Fall Camp Thread

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Strictly for practicing purposes. Needed to have that 2nd team offense out there if not a 3rd team. Graham is too far down the qb list to run an offense at practice yet. But he can block and run a streak route.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Tobias Oliver is the leader to replace T. Marshall unless something happens.... JG to WR/KR/PR just makes since

Its the James Graham show next year. May have been this year if he was an early enrollee.

I thought this what people wanted? Gettting the best 11 on the field. Graham is too talented to be on the beach and with the lack of playmakers on the edge, why not?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Its the James Graham show next year. May have been this year if he was an early enrollee.

I thought this what people wanted? Gettting the best 11 on the field. Graham is too talented to be on the beach and with the lack of playmakers on the edge, why not?
This based on what you're hearing, or just film?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Do you think PJ would burn his redshirt unless he's in the top 3? He's not going to sniff the field this year at QB so slide him into a position that plays to his athleticism and see what he can do during camp and early games ;)

And how does that help his development at qb for the future? Its moves like this i dont get. I would rather the kid sit behind the depth chart and rep only at qb for a year, redshirt, learn than blow away a year at wr (even if he rs) and drink from a fire hose in year 2.

Sorry folks. Dont get it at this early stage. I get these moves after a year of watching someone. Not day 6. Leave the kid working at a spot really hard to master. Imagine if tq had a true three years up to last. Boom. We are not that desparate at wr imo. Qb for us is key.

Last edited:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
And how does that help his development at qb for the future? Its moves like this i dont get. I would rather the kid sit behind the depth chart and rep only at qb for a year, redshirt, learn than blow away a year at wr (even if he rs) and drink from a fire hose in year 2.

Sorry folks. Dont get it at this early stage. I get these moves after a year of watching someone. Not day 6. Leave the kid working at a spot really hard to master. Imagine if tq had a true three years up to last. Boom. We are not that desparate at wr imo. Qb for us is key.

I’m not feeling that either. This offense doesn’t even utilize the WR’s enough for that to be a concern. So Graham’s blocking ability is that much greater than Carter’s or Jawkins?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
And how does that help his development at qb for the future? Its moves like this i dont get. I would rather the kid sit behind the depth chart and rep only at qb for a year, redshirt, learn than blow away a year at wr and drink from a fire hose in year 2.

Sorry folks. Dont get it at this early stage. I get these moves after a year of watching someone. Not day 6. Leave the kid working at a spot really hard to master. Imagine if tq had a true three years up to last. Boom.

Just guessing out of the box but maybe its a combination of maybe Graham could be needed at WR AND its the QB reps. If CPJ thinks he will be #4 QB this year and he reps at QB then the other three QBs get 33% less reps. Maybe CPJ wants the QBs who are likely to play this season get the more reps. Maybe it is about them and practice plans and not so much about Graham whose time will come at QB later. Also it is much easier to use Graham 4 games at WR than at QB (if he wants to play him but preserve the RS). And maybe CPJ does not plan to use Graham as the Scout Team QB. He has at least two walkon QBs.

Coaches sometimes do strange things for practice reasons. I know a coach who always made his backup center be the fullbacks. That was so the center could work some with the position coaches during practice and the backs could still have a center for their drills. To an outsider the fullbacks being the backup centers might make little sense, but it was a great facilitator for practice, and usually the backup centers were not used in games. There are a lot of possibilities for moving Graham to WR and like with many things CPJ does not always share his thoughts.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m not feeling that either. This offense doesn’t even utilize the WR’s enough for that to be a concern. So Graham’s blocking ability is that much greater than Carter’s or Jawkins?

He looks like an excellent athlete but I don’t see qb, then again this offense doesn’t require a qb.

These post are pretty contradictory of each other.

Graham is no more than a scout team QB. If he’s capable of helping at WR put him there. He can learn the offense from a different perspective and will still get minimal reps at QB m. Mind you he has 4 gms to play with if doesn’t work out, redshirt

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather see him sit and apply for a medical redshirt if we don't absolutely need him.

What's cool is the medical redshirt is automatic now.

I also think the new redshirt rules help this a lot. We can use him for depth initially and decide if we want to burn the shirt completely based on play. I probably wouldn't want to get him into the Alcorn game just in case.

However, it might make sense that he play this year and RS next year. Very unlikely he'll win the starting job at QB, and even if it's close we will still be well covered at that position between Tobias and Lucas. He'll get enough practice as the #3 but won't be needed in actual games unless there is an emergency, and that will be fewer than 4 games unless both other QBs have significant injury.