Fall Camp Thread

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
These post are pretty contradictory of each other.

Graham is no more than a scout team QB. If he’s capable of helping at WR put him there. He can learn the offense from a different perspective and will still get minimal reps at QB m. Mind you he has 4 gms to play with if doesn’t work out, redshirt

you can't learn much about how to be a QB in this offense at WR imo other than maybe some half field reads. But how often do we throw? 10-13 times a game? You can a little more at AB since you are reading similar perimeter keys and down blocks.

just have to agree to disagree. The kid would get alot of good reps and looks behind center all through the year even in scout. How many snaps has he taken from someones butt, irrc never in high school (may be confusing him with someone else)? How familiar is he with NCAA fronts, checks, speed. There is so much on scout team you get even if not running your offense; sticking him on the outside where AT MOST you see 1/4 of the field, run a total of 4-5 route combos, and only read the S and the DB does nothing imo. And its not like this kid will be an imposing blocker; god forbid him tears an ACL playing out of position.

I just think if he is truly a qb option for us, which, it seems he was up until this, leave him there; we have enough at WR for this year.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Has there been any news on Kenny Cooper coming back? If Lee can pick it up at C, I’m perfectly happy with him waiting to be 100% before coming back. If he comes back for the Miami game he might even be able to claim this year as a red shirt (barring a playoff run;) ).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And how does that help his development at qb for the future? Its moves like this i dont get. I would rather the kid sit behind the depth chart and rep only at qb for a year, redshirt, learn than blow away a year at wr (even if he rs) and drink from a fire hose in year 2.

Sorry folks. Dont get it at this early stage. I get these moves after a year of watching someone. Not day 6. Leave the kid working at a spot really hard to master. Imagine if tq had a true three years up to last. Boom. We are not that desparate at wr imo. Qb for us is key.
I'm inclined to think in this direction. However, I think coach was implying there's not enough practice snaps for 4 qb's. If he split them 4 ways, it wouldn't prepare anybody. I get the lack of film study in the qb room is a detriment to his development, but coach specifically said he's too good an athlete to keep off the field. My guess is it's really tough call with pluses and minuses either way, but if he can help us win now by moving for a year, that wins the day.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And how does that help his development at qb for the future? Its moves like this i dont get. I would rather the kid sit behind the depth chart and rep only at qb for a year, redshirt, learn than blow away a year at wr and drink from a fire hose in year 2.

Sorry folks. Dont get it at this early stage. I get these moves after a year of watching someone. Not day 6. Leave the kid working at a spot really hard to master. Imagine if tq had a true three years up to last. Boom.
KID MAYBE THAT GOOD.
Let's hope.

If not then what this says to the other backup receivers is problematic.

BUT IF HES THAT GOOD HE NEEDS THE BALL IN HIS HANDS EVERY SNAP.

Such wonderful prolem!

slugboy

Staff member
And how does that help his development at qb for the future? Its moves like this i dont get. I would rather the kid sit behind the depth chart and rep only at qb for a year, redshirt, learn than blow away a year at wr (even if he rs) and drink from a fire hose in year 2.

Sorry folks. Dont get it at this early stage. I get these moves after a year of watching someone. Not day 6. Leave the kid working at a spot really hard to master. Imagine if tq had a true three years up to last. Boom. We are not that desparate at wr imo. Qb for us is key.
I think the best prep for being a QB is getting lots of reps as a QB. At #4, you probably don't get a lot of reps. At #2, you do.
Second-best is learning the next closest positions. At WR, he'll practice what a WR sees in this offense, and what his decisions are on the route tree. It should make it easier to be on the same page with his WRs next year. Plus, it's simpler to learn one route tree than all of them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

My thoughts as well, but another poster made a good point, after another week or so he wouldn’t even be running and getting reps in the system.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Has there been any news on Kenny Cooper coming back? If Lee can pick it up at C, I’m perfectly happy with him waiting to be 100% before coming back. If he comes back for the Miami game he might even be able to claim this year as a red shirt (barring a playoff run;) ).
CPJ hasn’t given out much info on him. He did say Lee could still play center when Cooper gets back and Cooper play guard though.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
What's cool is the medical redshirt is automatic now.

