Fall Camp Thread

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Most of our qb's have/had that hit avoidance gene. The best I ever saw at was Lil' Joe. Vad, not so much.

I agree. We have had guys who, in the exact same scenario, would not have been lit up. They would have tucked and fallen forward. Vad just didn't have that football sixth sense. Wasn't he the guy who would turn sideways to get OOB to avoid contact when others (JN, TW, JT,) would have dove forward and under to get the extra yard or two to move the chains?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree. We have had guys who, in the exact same scenario, would not have been lit up. They would have tucked and fallen forward. Vad just didn't have that football sixth sense. Wasn't he the guy who would turn sideways to get OOB to avoid contact when others (JN, TW, JT,) would have dove forward and under to get the extra yard or two to move the chains?

Wait a minute. Joe Hamilton may have known how to avoid a hit when taking one wasn't necessary, but he was absolutely fearless when it was. I've seen the little guy dive head first at the goal line knowing full well he was going to get slammed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you think there is a chance CPJ pulls BStew from return duty to keep him fresh for wideout? I don’t recall us ever having a main target at WR being the returner
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was with the old rule. You now get the 25 if you just catch the ball. Brad is phenomenal at that. No running and no hits. I think CPJ will be more than happy to take a KO "return" at the 25 EVERY time. Just catch the damn ball and you are there.

Regardless of who returns KOs, why the hell do they always run straight into the wall of oncoming defenders, instead of heading towards the sideline like most KO returners do at other schools. It's not like he ever has any blockers in front of him at Tech to make a straight up the field return productive.

I think the new rule will make this much less likely.

But as always, we'll see. The first few weeks will show how all teams react to the new rule. It is a fundamental difference for KO returns. Hopefully we kick it really high and that's all the other team gets is the 25. Line drive kicks, like we had last year, will encourage returns that test our coverage ability. God I wish we had Butker, there would be 0 KO returns this year with his leg.