Georgia Southern Postgame

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Biggest problem with the defense is the linebackers are slow. Need to really focus on getting faster and more athletic at that position.

And when the LBs blitzed today they whiffed on the tackle and made the QB a hero on the play.

On non blitzing plays they cannot be as slow as they play. Maybe there are too many rules (too much thinking and not enough "see ball get ball"). The safeties were turned loose today to be more aggressive. It worked. Maybe Roof needs to try that with the LBs (although I agree part of the problem with the LBs is slow feet).

And when the LBs blitzed today they whiffed on the tackle and made the QB a hero on the play.

On non blitzing plays they cannot be as slow as they play. Maybe there are too many rules (too much thinking and not enough "see ball get ball"). The safeties were turned loose today to be more aggressive. It worked. Maybe Roof needs to try that with the LBs (although I agree part of the problem with the LBs is slow feet).
Plus inability to tackle

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
JT went for a TD on that counter option and then it seemed we tried that play a hundred times without success. Either we didn't get it pitched or whatever. Frustrating.

In the stands I kept yelling "STOP RUNNING THE COUNTER OPTION." Number 27 for GSU probably had 3 tackles for loss on those plays. Even if he didn't make the tackle, there were generally two other guys waiting to make a play. It isn't like we were one block away from springing a big play (with the exception of the TD). I cannot for the life of me understand why we kept running it when it seemed as though it was successful once, and then dreadful the entire rest of the game. Too many drives stalled because of that play being called multiple times. It was frustrating.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Simple math since you're having a hard time understanding.
5 Possesions 24 Points GOOD
10 Posessioms 24 Points BAD
PPD with 5 Posessions = 4.8
PPD with 10 Posessions = 2.4

I'm not sure if you're messing with me or not, but I'll assume you aren't.

He gave the original post about points per drive. He said Ga Southern had very good points per drive against us, compared to the rest of their schedule (indicating that our defense was among the worst they faced).

You then said "no, that's not true, because they had more possessions than us, meaning their points per drive will be lower".

Thing is, he already did the work of accounting for difference in possessions. That's why he put it in PPD instead of points per game.

Do you understand what I am saying?

I'm trying very hard here not to get snippy, but I must admit, I'm tempted.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
A post on blitzing.

So, I just rewatched the first half, and while we actually blitzed a decent amount, it was called at times I didn't love.

@Boomergump we discussed on another thread whether or not GT should blitz more. After watching the first half, I am convinced that maybe GT shouldn't blitz more, but rather should blitz more often on first and second downs.

GT Blitzed a LOT today on third and short, but wasn't that effective, because even if you hold them to 3 yards, on 3rd and 2, that doesn't matter.

GSU "hurt" gt 3 times on blitzes that I saw. 1) They called a sceen into a blitz on an early down, and picked up maybe 15-20. 2) They ran brieda off tackle when gt was blitzing both LBs up the middle, and he picked up like 15. 3) Vic Alexander blitzed, had the qb, let go of him, and they got a PI call.

Frankly, I don't count number 3, because that's a fluke play.

But I will ABSOLUTELY take getting hurt 2x a half on blitzes, because on OTHER occasions, the team blitzed on first down and really good things happend. GSU was put behind the chains, or forced a bad throw. All the better if getting hurt only costs you 15 yards. I'll take that gamble every single time.

It's okay not to blitz on 3rd and 14. Bring your 4 guys then, because you can afford to give up 8 yards underneath. You can't afford that on first and 10.

I understand you can't be SUPER predictable, or you'll just get screened to death, but Roof playing soft on first and second, and then blitzing on 3rd and 1 is not a recipe for success in my mind.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if you're messing with me or not, but I'll assume you aren't.

He gave the original post about points per drive. He said Ga Southern had very good points per drive against us, compared to the rest of their schedule (indicating that our defense was among the worst they faced).

You then said "no, that's not true, because they had more possessions than us, meaning their points per drive will be lower".

