Fire CJP + State of the Program

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................ Lol. Besides both coaches NIT appearances I’m not sure if there’s much difference right now....

The difference is we actually have an idea about who will be playing on our team next year now.

GT_EE78

Banned
The difference is we actually have an idea about who will be playing on our team next year now.
at this point i'd have to agree that our starting lineup for next year looks set and that the OOC should go better ..wait.... CJP couldnt blow it could he? like starting two guys for nine games who aren't even in our best core seven?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Banks should be the starter and should get the majority of minutes. However, I do not see the gap between Banks and AD as the same level as Lammers and AD (mostly AD is better) so I agree that Banks trending toward Lammers level 35 minutes is an issue/not warranted.

Right on cue... AD got 19 minutes today and had a really impressive stat line... 7/7 from the floor, 2/3 free throws, 16 points, 8 boards, 2 blocked shots, only 2 fouls, only 1 turnover, and 3 assists for good measure. His footwork on his post moves to get open shots in the low post was really nice.

slugboy

Staff member
My vote is Mark Price.

Our 3 point shooting would improve. Noodles Neal has a better track record, and he’s looking for work.

For now, Pastner is our big bet. The easiest thing to do is make sure the assistants are supporting him adequately.

If we replace Pastner, I think we need to bring excitement or overkill on the coaching side (i.e where kids think “you’d be crazy not to go there”). Penny is bringing AAU connections and relationships and NBA swagger to Memphis. I don’t know who we have that checks as many boxes as he does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Our 3 point shooting would improve. Noodles Neal has a better track record, and he’s looking for work.

For now, Pastner is our big bet. The easiest thing to do is make sure the assistants are supporting him adequately.

If we replace Pastner, I think we need to bring excitement or overkill on the coaching side (i.e where kids think “you’d be crazy not to go there”). Penny is bringing AAU connections and relationships and NBA swagger to Memphis. I don’t know who we have that checks as many boxes as he does.

Jarrett Jack would be the closest.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

I'd rather bring in a good recruiter and coach from a level below us. Hiring a guy with no record or a mediocre record because they are Tech men doesn't excite me

bos

Helluva Engineer
Pastner is staying regardless of results. No need to talk about replacement as it's too costly to fire him right now. Team just finished paying Gregory but still have Hewitt on the books until 2020.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
This thread is kinda crazy. Naming potential hypothetical replacements mid-season in Pastner's 3rd season? I don't know if Pastner will take us back to relevance or not, and I am not entirely thrilled about some of his coaching tendencies, but this is still a young team and we haven't even started conference play yet. I think this year's OOC schedule, despite the blown game against St. Johns (undefeated), the loss to Gardner Webb (bad, but not as bad as some of the bad losses in the OOC the past 2 seasons), and the bad home loss to ugag (unacceptable), has been better than last year. I'll be at every home game this season, cheering like hell for the Jackets.

GT11

GT Athlete
This thread is kinda crazy. Naming potential hypothetical replacements mid-season in Pastner's 3rd season? I don't know if Pastner will take us back to relevance or not, and I am not entirely thrilled about some of his coaching tendencies, but this is still a young team and we haven't even started conference play yet. I think this year's OOC schedule, despite the blown game against St. Johns (undefeated), the loss to Gardner Webb (bad, but not as bad as some of the bad losses in the OOC the past 2 seasons), and the bad home loss to ugag (unacceptable), has been better than last year. I'll be at every home game this season, cheering like hell for the Jackets.
Totally agree. Looking for replacements at this time is STUPID and harmful to players and recruiting

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I love Mark Price and think he was the catalyst for Cremins success. But you don't have to look really hard to see his Charlotte experience doesn't scream successful ACC coach.

Agreed. He was a great catalyst for success as a player, but so far there has been nothing to lead me to expect he would be successful as a head coach, neither as a recruiter or a developer of players. He may be no worse than CJP, but not a significant upgrade either.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

True. We tend to get caught up in the “what if’s”, when they are for the most part irrelevant.