Georgia State Post Game thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Oh him? Of course that guy doesn't follow other programs. He's too busy reminiscing with his bros about that one time the store clerk half-smiled in his general direction at him.

Freaks And Geeks Nerd GIF
Damn you I told you I don’t like that picture. My mom was trying to get me to smile because I had just gotten my braces off.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Good thoughts. GT fans in general don't follow other programs very much and do not really know the talent level of our opponents less UGA, Clemson and UNC. GaSt s a good example as was Louisville last year. Most GT fans just recently learned Cuse's QB is McChord who led Ohip State to a 1 loss season last year. Cuse has 15 transfers from P4 schools and 2 others who are highly rated from FBS schools this season. They are as talented as GT is. This will be a very tough game at the Dome
Thanks for enlightening us, but what about what GTjake said about the refs being bad? How are you going to let that stand?

RE: Syracuse. The only reason people should possibly expect a close game or a potential loss is not because Syracuse is any good or some kind of juggernaut. It’s because it is a game between 2 utterly mediocre teams from a year ago that finished 6-7 and 7-6.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I'm cool with all the back 'n forth. But what he's saying is beyond dismissive.

It ain't right, NE. Hold me back but don't let me go!

Black And White No GIF by GritTV
Oh, don’t worry, we’ve all got you. We’ve seen enough from you to know you can really make a mess out of someone.

Erase Season 9 GIF by One Chicago

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What were people's thoughts on CBK/CBF's decision to go for it on 4th and goal at the end of the first half? It worked out but man I hated that call because you don't even get the field position consolation prize in that situation if you fail the conversion.

I respected it. Reminded me of an old CPJ quote after an OT win against Wake in 2009. If we couldn't punch the ball in from that distance against GSU we didn't deserve to win. I feel like the team needed some 'spark' to start playing with energy. Telling the OL - I have faith in you, now go knock their butts back 3 yards. We were getting the ball back to start the second half. 3 points would've been fine. But 7 and the momentum going into the half changed the game.

I probably would've taken the FG and 3 points. But that's why Key is the Head Ball Coach and I'm a Monday morning QB.

slugboy

Staff member
I respected it. Reminded me of an old CPJ quote after an OT win against Wake in 2009. If we couldn't punch the ball in from that distance against GSU we didn't deserve to win. I feel like the team needed some 'spark' to start playing with energy. Telling the OL - I have faith in you, now go knock their butts back 3 yards. We were getting the ball back to start the second half. 3 points would've been fine. But 7 and the momentum going into the half changed the game.

I probably would've taken the FG and 3 points. But that's why Key is the Head Ball Coach and I'm a Monday morning QB.
I don’t know if the charts said “go for it”, but I think the offensive coaches were confident in what they had.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
GT fans don't follow college football besides GT and the UGA complex. That might be amplified b=from many living in Georgia. For those of us who don't live in Georgia we don't have near the issue with UGA as those who live there Also a large chunk of GT students don't follow college football at all. Somany on here act like Syracuse will be a pushover with zero knowledge of how Cuse changed this off season. We are a 1.5 point favorite. This should be a tough hard fought game. We can win but we need better play from our DL to get pressure on McChord. He is a better QB than the last two we faced.

Ok time to be nice to GT fans. The refs at the GaSt game were from the SEC so they were biased against GT. The media thinks the ACC and GT sucks so we don't get the credit we deserve. Cuse fans think GT will be a pushover, they are ignorant. GT has the best coaching staff in college football! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
The irony of telling other Tech fans they don't know anything about Syracuse while you repeatedly spell McCord's name wrong...

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
For those of us who don't live in Georgia we don't have near the issue with UGA as those who live there
I know we seem to be picking apart a lot of things you said - but at least anecdotally, I gotta disagree with this one. I haven’t lived in Georgia for 25 years, and I still have a massive issue with UGA. Most of my GT friends from outside of Georgia feel the same way, and greet me with “What’s the good word?”

Perhaps it’s petty, but that assertion alone has me discounting a lot of the other things you said.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
False. Until you acknowledge that, I can't take much of what you're saying seriously.

Perhaps you need to get out of your circle of GT fan-friends.
LOL actually my best friends are UNC, Cuse and Texas A&M fans. Cuse and A&M fan ae realistic. The Carolina fan is well a typical Carolina fan, unrealistic expectations and the refs are always against UNC. LOL I give him grief by the boatload about that last one!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I know we seem to be picking apart a lot of things you said - but at least anecdotally, I gotta disagree with this one. I haven’t lived in Georgia for 25 years, and I still have a massive issue with UGA. Most of my GT friends from outside of Georgia feel the same way, and greet me with “What’s the good word?”

Perhaps it’s petty, but that assertion alone has me discounting a lot of the other things you said.
UGA is good. They have been better than GT for the majority of the 55 years I have been a GT fan. I have lived in every part of the States and several overseas Countries so I don't deal with UGA fans very often. That is a good thing. The Georgia Grads I know are reasonable people. I don't know or deal with any Georgia Sidewalk fans fortunately.