Thing is, he already did the work of accounting for difference in possessions. That's why he put it in PPD instead of points per game.

Do you understand what I am saying?

I'm trying very hard here not to get snippy, but I must admit, I'm tempted.
Lmao you don't get it. I said their PPD will be higher against us because they have less possessions. That's why their PPD were lower against the scrub teams they had more possessions.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Lmao you don't get it. I said their PPD will be higher against us because they have less possessions. That's why their PPD were lower against the scrub teams they had more possessions.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I wonder why that is so? (Butker.) Logic tells me that if a right-footed commie kicker kicks from the right hash, it factors in the hook.
most times when an otherwise reliable kicker pulls the ball he's usually feeling pressure from his right. I've noticed on quite a few of his pulls. I didn't see his mis yesterday so I can't comment on that one but kickers do react to pressure that way.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Really poor defensive exhibition by the Jackets. I hope i'm wrong but i have a feeling GT will lose the last 5 games of the season and finish 4-8.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Umm, higher ppd means our defense is WORSE. Lower ppd means it is better.

Since they had higher PPD, it suggest our defense sucks.

This isn't rocket science, and is obvious to just about everyone else.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With us up by two scores the way the Eagles were taking away the outside and forcing JT to keep the ball I wanted to see Jordan in there. It was obvious to me that the pitch was not there and we would be better served with Jordan blasting for 5 rather that JT dancing for +/-2....not to mention saving wear and tear on JT.
The same point crossed my mind during the stretch between Q2 and Q3. It looked to me like MJ would have had a better go of it getting the play headed north more quickly. We probably could have 4 yarded them to death. Perhaps midline would have been good plays to run as well.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I hope we really focus on error correction and Duke during the off week. We also need to heal up some bumps and bruises. Our offense is on the edge of being good, and we are going to need to be good from here on out. If we are going to win the offense is going to need to be ready to win a shootout.

I like the blitzes called yesterday, I just think it allows us to play faster. Why we have such trouble tackling I don't know.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When I think about our defensive effort yesterday, playing poorly isn't the thought that comes to mind. The yards per play (especially run) was actually under control. We just seem to have a knack for giving up 3 when they have 2 to go. Or 4, when they have 3 etc. For me it comes down to playing physical. When you hit people and make forceful tackles the extra yards after contact don't tend to happen. Perhaps we are a step slow and can't get in position to lower a shoulder, I dunno. I haven't watched a defensive replay in a long while. For the most part, I felt like we were in position to make plays, that is the DC's primary job. However, if you are in position to make a play, and make it, while giving up an extra yard or two, allowing the ball carrier to drag and fight, putting them in better position for third down, you are going to struggle on third down, especially if they drag you again on that play.

I'm not so sure schematics is the root cause of our problems. More blitzing may help, especially on early downs, whatever. Being predictable blitzing can have consequences too. IMHO, let's focus on being physical first. When was the last time we knocked a ball loose? The Orange bowl?

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When I think about our defensive effort yesterday, playing poorly isn't the thought that comes to mind. The yards per play (especially run) was actually under control. We just seem to have a knack for giving up 3 when they have 2 to go. Or 4, when they have 3 etc. For me it comes down to playing physical. When you hit people and make forceful tackles the extra yards after contact don't tend to happen. Perhaps we are a step slow and can't get in position to lower a shoulder, I dunno. I haven't watched a defensive replay in a long while. For the most part, I felt like we were in position to make plays, that is the DC's primary job. However, if you are in position to make a play, and make it, while giving up an extra yard or two, allowing the ball carrier to drag and fight, putting them in better position for third down, you are going to struggle on third down, especially if they drag you again on that play.

I'm not so sure schematics is the root cause of our problems. More blitzing may help, especially on early downs, whatever. Being predictable blitzing can have consequences too. IMHO, let's focus on being physical first. When was the last time we knocked a ball loose? The Orange bowl?
Finding a new defensive coordinator would go a long way toward helping the defense.