Georgia State Post Game thread

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys sounded great and stuck around til the end of the game. As usual, our fans should not take how good this student section is for granted. I would love to hear why the South endzone was not allowed into the front rows until State turned it over on downs on their opening drive. Pretty strange stuff.
This was so strange...i saw group after group of Students turned away ftom the empty sections of the South stands ... crazy to beg Students to come and then run them off

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple thoughts about GSU. Dell McGee was probably a great hire. He knows Georgia football, had experience with a top football program (ick) and seems to be somewhat old school like Key in some ways. They obviously had a great game plan for us.

Also with the portal being a great equalizer, GSU can get a 4star qb like Veilleux and not have to wait to build a program. Bringing in experience right away like Kenyata who had a great game also helps elevate a program quickly.

Time will tell but this tougher than expected win may not have been that bad.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Have to clean up the penalties. Some were very questionable holding calls, especially since it could be called on every play.
We gave up too much space on those quick bubble screens and missed some tackles in space. GSU got the ball out quick and we still played secondary 10 yards off the LOS which gave them some easy completions. At times I thought Ted Roof was back. Glad they didn't bust a big play. Strategy must have been to avoid that from happening but never really got to the qb either. Good Strategy on their part.
Just glad to have gotten the win but there are things to clean up.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Shoutout to Tatum and Burrell both making some good plays on D. I think GSU is probably better than people expected and has a number of advantages specifically against Tech, having multiple former players and coaches on their sideline, having gamefilm vs none for us, and being probably the biggest opportunity of their season. On top of that we played poorly and had the refs against us, and yet we still won handily. Probably a better outcome than a 60-0 type game if we are being honest, it gave us a lot to work on that wouldn't be obvious in a total blowout.

The only thing I was somewhat disappointed in was that we didn't pull Haynes King earlier - he should have been out of the game already when he took that targeting shot to the back of the head, that was an unnecessary risk and I would have like to see Pyron get some actual playing time and not just a few plays in the final minutes to run out the clock.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The easiest prediction to make right now would be a Tech loss at Syracuse. Syracuse is a tough team, wanting to have a great season, and playing in a place that is tough on opponents. Tech, on the other hand, has expended a lot of physical and emotional energy over the last week. If Tech is able to cut out a win over Syracuse, and avoid injuries, we will be looking at a very special season.

explain this to me like I’m 4

why would the easy prediction be a GT loss to the Cuse?

slugboy

Staff member
We hear a lot about Key learning from Saban. Belichick has talked about Key on air, and I saw Key actively pursue Belichick’s “middle 8” strategy yesterday. He ran the four minute offense at the end of the second, and went for it on fourth and goal. Then, we marched down to start the third. That gave our defense about a half hour of rest—4 minutes to end the second + 20 minutes of halftime + 4 minutes to start the third. The defense was on the field for about 15 seconds during that time, when Ga State took a knee to end the half. About 15 points were tied to that.

SituationalGeorgia StateGeorgia Tech
Successful Plays (EPA > 0)29 (46%)28 (46%)
  When Passing16 (47%)16 (55%)
  When Rushing13 (45%)12 (38%)
  On Standard Downs24 (51%)17 (41%)
  On Passing Downs5 (31%)11 (55%)
  On Early Downs23 (49%)21 (42%)
  On Late Downs6 (38%)7 (64%)
  During "Middle 8"3 (33%)9 (60%)
Early Downs4750
  First Downs Created12 (26%)14 (28%)
  EPA1.615.59
  EPA/Play0.030.11
  Passes24 (51%)23 (46%)
  Rushes23 (49%)27 (54%)
  Successful Passes (Rate)13 (54%)14 (61%)
  Successful Rushes (Rate)10 (43%)7 (26%)
"Middle 8" Plays915
  EPA-2.3714.52
  EPA/play-0.260.97
  Passes6 (67%)4 (27%)
  Rushes3 (33%)11 (73%)
  Successful Passes (Rate)1 (17%)3 (75%)
  Successful Rushes (Rate)2 (67%)6 (55%)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It’s only week one. Key said we were banged up going into this game, but I didn’t notice anyone missing from action. The chunk plays up the middle were harder to come by last night. It’s easy to get spoiled by running all over FSU the week before.