You made my point that GT fans in general are obsessed with UGA. It's a great waste of energy. Ignore them if you can.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm on Root's side here: the UGA game was always the 9th most important game of the season to me (10th if we made the ACCCG). I think given a binary hypothetical, more of our fans would rather see Tech beat UGA than win a conference championship. Maybe that's shifted a little bit now that we have playoff autobids. Witnessing a GTFB ACC Championship is my most coveted (realistic) sports bucket list item (a GTMBB national championship and GTFB national championship would eclipse that but maybe not realistic at the moment).

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry, but pretending to not care about UGA isn’t the sophisticated thinking man’s trump card some of you think it is. It’s actually the most “little brother syndrome” thing a Tech fan can do. “I didn’t actually care I lost. You are not important”, I say through tears as I pick up my ball and go inside.

We had more preseason hype from, not just fans, but the media going into 2009 and 2015 than we did going into 2010. Beating UGA was greater for the perception of the program which (in theory) helps raise funds, recruiting etc than winning the ACC. Now that winning the ACC gets you a playoff bid, maybe that changes. However, I’d argue it would really depend on what we did in the playoff. If we just go one and done in the playoff, that may not be any more impressive to many outside the program than beating UGA(who has become the standard of college football) at the end of the year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
LOL actually my best friends are UNC, Cuse and Texas A&M fans. Cuse and A&M fan ae realistic. The Carolina fan is well a typical Carolina fan, unrealistic expectations and the refs are always against UNC. LOL I give him grief by the boatload about that last one!

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I wasn't suggesting all your friends are GT fans. I'm saying, if the GT fan-friends you have are giving you these odd impressions about the fanbase, you should seek other opinions.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
As a sidewalk fan, i have always been a little creeped out by how badly UGA is "in the heads" of the GT community. It is THE least attractive part about being a GT fan and participating in discussion with GT fans.

"Good Old Fashioned Hate" was always meant to be tongue in cheek to me. But GT fans will go to the mattresses that it is supposed to interpreted literally.

Take it from an outsider who doesn't have a horse in the race: the GT-UGA "rivalry" is one sided in an unhealthy way for GT. Not only in terms of competitive outcome, but more so in terms of the rivalry being a merely fun lark of tormenting GT fans for UGA fans, while GT fans let this stuff sink way, way, WAY too deeply.

If I was AD, I would suspend all competition between the schools until such time (maybe 20 years) that the GT community demonstrates that they remedy their out of balance perspective on the rivalry, take it down a good 5 notches.

The guys who don't care too much get the hottie.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As a sidewalk fan, i have always been a little creeped out by how badly UGA is "in the heads" of the GT community. It is THE least attractive part about being a GT fan and participating in discussion with GT fans.

"Good Old Fashioned Hate" was always meant to be tongue in cheek to me. But GT fans will go to the mattresses that it is supposed to interpreted literally.

Take it from an outsider who doesn't have a horse in the race: the GT-UGA "rivalry" is one sided in an unhealthy way for GT. Not only in terms of competitive outcome, but more so in terms of the rivalry being a merely fun lark of tormenting GT fans for UGA fans, while GT fans let this stuff sink way, way, WAY too deeply.

If I was AD, I would suspend all competition between the schools until such time (maybe 20 years) that the GT community demonstrates that they remedy their out of balance perspective on the rivalry, take it down a good 5 notches.

The guys who don't care too much get the hottie.
As a sidewalk fan living in Athens, GOFH is absolutely the most important game of the year. It isn't the only important game, but it tops the list. Beat them 3IAR like the Jackets did in '98 - '00 and you'll see how important it is for them, too. Last time that happened they fired the coach for it. Dropping the series would be an absolute disaster for Tech. Instead of that, we need to start beating them more often. Give Brent Key and the current administration a little more time and I have faith we'll do exactly that.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Are you tho?

He's basically saying GT fans don't know anything about college football.
Ehhh less comment about that. Just moreso about the obsession with UGA - I root for them to lose every game but we are more than likely one of the only fanbases in college football that would rather beat our rival than raise hardware. I know the math doesn't work out in this hypothetical but UGA fans would lose to Florida every year if it magically guaranteed them an SEC championship.

But I also come from a unique perspective in that I have zero family affiliated with UGA and minimal friends/coworkers. Smack talk/banter is a fun part of sports and I don't get to engage in it as much as everyone else on this board probably gets to. If I just look at my recent text messages, it's a lot of GT and then UConn, ND, (a single) UGA, Duke, Syracuse, UVA, Georgia State and most of these people don't even care or pay attention to college football anyway.

I definitely don't support dropping the series though. If it affected our conference record, I would consider it. I was an advocate for Batt dropping Clemson.