole lot on the ground. Their passing scheme limited the way we used our safeties to play the run and get penetration. Did I hear that was Jim Chaney as their OC? If so, 'nuff said.

Good win. Give 'em some rest this week, CBK.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
A few other takeaways-
* Great energized crowd, unlike I’ve seen in a long time for an evening game. Most stayed thru the 4th Q.
* #72 Franklin came out with an injury in the 4th Q. He came out of the tent with a large wrap around his R elbow. Hope it’s nothing long term.
* The wifi connectivity in the lower section of the stadium was terrible. Not hopeful for the remainder of the season.
* there were a lot of recruits there. Good for them to experience the energy of the event

All for now! THWg
Part Deux
* New PA guy was ordinary, not outstanding. Hopefully he improves, along with the team.
* on the opening kickoff, Birr likely saved a TD but it was a hard collision with the runner. Likely got his ‘bell rung’ and on the sideline he was bent over for a little while. He recovered after that . He was kicking 55-60 yard FGs during halftime.

That game could have turned out closer or another bowling green game with last year’s team. But not this year, the whole team vibe this year just feels different. Simply put, they are a better team than last year.

Enjoy this over the holiday weekend, and then get ready for the next game!

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Kinda the ideal Swarm game: covered, won going away, but gave us lots to complain about.

I think teams will increasingly realize they can’t sell out against the run and that’ll give the offense good opportunities all season long.

Weird game for the defense since the tackling seemed much improved inside the ten but seemed to vanish for the rest of the drives. Still, beats the crap out of BC or BG games.