Georgia State Post Game thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Option is one piece of the offense. I agree having an option as a choice is good. But our offense isn't 90%+ option football. We have had options at various times during the past several years including when Joe Hamilton was our QB. But to say that is the main cog in our arsenal I don't agree with. We will never bring back the 3O or the Paul Johnson years. I want to look forward with a balance creative offense and have a winning team and not continuously keep reliving past coaches regimes.
If it was the main cog for CPJ then it is the main cog for Heisman, Dodd, Ross, and Key. CPJ ran the option for roughly 30% of the plays. Guess how often the other coaches I mentioned ran it?

See how much you like the winning option? 😊 I know I am sky high with our current option coach 😊 How about you? 😊

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
rewatching the game

1725251490962.png

But yeah they totally werent grabbing and ripping at jerseys at the line

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
You’re right.

He’s a 4.39

All due respect, when was that? what was his weight? after what injuries? I love Avery Boyd, but at 240, he doesn't run a 4.39. Don't believe it, especially after watching him get caught from behind. He's plenty fast, so I'm not dissing him, but he's not a 4.4 40 anymore. That's not a burn, just a reality. He's plenty fast and will have an opportunity as a TE to play at the next level.

That paper you referenced showed 6'2" 191#.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I think those that are concerned should go rewatch the condensed game. Our defense gave up some big plays primarily due to poor open field tackling, but had some huge goal line stands. The holds that were shown were all BS. On offense I’m pretty sure we could have scored 40 if we’d really wanted to. I’m happy with the result. Let’s get a win at Cuse
Correct - too many missed tackles in the first half (particularly from the secondary) but that improved in the second half. And we gave up too much yardage on first downs. Was encouraged with our 8 TFL's as it seemed we haven't got that kind of line penetration for many years on D... Definitely something to build on after a solid performance against FSU also. So far, hugely better D relative to the last few years. Hoping to see more QB pressures against Cuse...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Correct - too many missed tackles in the first half (particularly from the secondary) but that improved in the second half. And we gave up too much yardage on first downs. Was encouraged with our 8 TFL's as it seemed we haven't got that kind of line penetration for many years on D... Definitely something to build on after a solid performance against FSU also. So far, hugely better D relative to the last few years. Hoping to see more QB pressures against Cuse...
We actually had a few near sacks. One was on that rainbow TD pass they threw. We were about to light him up so he had to just lob it up and pray. It worked, but we missed the sack by less than a second. I’m encouraged.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How wonderful it is to be discussing things that the team needs to work on and get corrected after a 35-12 win than morning losses like Northern Illinois and Citadel. The good times are here. What a great coaching staff, AD, and school president we have. Oh, yes, and awesome players too. Let’s enjoy.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This was my take from Game day and re-watching last night;

1) Old Dominion and the Block Party were great. I didn't think moving Yellow Jacket Alley was a good move when I heard about it, but it turned out really good
2) The Students are fired up, now if we can get the rest of the fan base to show, Bobby Dodd will be a huge Home Field advantage
3) I thought the Refs were bad during the game after re-watching, it was worse. The guy throwing the behind the play flags was bad news and the downfield holding on Haynes Kings long TD was terrible.
4) I didn't go into the game and during the game give GSU enough credit. Didn't know about all the P5 transfers, especially at QB and RB.
5) The LOS was up for grabs, I'm a little disappointed we didn't dominate more in the run game
6) We didn't pressure the QB much, I think we still need some work here
7) The first half was scary (bad memories), I told my wife we get the ball to start the 2nd half and need to score and we did ... twice. Good to see we have a coaching staff that can adjust and fire-up the boys for the 2nd Half.

Bottom line, 2-0, it looks good and feels good, now lets move on to Syracuse ... Go Jackets !!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't want GT to ever be "that" fanbase, you know, the kind that criticizes our team when we don't blow out teams we think we're much better than, but I also like that the expectations of our program is finally coming out of the hole that we were in a couple of years ago. IMO, with the alignment we have with our President, AD, coach, this program is headed for a LOT more success. When that happens, we will naturally have more fans that will criticize everything that doesn't go our way.

