Georgia State Post Game thread

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agree. I didn’t have a problem with Luginbill yesterday at all. He was complimentary of Tech and injected some self-deprecating humor when he and Wes talked in detail about an interception he threw while here.
Luginbill was dropped into a situation created by BL. He could be a lot more bitter about his time at GT. He couldn't have known what was going on when he came as a transfer. I don't sense he has any animosity toward Tech and seems to embrace the fact he once played here.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
As someone who was at the Oregon game yesterday and saw a “top 3” team struggle to put away an FCS team, I think our game went pretty well.
I just looked at Oregon's game stats. How do you put up nearly 500 yards of offense, force 7 punts, and only beat an FCS team by 10?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like the new PA guy, the way he built up third downs was definitely different but I thought it really brought the energy regardless. Student section as always was great. I ended up making a pact with a guy behind me to start “DEFENSE [STOMP STOMP] DEFENSE” chants every 1st and 2nd down and it caught on throughout the rest of the section for the most part.

But otherwise the gameday experience was really brought down by the total mismanagement of the block system. They appear to have overbooked, sent incorrect wristbands, and instructed security to antagonize anyone trying to get into their assigned section.

Disagree about the announcer. He speaks way too fast. You can hear him but not understand a lot of what he says. I was ok with the third down stuff but even his intro of the starters was hard to understand. He needs to slow down.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Disagree about the announcer. He speaks way too fast. You can hear him but not understand a lot of what he says. I was ok with the third down stuff but even his intro of the starters was hard to understand. He needs to slow down.
Huh. Interesting. I didn’t have a problem BUT I was also not paying close attention the whole time. Also every person’s experience is their own and if he spoke so fast that you had trouble understanding then I’m with you that he may need to slow it down a bit.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I just looked at Oregon's game stats. How do you put up nearly 500 yards of offense, force 7 punts, and only beat an FCS team by 10?
Check Dillon Gabriel's statline 🤣 only 24 points off that - a lot of dinks and dumps apparently.

What were people's thoughts on CBK/CBF's decision to go for it on 4th and goal at the end of the first half? It worked out but man I hated that call because you don't even get the field position consolation prize in that situation if you fail the conversion.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Most fans want a perfect team in September. I want us to peak in November or later.

Yes, that is a factor, too. The 2014 team, pretty much wildly considered our best or second best team since 1990, barely beat GASO in the second or third game of the season. By November, we probably had the best offensive line in the country.

Also, another factor that I believe was a bigger deal than most want to give credit is the fact that GSU had Coach Sherrer on defense. He saw Buster’s offense every day last season. I’m sure that was helpful to game plan all offseason for the opener.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Fun game!

• Wow! Those students showing up and staying the entire game! What have the admin and Brent Key done to change student participation? Even in PJ’s great years I didn’t see that type student support.
  • I like the new PA guy. I thought he did a great job getting the fans up for 3rd downs. Kind of wish more of fans just knew instead of being prompted but whatever.
  • Crowd energy seemed good and a lot of White in the stands. Key is getting folks excited about the program.
  • I hope Alexander’s injury isn’t serious, but it looked bad him coming off the field. Anyone see if Cooley was on crutches on anything? We need more than 2 healthy RBs.
  • I’ll take an ugly win over GSU. I hope we can fix some issues and get more consistent on offense and defense, but I’m not going to worry. I’m going to enjoy the win.
  • What was up with all the passes batted down from HK? Was GSU lucky or have they noticed some tendency and knew getting hands up is the best way to challenge his throws? I hope there is something we can adjust otherwise we are going to see this a lot! Maybe they figured he is too fast too fast to sack so they need to disrupt the throwing lanes.

I do not believe we have a RB issue with J Haynes healthy. There has not been much separation among Cooley (health situation unknown), Alexander (health condition unknown), Carrie, Dickens, Gordon, and perhaps freshman Maddox. Any two of them could adequately back up J Haynes as we would likely only need a dozen or less carries.. It gets drastically different without J Haynes and having all the backups healthy does not fix that issue..

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
They failed multiple 4th down conversions, had 2 turnovers on long drives, and missed a field goal. lot of yards left of the field for 0 points

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I do not believe we have a RB issue with J Haynes healthy. There has not been much separation among Cooley (health situation unknown), Alexander (health condition unknown), Carrie, Dickens, Gordon, and perhaps freshman Maddox. Any two of them could adequately back up J Haynes as we would likely only need a dozen or less carries.. It gets drastically different without J Haynes and having all the backups healthy does not fix that issue..
Let's hope we never have to test the hypothesis. There's a reason why the number 3 player is where he is.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that was at the game see Franklin after he came out of the tent following his injury? He is our QB on the offensive line and a huge blow to what Buster wants to do next week if he can't go. It didn't look good when he went down on tv but hoping it was just temporary thing to his elbow

Franklin came back in and finished the game

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I agree. He was good at times, but most of the time he spoke in a very staccato style, making him difficult to understand.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think those that are concerned should go rewatch the condensed game. Our defense gave up some big plays primarily due to poor open field tackling, but had some huge goal line stands. The holds that were shown were all BS. On offense I’m pretty sure we could have scored 40 if we’d really wanted to. I’m happy with the result. Let’s get a win at Cuse

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The broadcast team made mention that the ref crew was from a neutral conference. Guess which one?......................... You are correct, the Special Education Conference. Now just let your brain run wild.

It's sad that Alexander had to leave the game. I hope he is OK. IF it is a collarbone, he may actually have injured it on the play before. He stayed in the game but was tugging at it like it was hurt in the huddle. He got another carry the very next play and seemed to aggravate it even worse. Hopefully we are not talking about a fracture, but if we are, it's possible he broke it on the first of two carries. Obviously he is a tough kid who wanted to stay in the game badly.

Carrie looks awesome to me and is talented to the point he could compete for a lot more carries. If I had to guess, he is probably where he is on the depth chart, not due to talent, but because of ball security issues. Many great backs just need a little time at this level to get to the point where coaches trust them not to cough it up. He will be exciting to watch.

To me GSU looks pretty good. They will win a lot in the Sunbelt and probably go bowling. I am not worried as much as some about our performance. It's a good win with plenty of stuff on tape to keep us focused. The film room is going to be a little uncomfortable for some this week, but that can be a really good thing. We ARE a way better team this year in my view.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The question is - so what? Why keep dragging CPJ into Key's team? Let it go.
Because we like winners.

Unlike those losers who supported that losing loser of a coach who followed CPJ, because they didn’t like option football even though he was a loser.

Now we have option football back and we are winners again.

The great Bobby Dodd himself approved of option football and the winning tradition of Tech winning with option coaches who were winners. It’s the only option. 😊

Don’t you like winning? 😊

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Because we like winners.

Unlike those losers who supported that losing loser of a coach who followed CPJ, because they didn’t like option football even though he was a loser.

Now we have option football back and we are winners again.

The great Bobby Dodd himself approved of option football and the winning tradition of Tech winning with option coaches who were winners. It’s the only option. 😊

Don’t you like winning? 😊
Option is one piece of the offense. I agree having an option as a choice is good. But our offense isn't 90%+ option football. We have had options at various times during the past several years including when Joe Hamilton was our QB. But to say that is the main cog in our arsenal I don't agree with. We will never bring back the 3O or the Paul Johnson years. I want to look forward with a balance creative offense and have a winning team and not continuously keep reliving past coaches regimes.