Georgia State Post Game thread

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
sad donkey GIF
How many here would buy a stuffed Eeyore in a GT Rat Hat? In some ways, he is our board mascot.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
One factor that is being overlooked is the heat and humidity the guys had to play in last night. I noticed that Coach Key, who did not play a down, was actually soaking in perspiration in the postgame interviews. Sweat was actually dripping from his hat. This Georgia heat is brutal and has killed many a man. Add to it that these guys are huge and wearing a ton of equipment including a helmet that holds the heat in even more than a person who has no head covering on, and you are talking about an almost unbearable situation. I am always amazed how well these young men bear up under these almost inhumane conditions.

Fatigue makes cowards of us all, so when you see imperfection, penalties and other mistakes, just remember, it's hard to perform when the heat is on. On to the nice, air-conditioned Carrier Dome! To hell with Syracuse.

Go Jackets!
That's a GREAT point. For those who weren't there it was STUPID HUMID and really warm. Not sweltering hot and thankfully not in the sun but still noticeably warm. I don't know about anyone else but humidity absolutely saps my strength. I worked out with my coach at 7:30AM yesterday and while it wasn't super hot it was ridiculously humid and I was just glad to get the hour-long workout over. Now that you mentioned this factor I think it likely affected both teams and, in retrospect, I'm surprised we didn't see more cramping. Kudos to both teams S&C staff and the training staff for keeping them hydrated and with enough electrolytes.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Tired of seeing Tech-like arguments about holding so I'll talk about the stuff that matters.

Defense. We looked a tad sloppy to begin the game. Defenders looked out of position and a few runs for Ga State were blocked right into the voids in our defense. But they made two goal line stands which impressed me. We didn't throw much at their QB pressure wise. I think the coaches just wanted us to play a sound game.

Offensively, also sloppy. We seemed to lack the physicality we came out with vs FSU. We scored after getting warmed up but damn we had to absolutely GRIND to get the first two TDs. We didn't seem to get too crazy with the playbook but that reverse to Singleton was perfectly dialed up. Haynes King has yet to take any real deep shots after two games into the season. Carrie looks solid for a true freshman.

Glad we are 2-0. Definitely some major work to do this week in camp. Syracuse thinks they have a shot

GO JACKETS!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I agree, If people would just stop trying to bash CPJ then the counter responses would also stop. But I will defend him every time there is a dumb initial response.
Or you could just not reply and let people hang in the breeze with nobody to argue with. Do you really think CPJ needs defending? I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a crap what some message board weenies (doesn't that describe all of us?) think. Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to "right the wrongs." I like CPJ, too.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I had the same thought. Playing in Ireland the weather was perfect. Like crisp clean air in the 60s.

I wasn’t at the game last night, but it looked hot and humid. Brent flinging sweat from his hat in the presser was classic OL dude and really drove the point home.
The warmth and humidity were uncomfortable. Mostly the humidity. The warmth by itself wasn't too terrible and being at 8PM the sun was not a factor.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
At some point, when you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!

Dude took an L in week zero and won't just own it. Instead, he'll just keep yeah-but'ing.
I wonder if he'll pay off the bets with Chernoff and Joe Hamilton about covering the spread?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Easy to do, isn't it? When you are calling holding, that is. I think this is because the rules on it are so open to ref discretion. Today, you sometimes find refs calling like they did last night. Then you find refs who call like they did in Dublin: it's a hold if you essentially tackle the guy. Btw, it's the same with face masking; the turn of King's head on contact would have and did get a flag in Dublin. But not last night.
While some were just plain wrong calls, my issue has LESS to do with how these refs called holds in general and more with how these refs called them differently between the 2 teams. They were calling everything on us and almost nothing on GSU even though I watched multiple plays where the GSU OL would wrap up and tackle our DL AFTER our player got passed them.

This disparity between the teams was not just on holding either but on multiple other blatant missed calls. The King facemask followed immediately by targeting on the same play is probably the most obvious other example.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well stated. Guys who keep comparing CPJ's offense to Faulkner's are clueless.
We played 2 TE's much of the night after a decade of not even having one on the team. It's funny to me. :)
Exactly, hell almost all offenses have options built into almost every play, sometimes (gasp) even 3 options!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Our DC has had to open his first two games knowing very little to nothing {GSU) about what he was dealing with and having to play vanilla until he had some sort of feel for what they were doing. This week we get our first chance to have some film on the opposition,
Team needs to get ready for a tough place to play IMO. Hope Alexander can play, if not next man up as they say, whoever that might be. Needs to be able to block, hold onto the ball.