Reminder to enjoy the journey, but remember how bad it can get for GT. Nothing is given, even wins against schools we think should be "easy". This program is headed for some BIG BIG wins, and will get to a point we've all wanted for years.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

1) Old Dominion and the Block Party were great. I didn't think moving Yellow Jacket Alley was a good move when I heard about it, but it turned out really good
2) The Students are fired up, now if we can get the rest of the fan base to show, Bobby Dodd will be a huge Home Field advantage
3) I thought the Refs were bad during the game after re-watching, it was worse. The guy throwing the behind the play flags was bad news and the downfield holding on Haynes Kings long TD was terrible.
4) I didn't go into the game and during the game give GSU enough credit. Didn't know about all the P5 transfers, especially at QB and RB.
5) The LOS was up for grabs, I'm a little disappointed we didn't dominate more in the run game
7) The first half was scary (bad memories), I told my wife we get the ball to start the 2nd half and need to score and we did ... twice. Good to see we have a coaching staff that can adjust and fire-up the boys for the 2nd Half.

Bottom line, 2-0, it looks good and feels good, now lets move on to Syracuse ... Go Jackets !!
Good thoughts. GT fans in general don't follow other programs very much and do not really know the talent level of our opponents less UGA, Clemson and UNC. GaSt s a good example as was Louisville last year. Most GT fans just recently learned Cuse's QB is McChord who led Ohip State to a 1 loss season last year. Cuse has 15 transfers from P4 schools and 2 others who are highly rated from FBS schools this season. They are as talented as GT is. This will be a very tough game at the Dome

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good thoughts. GT fans in general don't follow other programs very much and do not really know the talent level of our opponents less UGA, Clemson and UNC. GaSt s a good example as was Louisville last year. Most GT fans just recently learned Cuse's QB is McChord who led Ohip State to a 1 loss season last year. Cuse has 15 transfers from P4 schools and 2 others who are highly rated from FBS schools this season. They are as talented as GT is. This will be a very tough game at the Dome

Not true. Fans of all teams, in general, will struggle to gauge teams after 1 week of games. This is a byproduct of player movement and has nothing necessarily to do with the general level of fan knowledge.

You seem to have a negative general tone w.r.t. GT fans. Why you hate us, root?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Funny/interesting tidbit about Desmond Howard and GT: GT was his 2nd choice coming out of HS.

Good reminder of what Tech’s recruiting strengths are and also why these strengths don’t really fit with the SEC anymore.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not true. Fans of all teams, in general, will struggle to gauge teams after 1 week of games. This is a byproduct of player movement and has nothing necessarily to do with the general level of fan knowledge.

He wasn’t talking about you. He was talking about that generic yellow jacket 🐝 whom you have never met and who doesn’t hang out on this site and doesn’t go to games and who rarely watches sports and who spends his time playing dungeons and dragons and who is really good guy but whom you will never meet because you will never cross paths with them because you have nothing in common with them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He wasn’t talking about you. He was talking about that generic yellow jacket 🐝 whom you have never met and who doesn’t hang out on this site and doesn’t go to games and who rarely watches sports and who spends his time playing dungeons and dragons and who is really good guy but whom you will never meet because you will never cross paths with them because you have nothing in common with them.

Oh him? Of course that guy doesn't follow other programs. He's too busy reminiscing with his bros about that one time the store clerk half-smiled in his general direction at him.

Freaks And Geeks Nerd GIF

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

GT fans don't follow college football besides GT and the UGA complex. That might be amplified b=from many living in Georgia. For those of us who don't live in Georgia we don't have near the issue with UGA as those who live there Also a large chunk of GT students don't follow college football at all. Somany on here act like Syracuse will be a pushover with zero knowledge of how Cuse changed this off season. We are a 1.5 point favorite. This should be a tough hard fought game. We can win but we need better play from our DL to get pressure on McChord. He is a better QB than the last two we faced.

Ok time to be nice to GT fans. The refs at the GaSt game were from the SEC so they were biased against GT. The media thinks the ACC and GT sucks so we don't get the credit we deserve. Cuse fans think GT will be a pushover, they are ignorant. GT has the best coaching staff in college football! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

How wonderful it is to be discussing things that the team needs to work on and get corrected after a 35-12 win than morning losses like Northern Illinois and Citadel. The good times are here. What a great coaching staff, AD, and school president we have. Oh, yes, and awesome players too. Let’s enjoy.
i think this was actually a great outcome. Made enough big plays on both sides of the ball to win and made a lot of mistakes to keep the players from getting overconfident. I think the big differnce is the coaches to get player buyin on the real belief they can win any game. And recruiting players with a lot of fight and character.