Fall Camp Thread

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Normally CPJ would be livid with the O for that kind of performance. I'm thinking his lack of concern means a lot for being optimistic about the D.

Not sure who kicked the 53-yarder, but having it sail wide right is a lot better than 5 feet short. We'll need that leg on kickoffs.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Normally CPJ would be livid with the O for that kind of performance. I'm thinking his lack of concern means a lot for being optimistic about the D.

Not sure who kicked the 53-yarder, but having it sail wide right is a lot better than 5 feet short. We'll need that leg on kickoffs.

It was King and I agree better wide than short!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It may be a while before we really know if the DEF will be an asset or a concern.(If Alcorn St gives us problems then we know early) .

I just can't see how this def with learning a new system and a less than proven front 3 (which pressures the back 8),can't look the part of a yr long work-in-progress.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Scrimmage notes from RamblinWreck.com:
  • The intrasquad scrimmage saw the offense and defense square off for a total of 13 series and just under 100 total plays.
  • The offense scored three times (one touchdown and two field goals):
    • Touchdown
      • 35-yard touchdown run off the right side by A-back Nathan Cottrell (drive: six plays, 70 yards)
    • Field Goals
      • Brenton King – 35 yards
      • Wesley Wells – 23 yards
    • The offense also missed a 53-yard field goal attempt which sailed wide right of the upright.
    • The offense totaled five plays of 20-yards or more for the day and had eight series go six plays or more, highlighted by a field goal drive consisting of 15 plays.
    • The defense recorded four three and outs and forced two turnovers.
      • Turnovers
        • Interception by DB Jaylon King at the defense’s 20-yard line
        • Fumble recovery by the defensive line on the offense’s 35-yard line
      • The defense also tallied 10 tackles for loss, five pass breakups and four sacks for the contest

13 Series is close to our average number of series a game. To only score 13 is not encouraging unless we have a top 20 D.

2 short FGs made and one long (53) missed. Any idea who missed the long FG? the offense didn't make the kick!! I'd guess King is the go to guy for longer FGs. (I know that the offense making the kick is all that was in the release. Guess we don't want to bruise someone's delicate ego.)

Were the KOs and punts live? I wouldn't think so given increased chance of injury.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
13 Series is close to our average number of series a game. To only score 13 is not encouraging unless we have a top 20 D.

2 short FGs made and one long (53) missed. Any idea who missed the long FG? the offense didn't make the kick!! I'd guess King is the go to guy for longer FGs. (I know that the offense making the kick is all that was in the release. Guess we don't want to bruise someone's delicate ego.)

Were the KOs and punts live? I wouldn't think so given increased chance of injury.

It was King :)

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck

Could have something to do with playing Graham without much experience at all?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I believe they were still playing everyone until after today's scrimmage. I haven't heard how many of the series were with the 1s or even 1s and 2s. Don't know that not scoring many points in a scrimmage says much about the offense, or that scoring a lot of points would say much about the defense. I don't think we will be able to judge where we are on either until after USF and Pitt.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe they were still playing everyone until after today's scrimmage. I haven't heard how many of the series were with the 1s or even 1s and 2s. Don't know that not scoring many points in a scrimmage says much about the offense, or that scoring a lot of points would say much about the defense. I don't think we will be able to judge where we are on either until after USF and Pitt.

I agree we won't be able to judge until after USF and Pitt.

I understand that there were lots of guys playing who won't be starting. But that is true for the D as well as the O. As everyone recognizes, we are just playing ourselves so it doesn't translate to real games.

But to miss a FG is not good. But we don't have Butker any more and 53 yards is longish. And I'd still assume that our KOs and punts weren't live to prevent injuries. But not practicing KO and punt coverage isn't good when we get to the real games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree we won't be able to judge until after USF and Pitt.

I understand that there were lots of guys playing who won't be starting. But that is true for the D as well as the O. As everyone recognizes, we are just playing ourselves so it doesn't translate to real games.

But to miss a FG is not good. But we don't have Butker any more and 53 yards is longish. And I'd still assume that our KOs and punts weren't live to prevent injuries. But not practicing KO and punt coverage isn't good when we get to the real games.
I could be wrong but I thought CPJ said 4 OL were out for the scrimmage.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I went to the bookstore today and ended up running jnto AJ Gray. Very impressive and respectful young man - he mentioned the gear the guys got at camp this morning and even asked me where my season tickets are. Said he would watch for us at the game. Our student athletes are impressive people.