As for this old guy, I’m still trying to learn the 2024 jersey numbers. Carrie isn’t returning punts, as someone pointed out. That’s Shelly from the defense.

Wes and Loogie were very complimentary of our secondary, both on coverage and tackling in space. Burrell stood out.

It’s a long season. Wise coach once said “every win makes the next game even bigger.” Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Because Tech fans being Tech fans we always expect the team to have a let down and Syracuse is as good a place as any for that to happen. And we are tired and banged up from the last two games. But a win means we are good enough that all conditions don’t have to be perfect for us to win.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I think people need to relax with the Debby downer stuff. Definitely wasn’t an amazing game by us. But GSU with only having a head coach for 4 months… looked much better than I thought they would.

But like. Just last year we got destroyed by Bowling Green. This year we beat the spread of our G5 opponent and midway through the third we were all calling to put in Pyron.

See ya next week for Cuse!
This. We won handily, and when we gave up plays we rebounded.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Because Tech fans being Tech fans we always expect the team to have a let down and Syracuse is as good a place as any for that to happen. And we are tired and banged up from the last two games. But a win means we are good enough that all conditions don’t have to be perfect for us to win.
The dome means no bad weather so that’s a good thing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to give props to Wes Durham, he‘s always great but last night his energy made him sound like how he was back in his radio years at some points. He was terrific.
Agree but I think a lot of us got tired of Luginbill’s voice by the 3rd quarter. Even Wes had to get back to the subject at hand a few times.

slugboy

Staff member
The easiest prediction to make right now would be a Tech loss at Syracuse. Syracuse is a tough team, wanting to have a great season, and playing in a place that is tough on opponents. Tech, on the other hand, has expended a lot of physical and emotional energy over the last week. If Tech is able to cut out a win over Syracuse, and avoid injuries, we will be looking at a very special season.
Ohio RAN on Syracuse. Georgia State sold out against the run on us. Syracuse’s defense did not look good.

First, because we got pessimism here in the ATL

sad donkey GIF

In the second half, McCord aired it out a bit. It was Ohio, but his second half looked really good. They got 354 yards in the air, but just 135 on the ground. The thing to keep an eye on is a track meet breaking out, and both sides scoring.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I watched the replay. Even the announcers were puzzled. Great win.
Looks like everyone will exploit the short passing game. It’s hard to defend for almost every defense and it’s hard to get to the QB.

If a DC ever figures how to deal with the short passing game, he'll be a legend.

Our pass rush wasn't terrible, necessarily, but the ball was gone in under 2-3 seconds. That's tough. And this won't be the last time we see it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ohio RAN on Syracuse. Georgia State sold out against the run on us. Syracuse’s defense did not look good.

First, because we got pessimism here in the ATL

sad donkey GIF

In the second half, McCord aired it out a bit. It was Ohio, but his second half looked really good. They got 354 yards in the air, but just 135 on the ground. The thing to keep an eye on is a track meet breaking out, and both sides scoring.
I was thinking the same thing. Hope Tech can control the game but it could turn out to be a 37-34 game with last possession winning.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If a DC ever figures how to deal with the short passing game, he'll be a legend.

Our pass rush wasn't terrible, necessarily, but the ball was gone in under 2-3 seconds. That's tough. And this won't be the last time we see it.
Lest we forget, CPJ’s flexbone was essentially a short passing game using
A-backs. The difference now is having a more credible down field threat to keep the defense from cheating up on every play.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lest we forget, CPJ’s flexbone was essentially a short passing game using
A-backs. The difference now is having a more credible down field threat to keep the defense from cheating up on every play.

Pretty sure the broadcast made this exact point last night. Basically said, as you're alluding to, that our offense is a variation of the option.

I loved CPJ and I love what we're doing now. But I dont understand why folks don't see what we're currently doing as gimmicky like they did with CPJ's stuff.