I also think the new redshirt rules help this a lot. We can use him for depth initially and decide if we want to burn the shirt completely based on play. I probably wouldn't want to get him into the Alcorn game just in case.

However, it might make sense that he play this year and RS next year. Very unlikely he'll win the starting job at QB, and even if it's close we will still be well covered at that position between Tobias and Lucas. He'll get enough practice as the #3 but won't be needed in actual games unless there is an emergency, and that will be fewer than 4 games unless both other QBs have significant injury.

I was talking about Sanders

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Johnson feels graham can throw. But it will be an asset for him to learn routes 1st hand so he can get a feel for both sides.

I don't really expect him to play QB full time till 2020, maybe mid 2019.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
What a nice “problem” to have re James Graham temporarily shifting to WR, of having the luxury to play him in four games this season without the redshirt being burned.

Chances are high that he won’t be needed against Alcorn State or Bowling Green, so – contrary to the conventional wisdom (that I agree with) that those two games would be fine to play most scout-team redshirts for a little mop-up duty – here’s hoping that Graham, with his potential, is not used in those two games. Let’s hope he isn’t needed against USF or Pitt.

If Graham’s raw ability can be exploited primarily for a package of plays, if Tech can defeat most opponents without him, then great – perhaps use Graham against Clemson and at least one other ACC opponent, maybe two (VPI and/or Miami). There being an assortment of ways the season could unfold, and depending if Graham is used in only two or as many as three games, then the end of the season might present a tough choice: Use him against Georgia, or skip the Georgia game (since it’s non-conf) and save him for the ACC title game and/or a bowl game.

Of course, there’s the hyper-realist approach, too: Tech’s shot at defeating Clemson or Georgia is small. Don’t “waste” Graham in those games. Use him against VPI, Miami, and in two other games from among Louisville, Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Maximize his value against beatable conference opponents in the regular season, but if he’s not available (without burning the redshirt) for the ACC title game and/or a bowl game, so be it. At least he helped get us there, and he’ll be eligible for four more seasons.

And finally: If Graham can contribute greatly as a WR, or even if he’s just “average” but is needed for more than four games, then fine, burn the redshirt; c’est la vie.

What the heck, I'll let CPJ decide. ;)

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I suspect that after the other two went out CPJ just spun around, pointed randomly and happened to be directed at Graham. "You, go play WR."

If you seriously think he didn't take all the factors we're discussing into account when making this decision, you really sale CPJ short. I trust him to look at all factors and do what's best for the team. If he really thought having Graham move would hinder his ability to win, he wouldn't make the move. He likes to win as much as we do.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Love Curry’s comments on the new scheme with regards to backers. More complicated fits but he seems very pumped up on the change.

The Dline guys oddly seem, to me, a little less pumped. Surprising to me as their reads are supposed to be simpler and should free them up more.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm inclined to think in this direction. However, I think coach was implying there's not enough practice snaps for 4 qb's. If he split them 4 ways, it wouldn't prepare anybody. I get the lack of film study in the qb room is a detriment to his development, but coach specifically said he's too good an athlete to keep off the field. My guess is it's really tough call with pluses and minuses either way, but if he can help us win now by moving for a year, that wins the day.

Guys like him split time btw both rooms. I don’t know his study habits, but I’m willing to bet he take learning the O more serious if was in the 2 deep instead as the 4th QB.

Only practice snaps he would get this season at QB would be the first 5 of practice working on the mesh and maybe a on bye week behind all 5 OL. If James can be our Ryan Tannehill for a season, then I’m all for it.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Cooper is weight bearing and running, looks like he will be practicing around the week of Game 1
Does that mean he will play week 1 or will it take him a few weeks before he is ready? I really hope he is back for Clemson. Their front 4 on D is nasty. If Jahaziel is playing well at C, we could have a lineup of Bryan, Braun, Lee, Cooper, Marshall