Georgia State Post Game thread

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I like the new PA guy, the way he built up third downs was definitely different but I thought it really brought the energy regardless. Student section as always was great. I ended up making a pact with a guy behind me to start “DEFENSE [STOMP STOMP] DEFENSE” chants every 1st and 2nd down and it caught on throughout the rest of the section for the most part.

But otherwise the gameday experience was really brought down by the total mismanagement of the block system. They appear to have overbooked, sent incorrect wristbands, and instructed security to antagonize anyone trying to get into their assigned section.
You guys sounded great and stuck around til the end of the game. As usual, our fans should not take how good this student section is for granted. I would love to hear why the South endzone was not allowed into the front rows until State turned it over on downs on their opening drive. Pretty strange stuff.

I thought Ryan Cameron was good. I really like his "urging" 3rd down technique. A lot of the crowd would ignore the first request to get up and make noise but stand by the 2nd/3rd urging and get engaged. We've got a great home field advantage as long as the team continues to perform and people show up. Apologies for the nerd/engineering energy but let's get this flywheel rolling.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
My overall thoughts on the game:

1. Refs were bad. Really bad. I’m not really sure what else to say here. I mean, that was some of the most ticks tack calls against GT and nothing against GSU. Literally on the Leo Blackburn “Holding” call, one zebra threw his flag 10 seconds after the others. No clue what he was doing.

2. GSU is a smaller team. Their DL and OL looked much smaller than us. Similar to the CPJ GT years, when you aren’t stronger, just out run the damn guy. And that’s what they did, they just tired us out. Their DL and OL are not a typical P4 line. They used the lateral space of the field much more effectively because they HAD to with the size mismatch. It’s hard to train/prep for a school that doesn’t fit the mold like you’d expect. You have to dedicate specific time for GSU, not just general prep.

3. I hate all the pre snap cutesy stuff. Felt like between that and using hand signs, our boys had no clue what was happening at times. Twice in the second half we almost had delay of game penalties because of it. Maybe Faulkner was just trying out new plays? Idk. Didn’t like it.

4. We are coming off a Ireland game. Prep is gonna be rough. So I’m not surprised guys looked tired. Hopefully that doesn’t last.

Overall it was a good game. Defense bended but never broke. Offense built momentum. Felt closer than it was/should’ve been, but I’ll take covering the spread all day.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
First off hat tip to GSU. I think they are going to do really well in the Sun Belt.

Second, a win is a win and I like it a lot. A three score win is even better.

Third, I felt we played very conservatively, especially on Defense. I don't recall a single blitz the entire game, and the O stayed fairly vanilla, especially early in the first half, and then again after we had opened up the lead.

Fourth, it was good to see Carrie and Pyron get a bit of playing time on that last drive. Also Carrie looks like a good punt returner.

Fifth, the refs tucked and did not call the game evenly. They said, we overcame the adversity and still won by 3 scores, I'll take it. It felt like everytime that we had a big play on the ground or on defense we got smacked with a penalty.

Sixth, find a way to survive in Syracuse and then let's see about putting VMI to bed getting guys rested up.

Seventh, D played very well, especially in the red zone. Definitely the unsung heros of the game.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
First off hat tip to GSU. I think they are going to do really well in the Sun Belt.

Second, a win is a win and I like it a lot. A three score win is even better.

Third, I felt we played very conservatively, especially on Defense. I don't recall a single blitz the entire game, and the O stayed fairly vanilla, especially early in the first half, and then again after we had opened up the lead.

Fourth, it was good to see Carrie and Pyron get a bit of playing time on that last drive. Also Carrie looks like a good punt returner.

Fifth, the refs tucked and did not call the game evenly. They said, we overcame the adversity and still won by 3 scores, I'll take it. It felt like everytime that we had a big play on the ground or on defense we got smacked with a penalty.

Sixth, find a way to survive in Syracuse and then let's see about putting VMI to bed getting guys rested up.

Seventh, D played very well, especially in the red zone. Definitely the unsung heros of the game.
Yes I didn’t feel like we got much pressure on the State QBs either but seemed like Santucci dared them to complete difficult throws into tight coverage and they didn’t pass the test. Their WRs had a couple bad drops too but this is why they are playing G5 ball and not P4. Big difference from the dummy/disguised blitzes against DJU. I like that we tailor our gameplans to our opponents now. Full faith in this team to do some great things this season. Great to see you today and hope we can get together for the VMI game in a couple Saturdays :)

That 4 down stop on the goal line on the initial drive was everything. I wonder how different this game looks if State pokes that across the goalline.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The only things I can add is
1. Singleton on the reverse showed NFL speed
2. Haynes King is damn fast
3. The students showed up big time. Almost,all were,wearing white.. Very encouraging ---this could be big towards Himecoming and miami .
The only thing better than 2-0 is 3-0

Last edited:

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think people need to relax with the Debby downer stuff. Definitely wasn’t an amazing game by us. But GSU with only having a head coach for 4 months… looked much better than I thought they would.

But like. Just last year we got destroyed by Bowling Green. This year we beat the spread of our G5 opponent and midway through the third we were all calling to put in Pyron.

See ya next week for Cuse!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think people need to relax with the Debby downer stuff. Definitely wasn’t an amazing game by us. But GSU with only having a head coach for 4 months… looked much better than I thought they would.

