Fire CJP + State of the Program

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Is this when we start a Fire the posters who agreed with Firing CJP thread?

I can never remember if we are supposed to be irrational and emotional at the end of each game, or if we are down to making hiring and firing decisions at the halves, or maybe TV Timeouts.. or something.

I mean all I know for sure is that the geniuses on this and other internet based boards are all star recruiters, evaluators, developers and coaches of talent so I just want to make sure I am #InternetMessagingBoard correctly

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer

I can never remember if we are supposed to be irrational and emotional at the end of each game, or if we are down to making hiring and firing decisions at the halves, or maybe TV Timeouts.. or something.

I mean all I know for sure is that the geniuses on this and other internet based boards are all star recruiters, evaluators, developers and coaches of talent so I just want to make sure I am #InternetMessagingBoard correctly
The fire CJP threads wont be starting until the 2019-2020 season in my opinion:cigar:

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

We beat Arkansas... but we've lost some really bad games under his watch. People are emotional about it, and they have the right to be emotional about it whether you like it or not. Some is over the top, but he hasn't made me feel very confident in the programs future. I'll be happy if he changes my mind. I think most realize he's going to get a couple of more years unless we finish this year and next with 13 or so wins in both years. I just don't understand the bashing back and forth, there are the guys who really support a coach, and there are the guys who don't, and the two groups just constantly bash each other. It'd be nice if we could agree to disagree and just stick to talking GT Sports since we all love the teams. Edit: preaching to the choir here, I need to do the same and not bash CJP so much and focus on the positives i.e. the players.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We beat Arkansas... but we've lost some really bad games under his watch. People are emotional about it, and they have the right to be emotional about it whether you like it or not. Some is over the top, but he hasn't made me feel very confident in the programs future. I'll be happy if he changes my mind. I think most realize he's going to get a couple of more years unless we finish this year and next with 13 or so wins in both years. I just don't understand the bashing back and forth, there are the guys who really support a coach, and there are the guys who don't, and the two groups just constantly bash each other. It'd be nice if we could agree to disagree and just stick to talking GT Sports since we all love the teams. Edit: preaching to the choir here, I need to do the same and not bash CJP so much and focus on the positives i.e. the players.
I was really being tic, for the most part I think there are some common errors we keep seeing rise up for this team around fundamentals that are frustrating to watch happen over and over again. That said, I agree 100% with you that we should try to normalize our in the moment reactions against the trend data for seasons. Year 1 was better than any of us had hope for, Year 2 was worse. This year is too early to tell.

Let's strap in, enjoy the ride, and like the dude make sure we abide!

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
call me a bad fan , fair weather or what not, but the way I see it is if our b-ball team doesn’t bother you then you’re not a true fan : anyway there’s no reason GT b-ball should be where we’ve been for 14 years (give or take maybe 2 seasons !!) We have a great tradition & are located in great geographical spot . I can understand why it would be hard for football to recruit & keep up with big boys because you have so many spots to fill on a football team , but all it takes is a couple, 3 good players to compete in round ball & we just can’t seem to attract them . Cremins must’ve been a miracle worker or the academic standards have gotten that much more stringent . The main reason this is soooooo frustrating for me is : we’re not gonna compete with Ugag in football for a while I don’t care if we had Lombardi for a coach !! Their a powerhouse now , but if we could dominate in b-ball & baseball it would make things so much easier to stomach , but we can’t !! Uga is bad in b-ball now ! I’m afraid they have a coach that can turn that around , maybe not , but they currently have 2 4* guys committed for next year & we have a Juco guy who doesn’t start for his current team , this is sad . We should beat uga in roundball atleast 7 out of 10 years imo . They have NO history or tradition & they’re embarrassing us . I think we’re realizing now why Memphis wanted pastner gone . Thanks Bobinski .

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
It used to be fun to be a GT basketball fan. CJP certainly is crashing and burning but I am more mad at GT for ever letting the program get in this position. They should do a 30 for 30 on how quickly we fell apart after 2004. Did not build on it one bit which is classic GT I guess....we should be great at basketball when you really look at what we have to sell.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
It used to be fun to be a GT basketball fan. CJP certainly is crashing and burning but I am more mad at GT for ever letting the program get in this position. They should do a 30 for 30 on how quickly we fell apart after 2004. Did not build on it one bit which is classic GT I guess....we should be great at basketball when you really look at what we have to sell.
I couldn’t agree more .. I don’t think we realize how bad we’ve been this century , especially since 04 . Why didnt we offer Keatts (sp) from unc Asheville

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The state of the program is that it is very bad. But it's still better than it was when gregory left. I think people really underestimate how not having any sort of upper class leadership hurts, and no transfers don't help that. Pastner may very well not be the guy, but we are still feeling the effect of gregory.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t buy that it takes 4-5 years to turn a team around in basketball. A good coach will do it in 2-3 years. The way we play is inexcusable. It bothers me more than it should I guess. I don’t have much to say other than Pastner isn’t the guy. Never was.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we're in that awful purgatory. I'm losing faith in Josh Pastner with the strikeout on recruiting this year. With a 4* or 5* next year, at least we'd have this solid trio of Alvarado, Devoe, and that recruit to build around. As it stands, we're likely to have a similar season next year as we have no new talent coming in (except Didenko??). We're kind of waiting for Pastner to finish his poor 3rd season, have a poor 4th and potentially 5th season, and then we start the coaching search all over again.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly I think we have to give Pastner time and wait until his players are upperclassmen. Can't just change coaches every four years. he young players have shown flashes. Just have to hope they keep improving and hopefully maybe we can finally land a big recruit.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think we have to give Pastner time and wait until his players are upperclassmen. Can't just change coaches every four years. he young players have shown flashes. Just have to hope they keep improving and hopefully maybe we can finally land a big recruit.

I'll give you that we need to see Alvarado and Devoe become upperclassmen but those are probably the only 2 players with ACC talent on the roster (+ Banks but he's gone after next year) and there's no new ACC talent coming in next year.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
The state of the program is that it is very bad. But it's still better than it was when gregory left. I think people really underestimate how not having any sort of upper class leadership hurts, and no transfers don't help that. Pastner may very well not be the guy, but we are still feeling the effect of gregory.
Gregory beat uga 4 times in a row

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give you that we need to see Alvarado and Devoe become upperclassmen but those are probably the only 2 players with ACC talent on the roster (+ Banks but he's gone after next year) and there's no new ACC talent coming in next year.
Amen