Georgia Southern Postgame

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Positives:
-Our D doesn't look bad on 1st and 2nd down.
-We can pass to set up the run if we need to.

Negatives:
-3rd down D
-The triple option wasn't really effective as much as standard runs by our BB and JTs arm

-Good to see AJ and Corey ball out. Just stop with the tips please. Use both hands and bring it in.
-Started 2 true freshmen on the line and had both tackles out. O is so close to being 2009 level scary. We have to get more consistent.
-Jeune was a force. We could have thrown more and been successful with the way they were charging the alley.
-Gotta get a killer instinct. Mash on the gas.
-Dedrick Mills ACC rookie of the year. I like working Marshall in for 10-15 touches a game, but Mills is a man.
-Glad to see Step back. We need PJ back as well.

It's always good to win one. We need to heal up and get ready to whip some Dookie tail.
AJ had a helluva game today.

Milwaukee

Banned
It's not about a team scoring on us, it's about not being able to get off the field to get the offense on so they can get in a rhythm. Plus it's a collectiveness of bad D throughout the years, not just this game. And we played a team that's not very good right now.

D wasn't Seattle Seahawks good, but good overall. As Whiskey mentioned, we were terrible on 3rd downs and need to improve.

If you think our d played well, you don't know football. 13/20 on 3rd downs. That is terrible. Our LB's were nowhere to be found, AGAIN. It's not good when your safeties have to make all the tackles. That being said, the O played well. Really pleased with the 2 true freshman OL.

Some need to accept the fact that we aren't a very good program right now, period. So whoever thought we were just gonna line up and roll GaSou by 40 just doesn't know football. Jesus himself couldn't do that with our roster.

Disclaimer - my opinion only here: Our LB play today was abysmal as usual, unfortunately. Our best athletes are on the bench while we trot out a bunch of fan favorites. There's no reason why Mitchell, Alford, and Curry should see the field before Lewis, Vic, and Tre. But that's just my opinion.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Glad we got the win. There were a lot of Southern fans at BDS and they were loud.
Offense looked good. That catch by Stewart was amazing. D. Mills and M. Marshall were solid. O-line did a really good job of pass protection .
Defense was hard to watch. Sean Bedford on the radio postgame said that the Tech D needs to do a better job on 1st and 2nd down so teams are not in 3rd & 1, 2, or 3 situations. I definitely agree. Also, it seems like we have a hard time getting guys down on the initial hit. On the bright side, AJ Gray is really good.
Lastly, did I hear Brandon Adams get in the game and get a tackle? I think he should get more playing time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I actually liked a lot of our 3rd down calls and many of the plays that gave up 1sts were by a hair. Wasn't good enough but not completely awful either. The problem was way way too many were 3rd and one tries.

We had too many real frustrating series where we'd make a good play on 1st to set up a 2nd n long....and would miss an assignment or tackle on 2nd down leading to a big gain and a 3 and one try. Just way too inconsistent. Guys have to string more good plays together without the breakdowns in between.

I think we did what most do against us. Focus on stopping the rush and take our lumps elsewhere. I think we held GSU to about 3ypc which did the job, but barely.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind GSU knew they had to go for it on 4th down to win. That kept a lot of drives alive.

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are just not a physical defense. When was the last ball we knocked loose? I don't even know. Last season? PITT was a mesh error not a ball jarred loose. We are in position to make plays, but we rarely seem to hit people. We do a lot of grabbing and pulling down, but we aren't hitting people.

I am not in practice to see what is going on, but I would like to see Adams take on an increased role. When he came in for goal line D, he got push into the backfield (right in front of me) both plays and made a tackle on one of them. He is quick and he is large. I have to believe on run downs he will make everybody's job easier. We just don't have anybody else doing that. Get him out on passing downs if you want, but let's have him help us more. Kallon rushes the passer OK, but he struggles against the run.

JT went for a TD on that counter option and then it seemed we tried that play a hundred times without success. Either we didn't get it pitched or whatever. Frustrating.

Explosion plays helped a lot. WRs came up large. BBs had good games. As mentioned, our safeties played well. They were everywhere.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Don't tell the safeties they didn't play physical D. But I do agree by and large Boomer. Agree to an extent about Adams too, he is gonna be a good one. Right now he just doesn't look fleet of foot enough for more than mostly short yardage. I might be way off base though. I do wonder how much more pt he'd get if he was maybe 15 lbs lighter.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
1) Our O played well.
2) Butker still struggling from the right hash.
3) Our D was bad on 3rd down.
4) Our LB play is just plain bad.
5) If you can't tell, I'm still not a Ted Roof fan.
I wonder why that is so? (Butker.) Logic tells me that if a right-footed commie kicker kicks from the right hash, it factors in the hook.

Rozier24

Georgia Tech Fan
The GSU fans were pretty good. However I could not resist...

Attachments

• IMG_3199.JPG
    IMG_3199.JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 182

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Safeties did have a good game. Their stats were not primarily chasing down guys turned loose in the secondary so it's mostly incorrect to say it's not good for the safeties to get a lot of tackles (in this case). They were blowing up guys near the line of scrimmage and behind it. AJ made an absolute beastly play blowing up a blocker one on one before demolishing a ball carrier for a short game. That play got me stoked.

Our 3rd downs were bad. We had a ton of 2nd and longs turn into 3rd and 1s though. Not a recipe for 3rd down success.

Played a good bit of press coverage. Saw some good stunts, pre snap movement, and blitzes. But haters gonna hate. Give em what they ask for but still struggle in phases and they will still *****. They ***** because of results are not meeting expectation. It ain't the scheme, it ain't the play calls, it ain't the coverage (that's just what the football geniuses claim).

I think we missed ol PJ quite a bit today.
I may be guilty of this. I only watched the second half and was flicking back and forth with the uva game

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well we missed some tackles too and they might have missed some also. I've only watched it live. I think the whole D is guilty of some inconsistency issues.