Georgia Southern Postgame

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone has proposed we have arrived on D. I just see improvement and just maybe some light at the end of the tunnel towards that goal.

I see the opposite. I think we've gone backwards since Vandy. I don't know where the blame lies, but we held Os to under their ave ppd early but not lately, it seems to me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Issues (dead horse material) still include limited pass rush without having to blitz.
Some of their longer runs were to holes created when we had player blitz...

Tipped ball for 1st down (just bad luck)

We got lucky that several passes were either QB and WR seeing something different or were under duress (proof that pressure often causes a poor pass/guess were to throw).

Our pass blocking was pretty good. Granted it should be considering the competition.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just looked up the season stats on defense. Do you all realize that Adams has 3 unassisted tackles? What has he played, 10 total snaps? Guys like Kallon have played a ton and only have 6. KCH like 10. We have to give that kind of production rate a chance to flourish a little. Like I said, I am not at practice, so TIFWIW. I know it is hard to sub with all of the hurry up going on, but there has to be situations where we can use his ability to penetrate and get push.

Milwaukee

Banned
I just looked up the season stats on defense. Do you all realize that Adams has 3 unassisted tackles? What has he played, 10 total snaps? Guys like Kallon have played a ton and only have 6. KCH like 10. We have to give that kind of production rate a chance to flourish a little. Like I said, I am not at practice, so TIFWIW. I know it is hard to sub with all of the hurry up going on, but there has to be situations where we can use his ability to penetrate and get push.

Our best defenders are on the bench, Boomer. Imo.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I see the opposite. I think we've gone backwards since Vandy. I don't know where the blame lies, but we held Os to under their ave ppd early but not lately, it seems to me.

I'm referring more to prior years and this year so far. I see young guys on the line holding their own a little better overall. I agree about the last 2 games. I didn't see Pitt but those stats and the points surrendered speak for themselve. Today I saw some good and some bad. Too much inconsistency. Creating turnovers is still depressingly absent.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Our best defenders are on the bench, Boomer. Imo.
And therein lies part of my issue with Roof. We have 1 LB who was better last year as a true freshman than he is this year. We have another LB that was awful today and should've been replaced. Simmons has been our best pass rusher on the DL yet he doesn't start and probably plays 1/3 of the D snaps if that.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Does this mean they did the second best vs the Gt D?

It must be our talent cuz those other teams generally out recruit us smh. U guys are funny.
(Assuming PPD Means Point Per Drive, if it doesn't Sorry...)
They had less possessions against us. All those other schools run spread no huddle .GaSo has the ball more against them. Meaning the average points per drive will be lower.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Been saying that a while about Adams. He's a liability in the pass game and probably the spread attack but he's at least a hole clogger that will let other guys make plays.

Hard to evaluate our 3rd down D today. Usually we give up 3rd and 8's. Today was a lot of 3rd an 1's. Linebacking core is not fun to watch.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
Biggest problem with the defense is the linebackers are slow. Need to really focus on getting faster and more athletic at that position.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
And therein lies part of my issue with Roof. We have 1 LB who was better last year as a true freshman than he is this year. We have another LB that was awful today and should've been replaced. Simmons has been our best pass rusher on the DL yet he doesn't start and probably plays 1/3 of the D snaps if that.
Simmons played a lot today per Cuse. In fact i get sick and tired of guys in the chat saying so and so should be in. Why isn't this guy or that guy playing snaps on D. In fact, Simmons played a lot of snaps. Cuse said it a few times that he played a lot and only had one tackle. If you don't hear the guy's name called, it doesn't mean he's not in the game. SMDH.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Biggest problem with the defense is the linebackers are slow. Need to really focus on getting faster and more athletic at that position.

Couldn't agree more, we need more speed and physical play from that group. Hopefully with the Swilling kids committing ( I know at least one of them is a LB) we can start a trend of better recruiting at that position.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we faced tough defenses and weaker offense to start the season. These offenses had low PPD to begin with and our style limits possessions which limits the "randomness" of some of the low PPD teams.

Now we are hitting better offenses and, as CPJ said, the higher scoring offenses are showing the issues.

I did like the blitzing disguises, change up in blitzes, and the press coverages. Yet, we get what we want, but something is still missing.

We stuffed the run on some of the weaker teams and not Pitt and GSU. But, I think that is more on the opposing team strengths changes versus our team taking a step back.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Simmons played a lot today per Cuse. In fact i get sick and tired of guys in the chat saying so and so should be in. Why isn't this guy or that guy playing snaps on D. In fact, Simmons played a lot of snaps. Cuse said it a few times that he played a lot and only had one tackle. If you don't hear the guy's name called, it doesn't mean he's not in the game. SMDH.
I watched the game today so I'm aware he played a real amount. It doesn't change the fact that he should be playing more than he has been. I could argue he's been the best DE this year. Just because he only had 1 tackle doesn't mean he didn't affect the game. You can shake your dam head all you want.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched the game today so I'm aware he played a real amount. It doesn't change the fact that he should be playing more than he has been. I could argue he's been the best DE this year. Just because he only had 1 tackle doesn't mean he didn't affect the game. You can shake your dam head all you want.
You must not have watched too closely. He didn't have a good game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
(Assuming PPD Means Point Per Drive, if it doesn't Sorry...)
They had less possessions against us. All those other schools run spread no huddle .GaSo has the ball more against them. Meaning the average points per drive will be lower.

Yeah, ppd means points per drive, but your conclusion doesn't follow. Ppd normalizes per drive so it allows you to compare Ds regardless of how many drives per game.