But like. Just last year we got destroyed by Bowling Green. This year we beat the spread of our G5 opponent and midway through the third we were all calling to put in Pyron.

Right on! We didn’t play anywhere near our best and still throttled GSU and beat a pretty healthy spread. Last year we lost to BGSU and yet in a classic trap game if there ever was one our guys found ways to put up a ton of yards and a bunch of points while keeping the other team from scoring for a significant chunk of the game. And that’s in spite of GSU having game film. In spite of GSU having a QB on their roster who was in our QB room all last year. In spite of having a DC who was in our coaches meetings all last year.

I am not claiming this was a great game by the Jackets. I think there’s a ton of stuff to clean up on both sides of the ball. I think our defensive coaches will only get better at working together as the season progresses just like our offensive staff did last season. We didn’t get pressure on their QB. We had some issues with consistency from down to down and possession to possession. We committed too many penalties (though I think several were complete BS but others were legit). But we WON THE GAME and we didn’t even have to expose Haynes King to a lot of physical punishment running the ball a lot. Anyone think having a healthy and not so banged up Haynes King is a big deal for the Syracuse game? I sure think it’s great. So even though it wasn’t our best game I am thrilled with the win. The goal is to be 2-0 at this point. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED JACKETS WAY TO GO!!!!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

GSU didn't play well in this game. Neither did we. The score was about what was expected in that scenario. Nothing wrong with admitting it wasn't the best day, especially when you pulled out the win anyways. Just gotta clean it up before the better teams on our schedule come rolling through.

BurdellJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They say you improve the most between your first and second game, but seems like we regressed. Hate saying that when we beat the spread, but D gave up too many yards between the 20s. State left 6 point on board with TD drop and 2 pt drop. Then we need trick reverse play and broken coverage by state to create separation. Just tempered my season’s expectations. Now maybe we kept it vanilla to save plays for rest of season, so time will tell there. Just hoping this game was the fluke and not FSU when we play cuse next week.
Good God in heaven. We covered and won by 3 tds. Can't we just "Be Happy" for 48 hours without doom and gloom?

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Like many mentioned we looked tired, but we were able to fight through it.
- King was smart (minus pick) and accurate.
- We were able to connect on some deeper shots and hopefully this keeps defenses from stacking the box.
- Oline was more sloppy but still allowed us ran the ball well and keep King clean.
- Defense took some punches today, but showed up when needed.
- Goal line defense was really good. This is a drastic improvement.
- Secondary seems to be the strength on defense. I am happy with the interior line play, but at some point we have got to get to the QB.
- Crowd seemed engaged on TV and looked like a good turn out.
- Again overall we played well enough to beat the spread. Our team looks a little gassed. Hopefully they get a little rest this week. The good news with a game like this is noticing there were enough mistakes to see you aren’t invincible. Fix the mistakes and let’s put a beating on Syracuse.

patrickr21

Georgia Tech Fan
Fun game!

• Wow! Those students showing up and staying the entire game! What have the admin and Brent Key done to change student participation? Even in PJ’s great years I didn’t see that type student support.
  • I like the new PA guy. I thought he did a great job getting the fans up for 3rd downs. Kind of wish more of fans just knew instead of being prompted but whatever.
  • Crowd energy seemed good and a lot of White in the stands. Key is getting folks excited about the program.
  • I hope Alexander’s injury isn’t serious, but it looked bad him coming off the field. Anyone see if Cooley was on crutches on anything? We need more than 2 healthy RBs.
  • I’ll take an ugly win over GSU. I hope we can fix some issues and get more consistent on offense and defense, but I’m not going to worry. I’m going to enjoy the win.
  • What was up with all the passes batted down from HK? Was GSU lucky or have they noticed some tendency and knew getting hands up is the best way to challenge his throws? I hope there is something we can adjust otherwise we are going to see this a lot! Maybe they figured he is too fast too fast to sack so they need to disrupt the throwing lanes.

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
We completed the highest percentage of passes that I can ever remember…

I watched some of VPISU, NC State and Syracuse. Those teams looked 🤮…Miami however looks legit.

/
Yeah but 90% were behind the line and gained almost nothing because GSU was fast and could trap them at sideline. Deep throws were open all night but we only took a few

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Good God in heaven. We covered and won by 3 tds. Can't we just "Be Happy" for 48 hours without doom and gloom?
I'm with you we are 2-0. Really the only I am disappointed in is some of the people not happy with a win and only look at things to complain about a win. I make a suggestion they go back and watch some games that the past (head coach) coached. When was the last time our defense had a couple of goal lines stands. People this is football you don't play perfect 12 games; you win some because you are better than the team you played(Georgia State), you win some because your coaching staff did a great job scouting you opponent (FSU), and then you win some because of luck.
Be happy with a win and good players and coaches we have and people like Angel Cabrera as president and J Batt as our AD.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Based on stats, I’m thinking all of Kings incompletions were passes batted down at line of scrimmage.
Thinking Tech didn’t blitz much, lots of 3,4 rush
Was nice game, Boyd looking good at TE. As were all the other TE’s making plays

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
It felt like the offensive game plan was vanilla on purpose. Not wanting to show too much leg in a game we should win. Efficient, effective, but plain (kinda like the ice cream choices of some teammates who won't be called by name to avoid embarrassment after a win 😋)

On the road at Cuse is not an easy ask. Win there and the expectations for the season might get ridiculous.