Fall Camp Thread

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
CPJ hasn't been very complimentary of kicking during camp. It might be a concern. However, I am hopeful that King will perform more like his HS video and stats this year. One of the kickoffs in his HS video went over the FG crossbar. I am interested in seeing if he can get back to that level this year.
CPJ has been less than "not complimentary". He's been downright critical. I'm worried about the kicking game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I believe they were still playing everyone until after today's scrimmage. I haven't heard how many of the series were with the 1s or even 1s and 2s. Don't know that not scoring many points in a scrimmage says much about the offense, or that scoring a lot of points would say much about the defense. I don't think we will be able to judge where we are on either until after USF and Pitt.

I completely agree. In the limited preseason scrimmages I have attended under CPJ there is a lot of rolling players in and out (frosh beside a three year starter in the line is not that unusual). This was the final look by the coaches to determine the 'varsity" vs the "scouts" starting next week. And Graham played a lot and struggled after missing a week of practice. Without a consistent D1/D2 Oline our O will struggle. Just look at the low scoring Spring Games where our OLine is usually a very mixed bag of starters, walk-ons, and young inexperienced players.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You mean the "Game of the Century" with Michigan State who had Bubba Smith at defensive end and Jimmy Raye at quarterback. That year was the subject of a book on Alabama titled "The Missing Ring" that claimed the Tide should have been named national champions based upon their undefeated season and an absolute beatdown of Nebraska in the bowl. I can't remember which bowl it was but at the end the Alabama students were chanting "Hail Mary full of grace...vote Notre Dame in second place"
Why would Michigan State not been considered for number one? Did they lose to someone?

Cry me a river Bama. At least ND and M St. didn’t have losses, a 5th down win, and a phantom clipping call to save them from a bowl loss.

Yeah....I’m still butthurt over the idiots innthe AP poll.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much my sentiments. After looking at the season results, I saw where Michigan State started out the year in the number two spot but the tie with Notre Dame did them no good and they remained there. My question is why they did not go to a bowl? I assume, perhaps wrongly, that they were the Big 10 champion which in those days was an automatic invite to the Rose Bowl. I see now that Purdue went to the Rose Bowl and played USC. They won but it is hard to believe that Michigan State did not go and the Boilermakers did as the Spartans won their regular season match up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
While I was excited to see the D limited the O to 13 points - which I prefer over the opposite scenario at this point - the first caveat that jumped to my mind is that TaQuon and Tobias were wearing yellow i.e., they were "tackled" by virtue of a single hand touching them, per CPJ. Pretty limiting in our offense, imo.
CPJ said it is especially limiting to Tobias, more so than Taquan. So that begs the question is Tobias faster/more elusive than Taquan?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Woody was at Wofford, so he knows how to play offenses like our’s. But, I would assume he’s just calling base plays to get the basics down.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not worried about field goals. People forget that King was 5/6 last year and the only one he missed was the longest one he attempted. On that field goal, he had plenty of leg, but pushed it right which is what it sounds like happened during the scrimmage on the 53 yarder. I do agree that we need reps for punts and KOs though. Desperately.

I'm terrified of FGs and KOs this year since CPJ says no kicker has distinguished themselves.

I gave King a pass to some extent last year since he had a leg injury. You are right that he was 5-6 for FGs. But the 5 were gimmes. Also he was 15 of 16 for EPs which are gimmes. But he was the FG kicker for 8 games. I think I remember going on 4th and long at the 30 since CP didn't have confidence in making FGs. 6 FG attempts in 8 games is not very many.

Assuming King wins the position, what will be telling even in the Acorn (tic) game is how far and how much hang time King has on the KOs. King only had one TB all year in 24 KOs. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1086957/index.html

While I was excited to see the D limited the O to 13 points - which I prefer over the opposite scenario at this point - the first caveat that jumped to my mind is that TaQuon and Tobias were wearing yellow i.e., they were "tackled" by virtue of a single hand touching them, per CPJ. Pretty limiting in our offense, imo.

Great point, I wasn't thinking about that aspect. In a real game the QBs would have gotten a lot more yardage and kept drives going.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The scrimmage reports are less than useful. We don't know who was playing for how long.

By this last scrimmage before game-prep, the 1's and most of 2's are basically set. Most of the scrimmage was probably looking for depth.
Agreed. Lot of caveats, including some we probably don't even know. Ex: Maybe we chose not to use our FG kickers in situations we otherwise would have?

With that said, I don't recall our O producing <= 13 points in a scrimmage in years past. And CPJ said TaQuon passed the ball well yesterday.