Well, his daddy is a high school principal in Washington County so he had the right upbringing, probably with the uh, "board of education".

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I'm not worried about field goals. People forget that King was 5/6 last year and the only one he missed was the longest one he attempted. On that field goal, he had plenty of leg, but pushed it right which is what it sounds like happened during the scrimmage on the 53 yarder. I do agree that we need reps for punts and KOs though. Desperately.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And a few 42 -10!
By the way I was at a restaurant that had dining room with ND football memorabilia.
During their championships in the 40s and 50 s they went virtually unscored upon. In 66 they had some early games that had 3 total touch downs then it was zero except for the 10 10 Michigan tie.
Ditto , After their offense got rolling, the last 7 games was 40 -50 plus to zero.

Imo this type defense is or best chance of beating a well coached factory school.
View attachment 3955

You mean the "Game of the Century" with Michigan State who had Bubba Smith at defensive end and Jimmy Raye at quarterback. That year was the subject of a book on Alabama titled "The Missing Ring" that claimed the Tide should have been named national champions based upon their undefeated season and an absolute beatdown of Nebraska in the bowl. I can't remember which bowl it was but at the end the Alabama students were chanting "Hail Mary full of grace...vote Notre Dame in second place"
Why would Michigan State not been considered for number one? Did they lose to someone?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

CPJ hasn't been very complimentary of kicking during camp. It might be a concern. However, I am hopeful that King will perform more like his HS video and stats this year. One of the kickoffs in his HS video went over the FG crossbar. I am interested in seeing if he can get back to that level this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You mean the "Game of the Century" with Michigan State who had Bubba Smith at defensive end and Jimmy Raye at quarterback. That year was the subject of a book on Alabama titled "The Missing Ring" that claimed the Tide should have been named national champions based upon their undefeated season and an absolute beatdown of Nebraska in the bowl. I can't remember which bowl it was but at the end the Alabama students were chanting "Hail Mary full of grace...vote Notre Dame in second place"
Why would Michigan State not been considered for number one? Did they lose to someone?

Well, upon further review it would appear that all three teams have a case. Michigan State was undefeated but did not play in a bowl game. Notre Dame was undefeated as well and had the usual media adulation. Alabama was undefeated and really did not have any close games other than a very close game with Tennessee. Tech was ranked number 9 and played number 8 Tennessee the week before and pulled an upset. Tide fans claim they were cheated because of media bias towards the state of Alabama following the racial unrest of the early 1960s. Alabama was the subject of a famous quote by Vince Lombardi after the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl that year: A reporter asked him if the Packers could now claim to be the best team in the world and Lombardi (maybe TIC) replied "I don't know we have not played Alabama". Getting back to Iceeater's point about defense. All three teams had ferocious defenses. Alabama may have had a slight advantage on offense compared to the other two because of quarterback Kenny Stabler and wide receivers Dennis Homan and Ray Perkins but that is about it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I watched the ND - MSU game that year. It was Bubba v. Kevin Hardy for media attention. It wasn't much of a contest.

What I liked was the signs the MSU fans held up: "KILL, BUBBA, KILL". He did.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, upon further review it would appear that all three teams have a case. Michigan State was undefeated but did not play in a bowl game. Notre Dame was undefeated as well and had the usual media adulation. Alabama was undefeated and really did not have any close games other than a very close game with Tennessee. Tech was ranked number 9 and played number 8 Tennessee the week before and pulled an upset. Tide fans claim they were cheated because of media bias towards the state of Alabama following the racial unrest of the early 1960s. Alabama was the subject of a famous quote by Vince Lombardi after the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl that year: A reporter asked him if the Packers could now claim to be the best team in the world and Lombardi (maybe TIC) replied "I don't know we have not played Alabama". Getting back to Iceeater's point about defense. All three teams had ferocious defenses. Alabama may have had a slight advantage on offense compared to the other two because of quarterback Kenny Stabler and wide receivers Dennis Homan and Ray Perkins but that is about it.
Alabama also had a team speed advantage. IIRC they played Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl with NU having a tremendous size advantage. By the time the NU OL moved at the snap, "Bama's defense sacked both QB and TB.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
While I was excited to see the D limited the O to 13 points - which I prefer over the opposite scenario at this point - the first caveat that jumped to my mind is that TaQuon and Tobias were wearing yellow i.e., they were "tackled" by virtue of a single hand touching them, per CPJ. Pretty limiting in our offense, imo.