Those refs had to be homers of some sort, what conference were they from?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I understand and my wife makes me get a mop to clean it up.

oh, asking you another question do this 8 pm start kill you the next day? when I was young in my 40's 50's and 60's I loved the late starts but now after the game I lay in the bed and keep thinking about the game and can't sleep.
I remember being young and after the game rolling over to my wife and ......... And there is my problem I need one of those little blue pills and roll oer to her. ( question can you take one of those pills if you had say only 12 beers)
Well … today's Sunday. Usually it's a 2:00 start for the wife and I under any circumstances.

As to the pills: there are other meds, but you need to ask your doctor. And I'll take anything after 12 beers.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Tired of seeing Tech-like arguments about holding so I'll talk about the stuff that matters.

Defense. We looked a tad sloppy to begin the game. Defenders looked out of position and a few runs for Ga State were blocked right into the voids in our defense. But they made two goal line stands which impressed me. We didn't throw much at their QB pressure wise. I think the coaches just wanted us to play a sound game.

Offensively, also sloppy. We seemed to lack the physicality we came out with vs FSU. We scored after getting warmed up but damn we had to absolutely GRIND to get the first two TDs. We didn't seem to get too crazy with the playbook but that reverse to Singleton was perfectly dialed up. Haynes King has yet to take any real deep shots after two games into the season. Carrie looks solid for a true freshman.

Glad we are 2-0. Definitely some major work to do this week in camp. Syracuse thinks they have a shot

GO JACKETS!
Good points. GaSt seemed to have decided to stop our running game to start the game. They were doing a solid job keeping us from getting to the edge. We went to the passing game and that plus continued pounding eventually took its toll with some big plays both running and passing.

Conversely on defense State was getting to the edge running the ball early. Our goal line stances were stunning considering what we have become use to.

Their passing game was pretty effective getting the ball out quickly. Good plan by State. Lot of pressure on our DBs in man coverage and they generally held up very well. A few drops helped.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I think State is going to be good this year. They brought it to us and really did a good job. Dell was one of my top choices for coach when we were looking after TPO - sorry TFG, along with Key and Fritz (I was for more for Fritz back in 2019). We ended up where we are supposed to be and I think State will be in good hands as well. Really enjoyed watching the game as I saw the potential on GSU side and with us cleaning up some things we have the potential to be a good team as well. Not to look ahead, but we need to be careful in 2026 when we "visit" GSU.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Mtnwasp said about what I wanted to say several screens back. That is, an offensive plan to try against us is the quick pass. Teams used to do that to us during the Tenuta days too. On the one hand, it is hard to defend. But there are at least two weaknesses. The first is you have run a zillion plays in a row without hardly any screw ups. A few penalties, drops, poor throws, batted balls and you're punting. The second is when you get close to the end zone, it's hard to get it in if you can't run it. So you end up trying a lot of field goals.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
You are welcome to think he doesn't like Tech and maybe you're right (he sure has gotten a lot of hate over the years from GT fans) but last Sunday he was extremely complimentary of our team in every way. He and Barrett Sallee (sp?) talked about how our team just looks different than previous years in terms of size and athleticism. They gushed about our game plan and how we beat FSU and not once made it about FSU giving away the game. I tend to feel like we haven't given him and others in the college football world much to talk about in the grand scheme of things and now that we are he's doing it.

As for his playing time here I put that all on the coach.
It wasn't TL's fault he got recruited by a klutz.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
You are welcome to think he doesn't like Tech and maybe you're right (he sure has gotten a lot of hate over the years from GT fans) but last Sunday he was extremely complimentary of our team in every way. He and Barrett Sallee (sp?) talked about how our team just looks different than previous years in terms of size and athleticism. They gushed about our game plan and how we beat FSU and not once made it about FSU giving away the game. I tend to feel like we haven't given him and others in the college football world much to talk about in the grand scheme of things and now that we are he's doing it.

As for his playing time here I put that all on the coach.
Agree. I didn’t have a problem with Luginbill yesterday at all. He was complimentary of Tech and injected some self-deprecating humor when he and Wes talked in detail about an interception he threw while here.