Fall Camp Thread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Cry me a river Bama. At least ND and M St. didn’t have losses, a 5th down win, and a phantom clipping call to save them from a bowl loss.

Yeah....I’m still butthurt over the idiots innthe AP poll.

Yep we got robbed. At the end of that 1990 season, I thought we were the best. The UGA game was instructive. They jumped out to a quick lead with Sanford Stadium rocking and we were struggling a little on offense. No matter Shawn Jones, Emmitt and the guys kept their collective heads and calmly assumed control to win going away like a champion should.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’d read that as Taquon is more elusive but Tobias breaks tackles.

It is hard to say but based upon just one year I would bet that Taquon is the most elusive quarterback we have ever had. Not the fastest, that is still JT5 but for sheer quickness and ability to slither for an extra yard between defenders he just might be the best. Taquon has more gears than a 16 wheeler. That being said, I do hope that the blocking is improved enough to where he has time to make the read to keep or pitch. I am of the opinion that we must get the A backs more involved in the offense both running and passing.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to say but based upon just one year I would bet that Taquon is the most elusive quarterback we have ever had. Not the fastest, that is still JT5 but for sheer quickness and ability to slither for an extra yard between defenders he just might be the best. Taquon has more gears than a 16 wheeler. That being said, I do hope that the blocking is improved enough to where he has time to make the read to keep or pitch. I am of the opinion that we must get the A backs more involved in the offense both running and passing.

Absolutely right about the blocking. Taquon is very elusive, but he isn't a tackle breaker. Hopefully the blocking will be there to spring him and the A backs this year, instead of seeing them so often stuffed in the backfield before they can get untracked. That would make all the difference.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I share your opinion that we need to get the A backs more involved in the offense. Too many times last year TM just kept it when the pitch was there. He may be good at improvising but giving an A back with space the ball can be better.

But as you point out, if the OL/WRs haven't blocked, it doesn't matter much. 11 days to our first real scrimmage.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely right about the blocking. Taquon is very elusive, but he isn't a tackle breaker. Hopefully the blocking will be there to spring him and the A backs this year, instead of seeing them so often stuffed in the backfield before they can get untracked. That would make all the difference.
I just hope we see a much better all around QB this time around. Seems like the defense throttled him the last half of the season. After the UT game, I thought he had a chance to be one of the best ever.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think it's all about the blocking, specifically at the tackle position.

Yep. This has been a position that has been troublesome from the very beginning. Blocking must get better. We have a few weeks to work on it. I trust that precious time will be wisely used because we will need touchdowns not field goals.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we see a much better all around QB this time around. Seems like the defense throttled him the last half of the season. After the UT game, I thought he had a chance to be one of the best ever.

He still has a chance. Never doubt Taquon's will to win. He wants to get better but he cannot do it by himself. Play on the perimeter in both blocking and receiving must get better. Not just the receivers, mind you, but A backs and tackles also. This is a team loaded with experience on offense. Time to show what a triple option offense looks like when properly run.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I share your opinion that we need to get the A backs more involved in the offense. Too many times last year TM just kept it when the pitch was there. He may be good at improvising but giving an A back with space the ball can be better.

But as you point out, if the OL/WRs haven't blocked, it doesn't matter much. 11 days to our first real scrimmage.

With a RFr backup QB, I hope CPJ is telling him to err on the side of giving the ball to an AB or a BB. No doubt the defensive coordinators are going to try and make him keep it so they can beat on him.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
With a RFr backup QB, I hope CPJ is telling him to err on the side of giving the ball to an AB or a BB. No doubt the defensive coordinators are going to try and make him keep it so they can beat on him.
When being “safe” you generally give to Bback or keep. That pitch can be dangerous if your not ready, and the hits after a pitch are worse than running and you seeing the hit come imo.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep we got robbed. At the end of that 1990 season, I thought we were the best. The UGA game was instructive. They jumped out to a quick lead with Sanford Stadium rocking and we were struggling a little on offense. No matter Shawn Jones, Emmitt and the guys kept their collective heads and calmly assumed control to win going away like a champion should.

Yep. UGa came out absolutely hyped for the upset. On the first possession they pushed us down the field on pure adrenaline to score first. But we ended up dominating them; any worries from that first drive was quickly dissolved.