Georgia Southern Postgame

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
In the stands I kept yelling "STOP RUNNING THE COUNTER OPTION." Number 27 for GSU probably had 3 tackles for loss on those plays. Even if he didn't make the tackle, there were generally two other guys waiting to make a play. It isn't like we were one block away from springing a big play (with the exception of the TD). I cannot for the life of me understand why we kept running it when it seemed as though it was successful once, and then dreadful the entire rest of the game. Too many drives stalled because of that play being called multiple times. It was frustrating.

The touchdown, the big gain from Marcus Marshall AND the play before that where we were less than one block away from another touchdown (literally everyone was blocked, but MM didn't keep pitch relationship so there was no pitch) were all counter options.

I think the issue here is they changed up their defense and CPJ didn't adjust. I find it hard to believe that CPJ didn't see that, so he probably chose not to adjust because we didn't have to in order to win. We were running it to get practice blocking and keeping pitch relationship. Don't forget we had some young guys out there.

/

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I watch every single game and when the game is over I watch many more games. I won't go as far as sayin our defense was terrible because it wasn't today but 24 points allowed To Georgia southern isn't good. It looked good becuse we won. And I'm glad we won hopefully we win out. 35-24 win over Clemson Miami or hell even Pitt I would say yea our defense and offense played great. To Georgia southern can't say we were great. I do like them blitzing more they need to. But when you beat a team like southern by 11 points at home that's just not enough to prove anything
The last 7 was literally handed to them. We had the game won and played to not give up the big play and not get an injury. I was perfectly fine with that.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Re blitzing: I liked what we did. You have to gamble and be somewhat aggressive even if you give up a play. Our linebackers are just beyond bad. They are no where to be found, take terrible angles, and aren't great at tackling. The whole team needs to learn to tackle better. A sure fire 4 yard loss somehow always turns into a 1 yard gain, we continuously can't bring the QB down even when we do get to him.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
It did seem that on defense we would have two good plays and one bad one every three downs. It would be 2nd and 9, then we'd give up 7 yds, 3 of them after first contact. Then they would convert by half a yard, and the sequence would begin again. We did put some licks on their qb, but they stood in there and delivered the ball.

The games between GSU and GT and GSU and uga are GSU's rivalry games. They seem to bring their best. Great fans.

The 2nd and 3rd qtrs were the worst execution by Thomas of the TO ever, I think. Was GSU throwing something at him defensively he had never seen before?

Stewart bailed us out with that huge catch. It might have gone badly if he doesn't make the catch to get us out of that hole.

Before they leave, this will be the best set of A & B backs we have ever had. Keep telling yourself, we have only two seniors of offense. Of course one of them is the qb.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
When I think about our defensive effort yesterday, playing poorly isn't the thought that comes to mind. The yards per play (especially run) was actually under control. We just seem to have a knack for giving up 3 when they have 2 to go. Or 4, when they have 3 etc. For me it comes down to playing physical. When you hit people and make forceful tackles the extra yards after contact don't tend to happen. Perhaps we are a step slow and can't get in position to lower a shoulder, I dunno. I haven't watched a defensive replay in a long while. For the most part, I felt like we were in position to make plays, that is the DC's primary job. However, if you are in position to make a play, and make it, while giving up an extra yard or two, allowing the ball carrier to drag and fight, putting them in better position for third down, you are going to struggle on third down, especially if they drag you again on that play.

I'm not so sure schematics is the root cause of our problems. More blitzing may help, especially on early downs, whatever. Being predictable blitzing can have consequences too. IMHO, let's focus on being physical first. When was the last time we knocked a ball loose? The Orange bowl?
I really believe that because Roof calls a "passive" style of defense, it causes our players to be passive. I think we would all agree that any good D has a certain level of physicality. "Physical" is not a word I'd use to describe our D.

Jmonty71

Banned
Roof called a great game. Timely blitzes with Griffin on some big 3rd downs.

The chat today was almost unbearable with the "Roof needs to be fired because a team scored against us" agenda. Getting old.
Having GA Southern rack up points and TOP is plenty of reasons, why he needs to go.

Jmonty71

Banned
I really believe that because Roof calls a "passive" style of defense, it causes our players to be passive. I think we would all agree that any good D has a certain level of physicality. "Physical" is not a word I'd use to describe our D.
Point is 100% correct. I call it lackadaisical.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I generally agree, but I saw some real physical D play from Gray and Griffin especially. We need that effort to spread. I also saw a few plays from Freeman that indicated an uptick in his performance.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It did seem that on defense we would have two good plays and one bad one every three downs. It would be 2nd and 9, then we'd give up 7 yds, 3 of them after first contact. Then they would convert by half a yard, and the sequence would begin again. We did put some licks on their qb, but they stood in there and delivered the ball.

The games between GSU and GT and GSU and uga are GSU's rivalry games. They seem to bring their best. Great fans.

The 2nd and 3rd qtrs were the worst execution by Thomas of the TO ever, I think. Was GSU throwing something at him defensively he had never seen before?

Stewart bailed us out with that huge catch. It might have gone badly if he doesn't make the catch to get us out of that hole.

Before they leave, this will be the best set of A & B backs we have ever had. Keep telling yourself, we have only two seniors of offense. Of course one of them is the qb.

on JT--he had 89 yds rushing ,58 of that in ONE play in 1st qt , so on the others are avg about 2.5-- BAD
and until Mills hit that 20 yd TD we had comparatively little up middle (MM got 50 on outside run)
so we still can't run middle much,not like the old days

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
on JT--he had 89 yds rushing ,58 of that in ONE play in 1st qt , so on the others are avg about 2.5-- BAD
and until Mills hit that 20 yd TD we had comparatively little up middle (MM got 50 on outside run)
so we still can't run middle much,not like the old days
Subtract the big numbers and then figure out the average? Huh? Not like that play was a fluke or something. Let's take out a few of the zero gainers and see how his average does. Or we could just use the average average, like everyone else does.

And the way our offense works, if the D focuses on the B-back, we will naturally get a lot more yards from the A-back. That's not a sign of offensive weakness, but offensive strength.

And while I agree that our D 'bent' way too much, the bottom line is that they had 10 points until more than 50 minutes of the game had elapsed, and they were never within one possession of us. Let's celebrate a win, acknowledge that we remain an imperfect team, and start dreaming about the remaining possibilities.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Subtract the big numbers and then figure out the average? Huh? Not like that play was a fluke or something. Let's take out a few of the zero gainers and see how his average does. Or we could just use the average average, like everyone else does.

And the way our offense works, if the D focuses on the B-back, we will naturally get a lot more yards from the A-back. That's not a sign of offensive weakness, but offensive strength.

And while I agree that our D 'bent' way too much, the bottom line is that they had 10 points until more than 50 minutes of the game had elapsed, and they were never within one possession of us. Let's celebrate a win, acknowledge that we remain an imperfect team, and start dreaming about the remaining possibilities.

huh? I was replying to Redmule ,who commented that JT didn't have good 2nd and 3rd qtrs.If you think he did,go look at the film.