Fire CJP + State of the Program

GT_EE78

Banned
The more I watch guys like Wade, Beard, Keats, and to a lesser extent Drew produce, the more CJP pisses me off. Can't believe we screwed this up so much. We could have taken a chance on a mid major guy with high upside (no Gregory didn't have high upside) and I would've been much happier with it. Instead we took a guy that was being forced out, and it shows. Sickening to me. I understand football having struggles, but we should be able to land 1-2 higher end guys in basketball every class and build a program. Inexcusable that we are losing games like GW.
Isn't there an old saying "beware Geeks bearing gifts" ? Maybe someone should have been suspicious when Memphis was willing to pay to see him leave?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I didn't know prison inmates had internet access in prison;)

In fairness, I'm pretty sure Ron isn't behind bars just yet. Could explain the posting history.

Pitt has a bit too much snow for my tastes, Capel would be warmer in atlanta. Hard to see anyone from Coach K's tree being a bad selection.

Whaa? With very few exceptions, K's tree bares rotten, rancid fruit.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
K's tree includes Dawkins who flamed out at Stanford and Amaker who has had mixed results even with his Harvard gig.

He does get credit for a solid branch in Mike Brey at ND.

Right now the shiny new toys are Wojo at Marquette, Collins at NW and Capel at Pitt. Capels history at OK notwithstanding. So far results are promising but miles to go before any definitive answer. Having said that, for Tech I would have taken Collins or Capel and not looked back.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
K's tree includes Dawkins who flamed out at Stanford and Amaker who has had mixed results even with his Harvard gig.

Right now the shiny new toys are Wojo at Marquette, Collins at NW and Capel at Pitt. Capels history at OK notwithstanding. So far results are promising but miles to go before any definitive answer. Having said that, for Tech I would have taken Collins or Capel and not looked back.

I've like Brey for a long time. Back when the first rumors of Hewitt going to the Knicks came out, Brey was the guy I was hoping we'd target if it came true. GT was a better job than ND then.

How's that for stuff changing greatly in about a dozen years? :banghead:

All of the others grade as incomplete or mediocre at best. To say anyone from that tree can't be a bad selection seems odd.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The more I watch guys like Wade, Beard, Keats, and to a lesser extent Drew produce, the more CJP pisses me off. Can't believe we screwed this up so much. We could have taken a chance on a mid major guy with high upside (no Gregory didn't have high upside) and I would've been much happier with it. Instead we took a guy that was being forced out, and it shows. Sickening to me. I understand football having struggles, but we should be able to land 1-2 higher end guys in basketball every class and build a program. Inexcusable that we are losing games like GW.
Sad thing is I don't believe we had a good chance at getting any of those guys to come here. I still think Pastner was the best we could get. I think we'd be in much better shape right now if we weren't GT and fired our best coach for the most minor thing on the college basketball planet.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Woah woah woah are you saying Banks is even an average defender? The tallest guy who got minutes for GW was 6’6. He is avg 11 a game and dropped 20 on us...
but...but...but...if he's the guy I'm remembering, he scored 18 in the first half. Banks was just letting him get overconfident before shutting him down in the second half...

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Sad thing is I don't believe we had a good chance at getting any of those guys to come here. I still think Pastner was the best we could get. I think we'd be in much better shape right now if we weren't GT and fired our best coach for the most minor thing on the college basketball planet.
Wade only had one year under his belt at VCU at the time and was really young. It would have taken a gamble. Same with Keats, he was only at UNCW for two at the time of our hire and stayed one more year. I think we could have gotten both possibly, but both were a gamble, and might have cost a little more than Pastner since we wouldn't have gotten any money from their respective schools. I'm guessing money was the issue. GT was still a pretty good job when Hewitt left, so the Gregory hire was worse than Pastner, but he's doing his damndest to catch up.

GT_EE78

Banned

Well, then I'd be happy to exclude anyone named Hurley or Dawkins.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Well , no championships and folks love to bash them in various articles but there's a few NCAAT appearances among Brey,Amaker,Collins,Wojo.
Collins took Northwestern to their first ever tournament. Cool. Wojo hasn't done anything more significant than his predecessors at Marquette. Amaker has been good in the Ivy League but he flamed out and got fired at Michigan. Brey is a very good coach.
Wade only had one year under his belt at VCU at the time and was really young. It would have taken a gamble. Same with Keats, he was only at UNCW for two at the time of our hire and stayed one more year. I think we could have gotten both possibly, but both were a gamble, and might have cost a little more than Pastner since we wouldn't have gotten any money from their respective schools. I'm guessing money was the issue. GT was still a pretty good job when Hewitt left, so the Gregory hire was worse than Pastner, but he's doing his damndest to catch up.
I remember people bringing up Keats connection to Pitino and Louisville who were in the middle of the stripper controversy. That was also the year before he took the NC St job so I believe that he hadn't taken UNCW to the tournament yet. It looked like Drew was coming and that fell apart at the last minute.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He’s already been fired from one job
When coach K missed games and Capel coached they lost games that K would not have lost. He was fired at Oklahoma. May have been too young for that one but I don't expect to see greatness at Pitt. He was known for his recruiting at Duke.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Good win against a very young SEC team... however Saturday's home COFH game is going to tell us what we need to know about CJP moving fwd...If we win I will buy the exams and CJP excuse for the Gardner Webb loss.... If we we lose COFH, he needs to go ASAP!