Fire CJP + State of the Program

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On a similar note...GT almost lost to Gardner Webb in football in 2008 with one of the best teams we fielded in the last 10 years. That team had multiple first rounders and guys who ended up playing in the NFL. The bulk of that team won the ACC Championship the next season.

Poop happens sometimes. It seems to be happening a lot lately with GT basketball...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The fact is that we did pull out the football win against GWebb(I was there for that, too!). A third string QB, Donte Booker?-who didn’t fit the 3O offense, I believe was cast with the challenge. Team was beat up that week, it was like the Peach Bowl in that we were getting stung with unlucky breaks as well.

We had no life to us last night, and it wasn’t just exams. I’ve seen us play after those layoffs since the 1960’s. This was different.

Another issue compounding stress, is the lack of excitement in the program. I don’t feel two of the Assistant Coaches are bringing enough value. The other one is having to try to save a recruiting class Internationally to some extent. This was supposed to be a CJP strength. Little is averaging 12 points, 5 rebs. in 19 mpg for UNC(it was a huge miss for us, which should not have happened). Yes, ultimately the HC is in charge of the program, or should be.

slugboy

Staff member
QB was Calvin Booker. I was there too. He couldn’t pass. He wasn’t a fit at QB for any scheme. He was a senior holdover in CPJs first year. He was a good locker room guy from what I hear. The next year he became an agent and got BeBe ineligible temporarily

Ok, back on topic. Something needs fixing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

There simply is no excuse for losing to Gardner-Webb at home. The talent, even in a rebuilding year for an ACC team, should be light years ahead of GW. Gardner-Webb student athletes take finals too.

Now having said that, we're exactly where we were predicted to be at this point in CJPs tenure - literally almost to the exact win total. When they hired him, they said he might not win a single ACC game in year 1. This year I don't know if they had a prediction, but I would imagine it would have been pretty close to 20 wins. So this might be the first season where we fail to meet expectations. But even if that does happen, they will never fire CJP this year. They won't fire him next year either. So its best to channel your energy into relentless positive to support for the team. Our home fans (who have yet to show up this year because of the holidays etc) give us multiple wins every year that we wouldn't have gotten but for the home court advantage.

Any time you spend wishing we would fire someone who won't be fired anyway until more than 2 years is a waste of energy in my opinion.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is disappointing, but we are such a young team. These guys will improve over the next two years. If we can just add a blue chip player to the mix we are going to be good, but that is a MUST.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This is disappointing, but we are such a young team. These guys will improve over the next two years. If we can just add a blue chip player to the mix we are going to be good, but that is a MUST.
A true blue chip player for the acc schedule is a top 20 recruit; not a top 45! And you need at least 2 of these guys!

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
A true blue chip player for the acc schedule is a top 20 recruit; not a top 45! And you need at least 2 of these guys!

We've had 3 recruiting classes now and there seems to be a downward trend, not sure how anyone can expect us to get a top 20 recruit anytime soon. We're a few years removed from the ACC COTY season now and our best recruiter was told to leave. His replacements have not impressed so far.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We all thought the football season was going to be a disaster after the Dook loss too. But i am pretty crushed by this inexplicable loss. The arc of CJP is not looking good and I understand he is owed 10 million through 2023? It doesn't really matter though because I cant see that any decent coach would want this job absent a ridiculous over-payment. I am usually an optimist, but lookin ahead, unless we get a great recruit, I don't see this program winning more than 5 ACC games a year for a long time and more likely 1-3 games. I have had season tix since about '96. this may be it for me.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
We were just as good with Brian Gregory. What a flop. And who painted the damn floor pea green?
No,no,no,no,no. Gregory was so good that the fans had to get excited about a win streak, NIT run in his last season. The team had to play .800 ball at the end of the year to make the F'n NIT 5 years into his tenure and that's easily the highlight of his time at Tech. Aside from MGH all other talented recruits that he brought in finished their careers elsewhere while he was coach. Captain Grad Transfer was horrible hire that helped the program downslide even more.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think all we can say at this time is "It is what it is..". Lets hope that this team looks better as the season progress before we write CJP off. As others have mentioned, we are a young team. So theoretically, we should look better at end of the year. Lets give the team a chance to gel before we totally go off the wall.

Now, if the team still looks like this at the end of the year, I think we are looking at a serious problem.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We all thought the football season was going to be a disaster after the Dook loss too. But i am pretty crushed by this inexplicable loss. The arc of CJP is not looking good and I understand he is owed 10 million through 2023? It doesn't really matter though because I cant see that any decent coach would want this job absent a ridiculous over-payment. I am usually an optimist, but lookin ahead, unless we get a great recruit, I don't see this program winning more than 5 ACC games a year for a long time and more likely 1-3 games. I have had season tix since about '96. this may be it for me.

Pastner has won more than 5 ACC games both seasons...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Do the players even give half a rat's ***? They dont seem to... They have talent! We have gritty NY guys and white dudes who can shoot and a center/PF that should be able to swat shots from a 6 foot point guard, but their lack of intensity I've seen in EVERY SINGLE GAME has me concerned that CJP has lost this team already...

Cant believe I spent 158 bucks on tix for this Saturday.... cant believe I'm travelling on the friday before Christmas, just to see the Bulldogs beat us again for the 5th year in a row.

tinduck

Georgia Tech Fan
CJP isn't a good basketball coach. He has his defenders in national media in GP and Wolken because they are his friends.

He just a well connected rich kid who's dad ran a successful AAU program.

The dude could recruit when he was younger because he was a grinder. He never could coach. He burnt himself out at Memphis and been chilling at GT ever sense.

I don't think he could grind anymore if he wanted 2. His heart isn't in it. He has a family now, and two big contracts to live off of.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
CJP isn't a good basketball coach. He has his defenders in national media in GP and Wolken because they are his friends.

He just a well connected rich kid who's dad ran a successful AAU program.

The dude could recruit when he was younger because he was a grinder. He never could coach. He burnt himself out at Memphis and been chilling at GT ever sense.

I don't think he could grind anymore if he wanted 2. His heart isn't in it. He has a family now, and two big contracts to live off of.

You're telling me he was a prodigy under Calipari and Lute Olsen cant coach a game? I dont buy it, I think he just lost the players after all, Lammers, Tadric and Okogie were the glue of this team. These young bulls have no cohesion...

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Went to the game last night and left shaking my head at what I had seen. Make no mistake, G.W. was the best team and out played Tech, had more hustle and could hit the outside jumpers. As for Tech, no offensive rebounds, one shot, miss and fall back on D. Alvarado & Banks are the only players Tech has right now. ugag will run us off the court Saturday, after Arkansas clubs us Wednesday night. Very disappointed right now.

tinduck

Georgia Tech Fan
You're telling me he was a prodigy under Calipari and Lute Olsen cant coach a game? I dont buy it, I think he just lost the players after all, Lammers, Tadric and Okogie were the glue of this team. These young bulls have no cohesion...

Yes. He can't coach. He's decent on the defensive stuff. His weakness is building rosters, and building a system to maximize his players abilities. There's no long term thinking. He recruits the best players he can get, and just throws them together.

He can't put a team together unless it's done for him.

GT_EE78

Banned
This thread is only one year early IMHO. Guess now folks understand why I was so irritated about the CJP premature contract extension.
I'm more worried about his recruiting than his coaching so if we're not dancing next year ,there's no way I'd be in favor of giving him a 5th year .
(That's just too much Gregory re-do for me)